Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Braking system - looking to switch. Pros/cons

We have owned a 2015 Newmar Ventana 4002 for a little over a year. We tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited with Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate. Currently using a Brake Buddy Vantage Select my son gave me when he sold his Class C (no longer RVing). It is about 3 years old and nothing wrong with it.

We will start our Full Time adventure in about a month (retired in January) and I am considering going with an installed braking system. Just getting a little tired of the setup on that unit and the space it takes in the car and when stored. Also, DW is concerned as she is not comfortable with setting it up (drives the motorhome 60%+ of the time, so that is not an issue). I like the idea of just hooking up and taking off (after setting transfer case, etc.).

I see several systems out there - Air Force One, IntelliBrake seem most popular. My Jeep dealer will do the install (don't sell them).

I have the 7-pin umbilical with the baseplate. Anything else needed for either one?

Pros/cons of each?

Thanks all for your help in advance!
JohnnyBuckI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the M&G brake system for coming up on 11 years and it's been flawless. Not sure if your coach has an air system but if it does this is certainly a viable option. I can hook up my system in 5 seconds and never look back. I don't have the M&G breakaway system but it is available. There are other systems that are probably as good, but I like the convenience of not having to install a box on the floor or taking 10 or 15 minutes hooking up a system and making sure it's properly adjusted.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

I use the ReadyBrute Elite to tow my 4 door Wrangler. Once initial installation and adjustment has been completed, connecting to RV takes a couple of minutes. Once connected to your tow points (plate) you connect two wire brake cables, the safety cables, and your lights and you are done. We have been very happy. Towed about 11,000 miles so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	237770  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll ditto Bob's comments. I also have the M&G system, but I do have the breakaway with it. Hookup is extremely simple with the breakaway cable and air line. It's a little more to install and requires moving the ABS motor out of the way, but once it's installed there is no maintenance or extras. There is an air cylinder which goes between the brake booster and the master cylinder. In addition to the breakaway, I added an air pressure switch which activates a red LED on the dash any time the brake is activated. M&G also makes their new 2.0 which uses an air cylinder to pull the brake pedal which is an option on vehicles that don't want the original cylinder.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

M&G for me too. It's simple, progressive, easy to hookup and it works great.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

Air Force One. Hook up the air hose and the break-away cable and you're off.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #7

I have the ready brute elite for my 04 wrangler tj. Great system. I use this towbare with the air force 1 on my wife’s 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. I really need to tow more to see if I like it. The air force 1 is all right it is every thing else I have to do to get the trailhawk ready.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
M&G for me too. It's simple, progressive, easy to hookup and it works great.
Snap in a 1/4 inch air line, and a small breakaway cable and you are done.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 AM   #9

We use the M&G braking system and breakaway system with our CRV. The only thing I have to hookup is the airline from the coach. A great system. There are other good systems available, just do your homework.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch