Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Broken receiver bar

While leaving a VA rest stop, heard loud bang. Was not yet on entrance ramp, so doing 20 mph? Pulled over and checked. The bar into the receiver was broken and blue ox lying on the ground. Cables only connection with RV. Attaching picture of receiver. I have a 2020 FORZA 34T, towing a 2011 Ford Edge. (Edge has been towed 45 k miles +/-) I always check connection when we stop, and did not notice anything. Where the break happened would be hidden. Slight damage to rear of RV, front of Edge getting repaired. Looks like the Blue Ox bounced up and hit the edge. Blue Ox has bent arm, will replace with all new hook up. Any ideas why or how this happened?? Harness is 10 yrs. old (?). Could metal fatigue be the answer?? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

Glad to hear the damage was minimal. I’m surprised the hitch was built with tubing, as ours is solid bar stock. I dont see much, if any weld in the picture, so I’m guessing yeah, metal fatigue. Was the hitch itself Blue Ox also? Do you recall
the # rating? Thanks for posting, a reminder to us all to check things more often.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

The receiver on your coach needs to be as near horizontal/level as possible to the receivers on your toad. Any variation up or down puts tension on the tow bar contributing to failure.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Second the surprise at tubing being used. My Curt tow bar is solid steel.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

The picture is too small to see any details
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Infamous Blue Oxs.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Infamous Blue Oxs.
Our Blue Ox has served us well for thousands of miles towing a Ford Explorer. Not one problem.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #8

Is this an extension or the tow bar? While the picture is low quality, it is obvious that fatigue is what caused the failure. The wall thickness should be at least 2 times that if not more.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

The way the op wrote this it sounds as if it was not actually anything that Blue Ox made broke, except a bent tow bar arm.

Looks like a cheap extension/drop was used
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Our Blue Ox has served us well for thousands of miles towing a Ford Explorer. Not one problem.
Ditto…. Same here. Blue Ox is top quality.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #11

Picture kinda fuzzy, looks like a lot of rust and a hole on top of tube which would be strange.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
While leaving a VA rest stop, heard loud bang. Was not yet on entrance ramp, so doing 20 mph? Pulled over and checked. The bar into the receiver was broken and blue ox lying on the ground. Cables only connection with RV. Attaching picture of receiver. I have a 2020 FORZA 34T, towing a 2011 Ford Edge. (Edge has been towed 45 k miles +/-) I always check connection when we stop, and did not notice anything. Where the break happened would be hidden. Slight damage to rear of RV, front of Edge getting repaired. Looks like the Blue Ox bounced up and hit the edge. Blue Ox has bent arm, will replace with all new hook up. Any ideas why or how this happened?? Harness is 10 yrs. old (?). Could metal fatigue be the answer?? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Can we see a better quality of photo? Have never seen a non solid drop bar in over 40 years of towing!
Old 10-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Broken receiver bar

Yes, it is hollow. Went to a few stores looking at bars. Only solid was for ball towing. Have used this assembly on three MH's. FORZA rating 10K rating on hitch, 6k rating on the ROADMASTER Sterling assembly, auto 4k. Yes when towing, straight alignment is what you need. Unfortunately keeping the same vehicle, does not always allow straight lines when several MH are of different heights it the hitch. New assembly, on a new car would add 2K+ added to cost of replacement. Check IRV2 toad ads, but never anything close. I will be replacing with a BlueOx, the Roadmaster served me well. Doubt that I will have that straight line. Thanks for all you comments. Stay safe!!!
Old 10-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mustang View Post
Can we see a better quality of photo? Have never seen a non solid drop bar in over 40 years of towing!

My Blue Ox Avail was hollow. 2x2x 1/4” wall thickness tubing. Never really liked how sloppy everything was. Glad its gone.

I agree, we need better pictures. Even a hollow shaft shouldn’t have snapped off like that. It would take massive stresses to shear off like what is pictured. I suspect there may be contributing factors.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote