Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to albawsadv
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Yes, I do. It's not that difficult to install if you are at all the least bit handy with tools. I got my friend's set up all on Amazon, and if you have Amazon Prime, no shipping charges.

If you do a search here (or over on rv.net) on Readybrute, you can see for yourself all the satisfied owners. it's simple, cheap, and reliable.

good luck

Ron
What did you do for the braking system for your toad? You don't happen to live in NC do you?
albawsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #16

I have the Patriot brake, Blue Ox base plate and Blue Ox tow bar. I got it all off Amazon and installed it myself. I think I had about $2,000 in it after the diode kit for the brake tail lights, wiring and miscellaneous small install parts. The Patriot brake was a little bit of a pain to put in and take out at first, but I am used to it now and use a bungee cord to hold it down better and now it is simple. It takes me about ten minutes to hook up and we are on the road. I did run a charge line after I had a dead battery after my first five hour drive. I considered a permanent I stalled system, but I just hated the thought of not taking it with me if I did change toads, or if I wanted to tow our second car at some point in the future. I guess it comes down to what you're comfortable with and what you like. Best of luck figuring out what fits your needs best.
NF_Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are getting the Blue Ox Alpha installed on our 2013 Ford Explorer for $1872.54 tax and all.
2bassbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to albawsadv
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Yes, I do. It's not that difficult to install if you are at all the least bit handy with tools. I got my friend's set up all on Amazon, and if you have Amazon Prime, no shipping charges.

If you do a search here (or over on rv.net) on Readybrute, you can see for yourself all the satisfied owners. it's simple, cheap, and reliable.

good luck

Ron
What did yo do for a brake system for your toad? Do you happen to live in NC ?
albawsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
I like the ready brute. I used it on my 2011 Honda and now use it on my Jeep and Mini. Initially used one of the boxes that goes in front of the drivers seat (Brake Buddy?) but it sure got old pretty quick having to put it in and removing it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
We recently purchased a 2014 Honda CRV as our toad. We are in the process of getting a BlueOx tow package. Does anybody have any advice for the best brake system for the toad. I have heard the BlueOx Patriot - quoted by the dealer at $1,395 as well as the BlueOx Surge Brake - Auto Stop from a fellow camper. Any advice or suggestions for a brake system for the toad?
Costs? Benefits? etc?
I have the same package but purchased our BlueOx Patriot used for 400 bucks. It was used twice and works like a champ. Use it in serval toads and is easy to setup and use.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Agree, it's the best bang for the buck. You can get tow at with interested brake system, it just the brake system by itself to use with any tow bar.

I don't recommend any brake you have to put in and out - it gets old real quick. I have had a Brake Buddy...
English por favor?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
We recently purchased a 2014 Honda CRV as our toad. We are in the process of getting a BlueOx tow package. Does anybody have any advice for the best brake system for the toad. I have heard the BlueOx Patriot - quoted by the dealer at $1,395 as well as the BlueOx Surge Brake - Auto Stop from a fellow camper. Any advice or suggestions for a brake system for the toad?
Costs? Benefits? etc?

Get the ReadyBrake from NSA RV Products! Low-cost, simple, effective! That's what we use with our CRV!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad