Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Brakes grinding after first tow behind motorhome

I just picked up my (new to me) Tuscany today. I had dropped off my 2014 Ford Edge a couple of days ago to have the blue ox installed with Patriot 2 braking. We drove the motor home about 70 miles, towing the Edge. After unhooking the tow car, it makes a loud grinding noise when you touch the brakes and will try to lock up the rear wheels.The Edge had new brakes installed a few thousand miles ago. It was fine until being towed today. Any thought on what it could be?
Hoosblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
May have engaged the brakes in error therefore wearing the pads down to metal???
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

Sounds like the brakes were draging during the tow. Pull a wheel and check the wheels that make the noise.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like something went wrong with the Patriot 2. Have your brakes checked. They may have installed it incorrectly.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They must have changed something in the 2014 Edge. Ford says I can't tow my 2013 four wheels down. Trans will fail they said.

Hmmmmm.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry an IR gun and check all 10 tires and wheels every time I stop.

A dragging brake will show up very fast due to the heat it produces.

I think I'd talk to the place that hooked up your car and installed the braking system.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Parking brake left on?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

Sounds like metal to metal on a pad or possibly you picked up and lodged a stone. Had that happen once and had to pry it out before the car braked correctly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
They must have changed something in the 2014 Edge. Ford says I can't tow my 2013 four wheels down. Trans will fail they said.

Hmmmmm.
The 2013 dinghy guide says the Edge can be towed 4 down.

Sounds like the parking brake was left on or the brake system wasn't set up correctly.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

Check to see if the brakes are working. If you towed long enough for grime to get on the rotors it will take a few miles to clean them off.

The same happens to us if we tow all day with little use like on a highway. After a few miles of driving it goes away.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

We don't have a Ford, but a Jeep. We discovered very quickly that the new parking brakes have automatic features that can set the brake under certain conditions. Drug tires about 30 feet once before I realized the stupid parking brake had set itself.

Last thing I do EVERY time now is check the parking brake - after I've shut down every other system. Then my wife stands outside to make sure all four wheels are turning freely. Then I check for hot brakes or tires at EVERY stop.

Never had this problem with the older manual parking brakes. Sometimes automation does not serve us well.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your aux braking system to insure it doesn't get stuck in a position that keeps pressure on the brakes. Insure it is aligned correctly. Also, didn't forget to release the parking brake. I have had both incidents happen to me. The patriot system jogged a bit on the floorboard as I apparently didn't "lock" it in place with the seat and proper height set. Ironically I just replaced the brakes before the trip, then needed to replace all again including rotors due to warping. My p/b was my issue as well, when I was in a hurry to leave. Didn't double check everything as I now always do, and p/b was engaged. Didn't notice any drag in the DP, so off I went. Costly mistakes but in my case part of the dues needed to be paid for the experience. I find my problems are usually related to the "Indian" and not the "arrow". I hope your issues are similar as we can fix ourselves easier and cheaper than our toys.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSprinter View Post
We don't have a Ford, but a Jeep. We discovered very quickly that the new parking brakes have automatic features that can set the brake under certain conditions. Drug tires about 30 feet once before I realized the stupid parking brake had set itself.

Last thing I do EVERY time now is check the parking brake - after I've shut down every other system. Then my wife stands outside to make sure all four wheels are turning freely. Then I check for hot brakes or tires at EVERY stop.

Never had this problem with the older manual parking brakes. Sometimes automation does not serve us well.
We do this now after having to buy a new set of rear tires.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

We also check to ensure all 4 wheels turn freely before starting out. We have twice caught the parking brake inadvertently being left on with this check, once in our previous Jeep Cherokee and once in our Equinox. Both vehicles have the electric parking brake, but at least the Cherokee had an illuminated LED to easily indicate the brake was engaged. The Equinox does not so it takes a bit more attention to ensure it is not engaged.

Also very helpful is having a tire pressure monitoring system with individual tire temperature indication. The monitor will pick up abnormal temperatures from heavy braking, brake dragging, or brakes inadvertently being engaged with the parking brake or abnormal braking system actuation. I would not drive our coach without our TPMS on the coach and toad.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, motorhome, tow