Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Brakemaster question

I have a power glide chassis on my 2020 33AL Tiffin diesel Motorhome. I would like to hook up my vehicle with the breakmaster 9100 , I do no have an accumulator tank. I think the breakmaster will work just fine without, since the compressor puts out lots of air. Going through the manual , Tiffin says it voids warranty if not used with air tank on a power glide or spartan chassis. Any reason why this could be so? Thanks
Gdoubleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's a legal CYA from Tiffin (and Freightliner, for models using that chassis). The caveat is that depending on where/how the 9100 is tapped into the coach air brake system, it is conceivable that a broken air line to the toad could cause a loss of air pressure in the coach and result in a brake failure. "Conceivable" isn't the same as "likely", but we are talking megabuck liability claims if it ever did happen and somebody was injured, so they need to be ultra-cautious.

My '04 coach with Brakemaster (and no accumulator) performed perfectly for the 12 years I owned it and hundreds or thousands of others did too. Then somebody raised the possibility of coach brake failure due to an open air line to the toad and the manufacturers consulted with their engineers and got scared. I haven't seen any documentation that such a failure ever actually happened, but no sane engineer would say it is impossible without extensive testing of failure modes. Mush simpler (and cheaper) to just mandate the use of an accumulator to protect the system no matter what happens.

So the bottom line is that you can do it, but don't try to sue anybody if something happens.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok , I am not really the suing kind . Thanks for info.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #4

brake away

the little air tank is for the breakaway. I think every state requires you to have a brake away system
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #5

brake away

the little air tank is for the breakaway. I think every state requires you to have a brake away system.
If you tare a hose the compressor will just pumping pressure and if it can't keep up your coach will stop as the brakes will be applied with lack of air.
I have used a 9600 unit. Its the same as the9100 but with brake away in 8 toads over 15 years best rv investment I ever made.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Breakaway is a messy question because towed cars aren't governed by the same regs as a trailer in any state. Most states don't actually require brakes on a toad. So you need a safety chain in addition to the towing connection, but not much else.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #7

I don't mean to argue, there are eight states that don't require brake away and if you are Luckey enough to live in one of those and don'd travel out of state your good
Old 01-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
thanks for the replies everyone!