Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #1

Question Braking system

I'm back again after doing a ton of research for towing my 2005 Honda Pilot, and I need to close on my decision of which toad braking system to choose. My narrowed choices are SMI Air Force One, RVIBrake2, and SMI Stay-in-Play Duo. I'm still very torn on which one of these I want, but I think that's my current preference order. Please provide advice...here's my analysis...

SMI AF1:
pros: plug and go, use vacuum power assist brakes on toad
cons: install time cost, potentially need to tap into coach air lines (although some forums indicate there may be extra ports that mean no tapping?)

RVIBrake2:
pros: small, auto-setup, push against base plate and not seat, portable, cheaper install time cost
cons: manual step every time hook/unhook, not bulletproof (depends on accelerometers and stuff, which may falsely trigger or not trigger), no vacuum power assist brakes on toad

SMI Stay-in-Play Duo:
compromise between the above...
pros: plug and go, use vacuum assist brakes on toad, more bulletproof due to 2-factor activation (brake lights+deceleration)
cons: middle install time cost, progressive rather than proportional

P.S. I did consider the US Gear system, which is available for my toad, but my understanding is that the company is having some issues based on my local supplier. I also considered M&G, but seems pretty much the same as SMI, and I have a more convenient installer for SMI.
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlake View Post
I did consider the US Gear system, which is available for my toad, but my understanding is that the company is having some issues based on my local supplier. I also considered M&G, but seems pretty much the same as SMI, and I have a more convenient installer for SMI.
Please elaborate concerning the US Gear "issue" rumor. Note we own one..
Seems we would have heard of US Gear problems here on this 75,000+ member site were it an actual fact.
It would be a shame for you to miss one of (if not the best system) due to a sales agency that couldn't get the system or, had no experience with them.
Our system is 6 years old with no problems and we installed. Couple of questions during installation which were readily answered by their tech support.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlake View Post
I'm back again after doing a ton of research for towing my 2005 Honda Pilot, and I need to close on my decision of which toad braking system to choose. My narrowed choices are SMI Air Force One, RVIBrake2, and SMI Stay-in-Play Duo. I'm still very torn on which one of these I want, but I think that's my current preference order. Please provide advice...here's my analysis...

SMI AF1:
pros: plug and go, use vacuum power assist brakes on toad
cons: install time cost, potentially need to tap into coach air lines (although some forums indicate there may be extra ports that mean no tapping?)

RVIBrake2:
pros: small, auto-setup, push against base plate and not seat, portable, cheaper install time cost
cons: manual step every time hook/unhook, not bulletproof (depends on accelerometers and stuff, which may falsely trigger or not trigger), no vacuum power assist brakes on toad

SMI Stay-in-Play Duo:
compromise between the above...
pros: plug and go, use vacuum assist brakes on toad, more bulletproof due to 2-factor activation (brake lights+deceleration)
cons: middle install time cost, progressive rather than proportional

P.S. I did consider the US Gear system, which is available for my toad, but my understanding is that the company is having some issues based on my local supplier. I also considered M&G, but seems pretty much the same as SMI, and I have a more convenient installer for SMI.
Many of us have filled in our "signature" in order to give folks a better idea how to respond.

I just installed the SMI AF1 in my car and coach. The break switch wire connection was the hardest for me under the car dash. As far as the air connections and mounting of the tank on my Freightliner chassis was concerned, it was no real problem. I had a question and SMI answered it clearly. If you are handy at all you can do the install yourself. I'm 69 years old and I did it.

I looked, as you have been doing, at many of the systems out there. SMI has a great reputation among the users and, once installed, there is no setup or adjustments. The breaks of the toad mimic the coach breaking. You break softly and the car does. You break hard and the car does also.

Look forward to seeing you choice and why.

Rick Y
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think M&G is probably the best of all in my opinion, i have used the Roadmaster and they are both proportional. The reason i dont use M&G is the install is kinda complicated and cant be install on all toads because not always room for the master cylender extension .
The taping into the air line is not a problem even if the 1/4 air line gets broke your air compressor can more than keep up, you only have pressure on the line when the brakes are mashed, i think you are missing two of the best.
You will have to think about a brake relay or brake light fuse bypass if diodes are used.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've already heard the points. I'm a two year fan of RVi for simplicity, reliability , and portability .
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote