Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Braking systems

So I am setting up my vehicle to tow. I've got the bar and I'm still deciding on the lights, but what I want to ask you all is what braking system do you use and more importantly, why?
I've had some good advice on a permanent system, but the problem is I live in Maryland, which seems to be a barren wasteland of RV installers and repair facilities. I've also seen some good reviews on the self contained removable systems.
So, what system do you use and why?
42' 2006 Country Coach, 525HP Cat, 6 speed Allison pulling a 2011 Chevy Tahoe LTZ.
Remember, I'm really interested in the "why".
Oh, my original hesitation on the removable units was how well do they work actuating power brakes...... when there is no power? Do they do the job ok?
Thanks in advance.
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the RoadMaster 9160 unit. Hooks to the air brakes and is small and easy to install or remove. Also includes a break away switch and is completely proportional.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We have the RoadMaster 9160 unit. Hooks to the air brakes and is small and easy to install or remove. Also includes a break away switch and is completely proportional.
Did you do the install? I don't have a splitter in my line to tap in to. I would have to add it, and I don't really feel confident to play with it. How easy was the installation?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

I went with the M & G system on the advice of a professional towing shop in Ft Lauderdale. I had already purchased the AF1 system and was considering installing it myself. The shop told me they always recommend installing the M & G system behind a DP, unless the toad does not have room under the hood. The patented M & G pneumatic actuator mounts between the power brake booster and the master cylinder. Very simple, yet pure genius. The system has been put on many motorhomes over the last 30 or so years. Needless to say, I returned the AF1 system and got 90% of my money back.

Why did I choose M & G? The system is permanently installed, no electrics or electronics to fail, completely proportional with the air brakes on the coach, comes with a fail-safe breakaway system, never needs adjusting, quick to connect and disconnect the air line, nothing to install and remove inside the toad's cab, no worry that the toad brakes will ever be applied without the coach brakes being applied, when the toad is disconnected there is nothing else to do...it's brake system is still intact and works the same way it always has.

I keep waiting for somebody to post on one of these "braking systems" threads about a problem or failure with the M & G system. Anybody out there?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am going with M & G also. Just need to decide where to have it installed. Athens at M& G. Or San Antonio. From Austin Tx it is either a long country drive to Athens or a white nuckler down to San Antonio on I35 I don't want anything in the cab of my new Jeep.
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #6

I looked at M&G after I saw it on a FT. 45' Monaco with a Tahoe like mine. Only one dealer within a hundred or so miles... like I said, RV wasteland, but they were only 10 miles away. Guy said yeah, we used to do them, but I stopped 2 years ago. Takes 2 days to do it rriggt with all the adjustments. I don't have a garage big enough for the RV'S, and lastly, my guy can get 4 to 6 jobs done in the time it takes to do one of those M&G jobs.
I called M&G and they said no big deal, any good mechanic can do it. So I hooked them up with Truckin America. They do a lot of hitch and tow accessory work. Plus they had a guy who used to do air brakes. Ok so truth, I didn't want to be the first. Later I talked to the guy who was going to do my install, he was like... I don't feel all that comfortable installing it either. So much for my short love affair with M&G.
For what it's worth, if there was somebody close to do it... I'd be there now.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I shopped them all, and M&G is a good system.
However, you should also look at SMI Air Force One,
or Stay in Play Duo.
Both systems are do-it-yourself installable,
especially the Stay in Play Duo.
I've had mine for 5 years, and am completely satisfied.
I have the Stay in Play since that allows the car to
be pulled by any motorhome without modification to the coach.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Take a look at the Blue Ox Patriot.

Blue Ox - Braking System

There is no installation required. Simple to set.
I have had mine for 5 years. Works great. True proportional braking system.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #9

I had the M&G on my Jeep GC that got totaled. I towed over 100,000 miles with zero problems. On the replacement Jeep, in a moment of weakness, I installed the Roadmaster Invisibrake. Nothing wrong with the Invisibrake, I just wish I had held off and installed another M&G.

It doesn't take 2 days to install the M&G. My installation took about 4 hours which included running the air line on the coach and the installation of the breakaway module on the Jeep.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman50th View Post
Did you do the install? I don't have a splitter in my line to tap in to. I would have to add it, and I don't really feel confident to play with it. How easy was the installation?
I found the splitter block on top of the rear axle, there was an unused port and the kit included the correct fitting so I just used that.
Yes, I did the install myself. Hardest part was finding room for the air cyl for the breakaway unit. Not much room under the hood of the new vehicles.
I also did the install on our previous towed, a '97 Jeep GC and again the air cyl was hard to find room for. Routing through the firewall can be a problem too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I think the best portable system is the RVi2 unit. It's small, lightweight, easy to install and has great factory support.
Auxiliary Braking System, RV Towing, How to Tow a Car, RV Brake Parts & The Brakebuddy | RVi Brake
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Ready Brute Elite system. Did the install of the actual system myself, and it only took about an hour. I did have a mechanic install the baseplates on my truck, but any mechanic should be able to do that.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot the why. It's a mechanical system and doesn't rely on electronics or air lines to work. I can adjust it to brake when and as hard as I want. Easy install. Cheaper than most other systems out there. I've used it on 2 3000+ mile trips and several other shorter trips and have been really happy with the way it works.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ReadyBrute Elite for me too, inexpensive, simple to use, works great.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote