Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I glad I posted - I didn't know about the "pivoting". So I will look for a Dolly that pivots so I don't need to leave the column unlocked.

PS. I'm not sure how the column locks or unlocks on the Lexus. It doesn't have a key - it uses a FOB and just has a Start Button. With a Steering Pivot Dolly I won't have to worry about that.

Thanks!
Be very careful with a tow dolly. I have had two and do not want another. My Master Tow with electric brakes had no trouble towing my 2012 Toyota Sienna GLE van, but I damaged both sides having to make sharp turns. This usually occurred in gas stations and parking lot exits getting back on the road. One time unloading the van I almost pulled the bumper cover off when the campground road had a low spot in it. I even made modifications to fix my dolly problems, but never fully succeeded.
I hate a tow dolly...I have since replaced the Toyota Sienna with a Chevrolet Traverse and I tow it 4 wheels down. It takes 1/3 of the time to set hook up including brake system and I never have to push around a tow dolly. I never want to go back to a dolly. It takes the joy out of RVing.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #16

I have a eze tow dolly. Not really crazy about it. When I get ready to unload, The ramps are a very big pain to connect to the dolly. It really takes 2 people to do this. Have to pull the car forward just about to the limit and then connect ramps. Very dangerous situation to me. I think I would like the permanently connected ramps better(tow master).
Old 10-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #17

I bought a 2016 Master Tow 80" dolly with surge brakes, spare tire and extra set of straps for $850 2 months ago. Toad is a Taurus SEL that weighs 3300#, so about 3850# including the dolly weight. Super easy to load and unload. Towing and braking, if not for the backup camera, I literally cannot tell it is back there. It tracks perfectly with no sway, no rattles or strange noises.

I learned on this forum to use the MH tail swing to maneuver the loaded dolly away when making 90 degree turns around the gas pumps, etc. Easier to do than describe, but it works. The dolly fenders do pivot with the pan, but there are hard stops that prevent the fenders from hitting the Taurus. I suspect the fenders could hit a wider vehicle, so take a few measurements to be sure.

My neighbor has probably put 30k miles on his 2014 Master Tow dolly with surge brakes with zero issues. Take the time to stop and check strap tension after a few miles and turns. I read that here and expect to add one or two ratchet clicks, and they were exactly right.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #18

I tow a 2017 KIA Sportage with an ACME , no problemo at all Light weight, easy to move around, never know it's back there and still getting nearly 9 MPG with a gaser. I still have to leave key in the switch and car in neutral, strapped down with safety chains.

Life Is Good
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last I read Demco built the U-Haul dollies. The one I rented and ones on the local lot all have surge brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'm ready to buy a Tow Dolly to tow our Lexus RX350 (which has a 4,180 lb curb weight and GVWR is 5,660 lbs).

Are there any brands that you recommend (or to stay away from)?
- or are they all pretty much the same?

I see "EZ-Tow" (the one that has the surge brakes) and rated for 4,985 curb weight and sells new for $1800.

And "Demco Kar Karry 3" (has hyd disc surge brakes) and rated for towing a 4,800lb vehicle. Sells for $3,600
From experience,
Check the wheel alignment on any dolly (toe in or out) before any money changes hands.
It cost me 3 sets of tires and visits to 2 expensive truck frame alignment shops to get my brand new Stehl dolly fixed.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
From experience,
Check the wheel alignment on any dolly (toe in or out) before any money changes hands.
It cost me 3 sets of tires and visits to 2 expensive truck frame alignment shops to get my brand new Stehl dolly fixed.
Good tip. How do you check this? Is there a method using a "tape ruler" (like measuring center to center (right side to left side) of the tires at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock potions), or do you need to go to an alignment shop to know?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Be very careful with a tow dolly. I have had two and do not want another. My Master Tow with electric brakes had no trouble towing my 2012 Toyota Sienna GLE van, but I damaged both sides having to make sharp turns. This usually occurred in gas stations and parking lot exits getting back on the road. One time unloading the van I almost pulled the bumper cover off when the campground road had a low spot in it. I even made modifications to fix my dolly problems, but never fully succeeded.
I hate a tow dolly...
Sorry to hear of this trouble. I don't have a choice to 4-wheel-down tow, unless I buy a new vehicle. My Lexus RX350 SUV is fwd and can not be towed with front wheels on the ground. My other car is rwd which would require removing the drive shaft to tow. So its the Lexus on a Dolly or nothing.

Can you explain what happened to damage to your vehicle sides? How did it happen? Is the damage caused by the fenders on the Tow Dolly contacting your towed vehicle's body on a sharp turn because the dolly has a "pivot pan"?

I don't quite understand this as it looks like the fenders of the dolly are "fixed to the frame" - the same frame where the tow vehicle's wheels are strapped. What part of the dolly came in contact with your Van?

If so, would this still be an issue on a "fixed frame" tow dolly where the vehicle's front wheels are turning on the dolly?

Is the bumper cover incident you mentioned - on the rear bumper (because the rear bumper is lower than normal due to the front end of towed vehicle being higher from being up on the dolly?

Lastly what modification did you make to the Dolly that helped somewhat?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Good tip. How do you check this? Is there a method using a "tape ruler" (like measuring center to center (right side to left side) of the tires at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock potions), or do you need to go to an alignment shop to know?
Just measure with tape.
My new Stehl dolly had 5/8" toe in. The cross piece axle had to be heated to bend it. The first shop tried to bend it cold.
The frame shops said that the dolly was probably dropped during shipping.
I recently found out that it was probably manufactured in China.
There is more info about my experience in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sorry to hear of this trouble. I don't have a choice to 4-wheel-down tow, unless I buy a new vehicle. My Lexus RX350 SUV is fwd and can not be towed with front wheels on the ground. My other car is rwd which would require removing the drive shaft to tow. So its the Lexus on a Dolly or nothing.

Can you explain what happened to damage to your vehicle sides? How did it happen? Is the damage caused by the fenders on the Tow Dolly contacting your towed vehicle's body on a sharp turn because the dolly has a "pivot pan"?

I don't quite understand this as it looks like the fenders of the dolly are "fixed to the frame" - the same frame where the tow vehicle's wheels are strapped. What part of the dolly came in contact with your Van?

If so, would this still be an issue on a "fixed frame" tow dolly where the vehicle's front wheels are turning on the dolly?

Is the bumper cover incident you mentioned - on the rear bumper (because the rear bumper is lower than normal due to the front end of towed vehicle being higher from being up on the dolly?

Lastly what modification did you make to the Dolly that helped somewhat?
The dolly I had was the larger wider model by Master Tow. The fenders are fixed and plastic. I first cut the turned out support edge off of the inside corners. That helped, but did not cure the problem. I then bought 2" wheel spacers and moved the fenders 2" out as well. My dolly was illegal because its over all width was 105" outside to outside. No one ever questioned the width, but I knew it. I used it that way for a 1000 miles or so and con not tell you for certain that that fixed the fender rubs. The damage was done to the Toyota already. The front bumper cover was unloading on a gravel road in a campground. The road was apparently had a low spot.
Go to U-Haul.com and see if they would rent you a dolly for your vehicle. The Toyota Sienna van is low and very wide at the bottom. The other issue I had was the pushing or pulling it uphill at times from its storage spot. Loading "dead" center, could be fun as well. In warmer weather after pulling it from the storage space, loading the van and strapping it down and I also added magnetic tail lights to the van when towed, I needed another shower!
I wish for you safe and happy travels. Mine are much happier not using a dolly.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:34 AM   #25

The Acme EZE-Tow Tow Dolly.....

Wow.... so much incorrect information on here being all puffed up to sound factual and intelligent.

Most manufacturers do not use locking steering columns now. For those cars you need the Acme dolly period.

The wheels are 12 inches, not the tires.... so tired of hearing that .... the tires are 22 inches tall. Radials, very dependable.

The bearings are sealed.... maintenance free.
THATS WHY WE PUT A 5-10 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL THE MOVING PARTS!!
Bearings, hub, seals, brake components, and actuator. The ONLY things that can fail on a dolly. The only things everyone else selling dollies DO NOT WARRANTY. We warranty them for 5-10 years because we know they will not fail and the only way to do that is take the maintenance out of the users hands. To say that bearings cannot handle the stress is flat out BS.... just nonsense. Been selling these for 14 years now.... There is no way in hell we would warranty ALL MOVING PARTS for 10 years if that was a concern. Look at all the others, look at our website and read the comparison chart..... tons of accurate truthful information there.

Yes, most dollies on the market are cheap low quality knock offs of the Master Tow, As is Sthel Tow. And yes, that design is well known to cause fender and ramp damage. They are all made in China, and have not had one single upgrade or change in 40 years.

So much speculation and chin rubbing..... it really is exhausting.

The only two dollies worth considering is the Acme EZE TOW tow dolly and the Demco dolly. If your 350 is AWD it cannot be towed on a dolly period.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:06 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post

The only two dollies worth considering is the Acme EZE TOW tow dolly and the Demco dolly. If your 350 is AWD it cannot be towed on a dolly period.
I appreciate hearing from a product manufacturer/seller - someone in the business.

My RX350 is only FWD. Lexus says it can only be towed with front wheels on a Dolly. Teh curb weight is 4,180lbs.

My concern is that this SUV has a locking steering column (but it is electric-mechanical lock, meaning it doesn't unlock mechanically with just a key in the column ignition. It has a push button start. I don't know if it unlocks and stays unlocked with key "FOB" sitting in the car or if the ignition has to be left On. I need to investigate this more. But with a pivot pan dolly, I would not need to be concerned about having the column "unlocked" while towing - as I understand this).

So the Acme EZE Tow is a "fixed frame" dolly as I understand it, and the Master Tow is a "pivot pan" design. Both look like nice dollys, have hydraulic surge brakes, and are rated to carry my 350. They are priced about the same.

Can you elaborate on the Pros and Cons of both styles. When is one style the better choice over the other?

PS. The Demco is twice the price - and has the "auto steer" (pivot pan?). If I need/want a pivot pan style, why would you recommend the expensive Demco over the Master Tow? What makes Demco so much better?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 AM   #27

The Demco has actual steering wheels, like a car, not a swivel pan. That adds to the weight and cost, but the car is not going to move between the fenders.

All of the tow dolly I've looked at, in stores or online, with the exception of Acme, use some kind of steering system. That made sense to me and led me to shopping for one with a swivel pan.

Wanting to see the dolly, before buying, led me to a local dealer of Stehl Tow. They had about 9 to pick from. They stocked dollys with no brakes, electric brakes and surge disk brakes. I picked the surge brakes.
Sure, its made in China, but its towing a car made in Korea.

It's well built, has no alignment issues and with 30,000 miles on it, is ready for at least 20,000 more before needing the $12.00 brake pads, I thought I might need and now carry with me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #28

Acme Tow Dolly

There is a process for leaving your column unlocked. If you email our office they will send you the instructions for doing so. The Master Tow would most likely damage your car just be aware of that. Again, the only two dollies I recommend is the Acme dolly and Demco. Our website goes to to extensive detail about all the reasons we recommend our dolly over the others. There is a lot of information there. Be sure to understand the warranty process. Acme and Demco have the best warranty service, Acme has the most comprehensive and longest warranty.

www.cartowdolly.com

www.dieselgastrailer.com

acmetowdolly@gmail.com
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dolly, tow, tow dolly