Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Brakes on a tow dolly

I have a master Tow dolly that I pull behind our 2008 Bounder. The car is a Hyundai sonata (total weight 3500 lbs). By law Do I need a braking system, since I currently don't, and have not had any issues!
ToddGaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi-

I think it varies from State to State, but I'm often wrong!
Hopefully this'll bump you to the "active" column and somebody who knows more will chime in...

Good luck...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Several states require brakes for anything over 2000 lbs. At 3500 lbs, brakes will give you a margin of safety regardless of the law. I like surge brakes, have had them on a couple different boat trailers. They worked very well and were very simple. No controller to install in the tow vehicle. Just hook up and go.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The legal question is one part and the safety question is the other. Legally you you do need them in many states at the 2000lb+ level, however it probably will never be an issue (meaning you will never be stopped for it) until such time that something happens and it's deemed that brakes would have prevented it. If you feel safe driving without them chances are you'll be ok...but if you ever replace that dolly I'd be looking for something with brakes.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
We had a sonata on a tow dolly until I upgraded to a malibu. The brakes are a definite plus. when stopping, you're tow dolly wants to keep going forward. hard on the MH brakes. on more then one occasion I was glad to have them when braking on the highway. safe travels
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #6

Regardless of state laws, I'd have a braking system. And honestly a tow bar and brake system in the tow vehicle is even better and safer. 4 wheels braking is better than 2.
There's a link somewhere (I can't remember where sorry) but it was about a class A diesel with a tow vehicle that was in a bad accident where the driver's wife was killed. He wasn't speeding and on a panic stop on a pile up, he clipped the back end of a semi trailer. It was determined if he had the braking system on the tow vehicle, he would have stopped a few feet before hitting the trailer.
I know the stuff is expensive and sometimes a hassle. But just that one incident is all it takes. For me, I don't need a near death experience to know it could happen.
Sorry if this comes off as preachy.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #7

I had a Master Tow without brakes and my current Master Tow with surge brakes. I could definitely tell the difference when towing our Rav4. My original dolly had problems with lights so the dealer offered me another with the surge brakes, which I originally wanted anyway.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGaddy View Post
I have a master Tow dolly that I pull behind our 2008 Bounder. The car is a Hyundai sonata (total weight 3500 lbs). By law Do I need a braking system, since I currently don't, and have not had any issues!
Both Ford and Workhorse recommend brakes on anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs. They both also state that the brakes on the chassis are rated for the GVWR not the GCWR. Even if you're under the GVWR and the object being towed weighs over 1,500 lbs brakes are recommended.