Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Cadillac SRX as a toad

I'm considering buying a Cadilac SRX to use as a toad for my Newmarket Dutchstar. Any opinions plus or minus?
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I owned a 2010 SRX and it was an easy tow. There is a button under the shift boot that has to be pressed, but that's all that has to be done. Are you looking at new? If so, make sure to discuss towing with the salesperson.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSepulveda View Post
I'm considering buying a Cadilac SRX to use as a toad for my Newmarket Dutchstar. Any opinions plus or minus?
You didn't mention the year you intend to tow. We tow a 2011 with a Blueox setup, no grill trimming was needed at all. Depress the button under the shifter boot is all that is needed. No fuse, no switch to install, no key to unlock the steering. Very easy.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

We tow a 2012 SRX behind our Newmar Ventana, no problems at all! Not sure the 2014 is towable tho, wasn't listed as being towable in the Motorhome towing guide.
gda raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gda raiser View Post
We tow a 2012 SRX behind our Newmar Ventana, no problems at all! Not sure the 2014 is towable tho, wasn't listed as being towable in the Motorhome towing guide.

The 2014 SRX Owners Manual list it as being Dingy towable.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 99 deville concours as our toad we Carrie her on a KarKaddyss and she rides just fine and there is no button to push. drive her up on the ramps and strap her down plug in the lights and off we go.
I would double check with the dealer or check out the owners manual, Best O luck to you.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The 2014 SRX Owners Manual list it as being Dingy towable.
Where is this button?
Do you have to remove the boot to find it?
What does it do?
DW does not me to "destroy" her SRX so we can tow it.
How can I convince her.
Thanks
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Thumbs up Towing an SRX

I have a 2012 SRX that we tow 4 wheels down behind a 2005 Airstream 30 ft gas. Have probably towed the SRX about 4ooo miles without a problem. I use Blue Ox towbars with a US Gear permanent setup for the braking in the toad. I installed the Blue Ox front tow plate, the US Gear braking device/wiring, and the rear permant wiring for the stop, tail, turn signals in the SRX myself. Not too hard to do and you save big $$ at the expense of your time but when you are retired, it's almost fun.
Before you tow, according to the owners manual you need to pry up the edge of the boot around the shifter ( I use a small flat screwdriver) so that you can stick same screwdriver in the hole nearest the motor and then shift from park to neutral. Engine,lights radio etc must be "off". It helps to learn where the neutral position is by first trying this with the engine "on". You can then lift the boot to see where the neutral position of the shifter is. (With the engine on your shifter position will light up on the dash.)
As far as I know pressing the button in the hole lets you shift from park to neutral without starting your engine and putting your foot on the brake pedal. This frees up the steering wheel so that the front wheels will turn to follow your M/H. I believe that it also negates the need to pull a fuse as you need to do for some other vehicles. And no the odometer does not move when under tow.
Also your owners manual will tell you to run the engine for 10 minutes before you start your days towing, when you stop for lunch or fuel and when you are finished towing for the day. This lubricates your tranny and cools it off.
Also your manual indicates that your top speed should be no more than 65 MPH when towing to avoid overheating the tranny. I tow around 60 mph.
Hope that this info helps.
woodytrwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad