Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #29

Spartan Chassis
Air Force One

I have Dutch Star 40' towing Ford Flex. Works great. I had it professionally installed. Not cheap but great peace of mind while driving down mountains.
Gurleymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Just purchased the RVI 2 system with the TPI sensor for my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee based on the reviews, simplicity of installation, reaction time, my fear of lawyers, and the cost of the darn toad.
It would only take one incident and a lousy insurance lawyer regardless of what state I'm in to make a case that I'm liable without any system in the toad...granted the lawyers would still try and make a case anyway but at least I have some grounds to defend myself...
handstjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm having trouble keeping my brake pedal on with the RVI2, but the company warned me about that on my particular Jeep. If've tried all 3 positions, and now just run with the brake pedal off.

I've learned a little since we got the RVI2 - even at the most sensitive setting, I really don't get brake on the brake light (I installed one on my Jeep Dash) unless braking heavy. In a way I feel comfortable that it is going to do its thing in a panic stop, but I don't think it plays much of a role in casual braking. Not too much of a concern, because I went a while with no brake and never really noticed. It is good in a way as I was worried about those that would drag the brake down a hill in the mountains while using my engine brake.

Jury is still out, but it is convenient, light, and it meets the law and would be there for me in a panic stop or breakaway. Heading over I-70 to Utah in about an hour, anxious to see how it does.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #32

Jeep Wrangler makes an AWESOME toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Buy a light Toad, problem solved!
We could get a lighter toad but our purpose built Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has taken us to 50+ places you couldn't get to without a lifted / big offroad tire 4x4 vehicle like ours. Jeep Space - BrokerDon Unfortunately rough trail capable 4x4 vehicles weigh more than other toads but the places its gotten our family to have been EPIC making lifetime memories that our Wrangler passengers talk about decades later.

Oh and our Jeep Wrangler is also an awesome convertible for enjoying sunny weather and seeing spectacular scenery since nothing but the roll bars block the view.
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Same here. Never a problem.
Brakemaster
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow - just had to lock it up in Denver today - anti-lock brakes kicked in. Spending tonight cleaning up after all the stuff left rear bath cabinets!!

I have no idea what the RVI2 brake did, as I was too busy. But system remained full functional after that - did a couple of tests - all good. It might have helped and I didn't even know it.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I'm having trouble keeping my brake pedal on with the RVI2, but the company warned me about that on my particular Jeep. If've tried all 3 positions, and now just run with the brake pedal off.

I've learned a little since we got the RVI2 - even at the most sensitive setting, I really don't get brake on the brake light (I installed one on my Jeep Dash) unless braking heavy. In a way I feel comfortable that it is going to do its thing in a panic stop, but I don't think it plays much of a role in casual braking. Not too much of a concern, because I went a while with no brake and never really noticed. It is good in a way as I was worried about those that would drag the brake down a hill in the mountains while using my engine brake.

Jury is still out, but it is convenient, light, and it meets the law and would be there for me in a panic stop or breakaway. Heading over I-70 to Utah in about an hour, anxious to see how it does.
I was undecided about the RVI or Brake Buddy. The RVI people are great to talk to but it bothered me that it may not fit my seat without additional attachments. They were upfront about this. But the deciding factor was the fantastic trade I got for my old BB on a new vantage. Very satisfied with it. No special attachments needed.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Wow - just had to lock it up in Denver today - anti-lock brakes kicked in. Spending tonight cleaning up after all the stuff left rear bath cabinets!!
Yeah, I had one of those north of Vegas on I-15 northbound about a month ago, when some Einstein on an uphill on-ramp got in front of me, was out of ramp, and hit the brakes. I missed him by 20 feet. I would have hit him for sure and pushed him over the edge if I hadn't started gently braking 1/4 mile back because something twigged my spidey sense that he was going to do something stupid. Sadly, he (or she; I couldn't tell) came through on that.

Like you, I was too busy keeping my rig under control to look at the Even Brake light, lay on the horn, or anything. He floored it after that and was out of sight in less than a minute. I hope he was racing to a rest stop to change his soiled underwear :-)

Any time I have looked at the Even Brake light, though, it was doing what it was supposed to do. It seems to do it's job, although it's not a truly proportional, goes-on-when-the-coach-brakes-go-on system. The only thing I'd say somewhat concerns me is that at the end of one day's travel, the arm had somehow worked its way off the brake pedal. I always test it to make sure it's on correctly and even attempt to make it come off, so I have no idea how it did that. The clasp was still fastened and the pin was still in. It's a mystery. Happened just once, but that just once does make me worry a bit. If it had been in that state in my near-miss, it probably would not have been a miss.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #37

weight of toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Buy a light Toad, problem solved!
:
Pretty hard to find toads under 1600#'s?
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
I am still partial to my M&G system. No moving parts or electronics or adjusting. It brakes the toad based on how hard I am pushing the coach brakes. Darn sure less cost than other systems. Only drawback is that it is not available for every car. That being said - any supplemental braking system is better than none at all. As bluegiller pointed out, I think every one who has a supplemental brake system has at least one instance of a crash being avoided because of it.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow