Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Cadillac SRX - Too heavy?

After three years of towing just a small trailer with two motorcycles, we've decided to take the plunge and tow a car. Here's the issue: I can pick up an inexpensive 3rd car just for towing (a small Jeep, etc) and come in at just over 3,000lb, but then I have the hassle (and expense) of three cars. Our primary car is an older SRX that can't be towed, but the newer ones can. Obviously, the SRX can be a great primary car as well, but the thing weight 4,300lbs!

So the question: What happens when you put over two tons behind a 40' diesel pusher with a Cummins 360? (2010 version). Am I doing 20MPH white knuckled up hills? Does mileage drop significantly? I've been so happy with the Tuscany to date, I don't want to screw anything up now!

Niel Powers
2011 Thor Tuscany XTE
Colorado Springs, CO
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Honda Pilot weighs about that, our coach has the 300 HP Cummins C8.3 engine. Honestly, we don't know the toad is there! As near as I have been able to tell, the fuel mileage is about 1/2 mpg less when pulling the Honda.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If your SRX is 4300 lbs, you shouldn't have any problems, I've towed a Lincoln MKX over 25,000 miles, it weighed 4300 lbs, and I now tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee, close to 5000 lbs with no problems.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was going to say that our toad is a 99 deville concurs and we have a KarKatty SS behind a 30 ft MH with a 454 and have no problems and the surge breaks work wonderful.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We tow a Tahoe at 5150 lbs with a 350 Cat. Don't know it is there.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow fine a ~5000 lb Jeep with my 37' gasser. You will be ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We tow the Cadillac SRX. It has worked out great for us. We have a 40' Tuscany but with the ISL Cummins engine.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
We tow our pickup behind our 40', 350HP ISC pusher. It does not know the extra weight is there. We have not noticed any decline in fuel economy, nor do we slow down on the hills in the NE. The truck is a 4 door long one so our total length gets near the NY max of 65'. We use the rear camera all the time, especially after passing someone.

We use a RoadMaster BlackHawk towbar. We needed the extra capacity and it cost the same as those of lower capacity.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

I tow a 4 door long bed Chevy with a golf cart total 7000 lbs behind a 2013 excursion 33a just went from maryland to Ohio 10.5 mpg with no problems
Piperflyer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTuscany View Post
After three years of towing just a small trailer with two motorcycles, we've decided to take the plunge and tow a car. Here's the issue: I can pick up an inexpensive 3rd car just for towing (a small Jeep, etc) and come in at just over 3,000lb, but then I have the hassle (and expense) of three cars. Our primary car is an older SRX that can't be towed, but the newer ones can. Obviously, the SRX can be a great primary car as well, but the thing weight 4,300lbs!

So the question: What happens when you put over two tons behind a 40' diesel pusher with a Cummins 360? (2010 version). Am I doing 20MPH white knuckled up hills? Does mileage drop significantly? I've been so happy with the Tuscany to date, I don't want to screw anything up now!

Niel Powers
2011 Thor Tuscany XTE
Colorado Springs, CO
Neil,
First off, "What" jeep is going to be 3000 lbs? 99.9999% of the Wranglers made for the last umpteen years weigh over 4,000 lbs, especially if you add ANYTHING like heavy duty bumpers, lifts, larger tires and wheels, nerf bars and all that crap, ( I know because I built 7 different Wranglers of all model years). I have no idea what a Liberty weighs but, I'll bet my house it's way over 3,000 lbs.

Most people that claim that they "can't feel it back there" are a bit off. It's there, and it's going to make a difference. Where it makes more or less difference is when you've got a monster motor like a 500 or 600 hp rig. As stated, we towed 7 different Jeeps and most recently a 2011 CRV which, was a good toad but, it didn't work out for us so, we sold it and now we tow a full sized, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab, 4x4 with a Rampage lift in the back carrying a 2008 Honda Goldwing GL 1800.

Now, our rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 HP CAT and Allison MH3000 trans, tows the GMC w/Bike on board very nice. It's not a rocket ship by no means. But, on flat ground, it does well. With your new 360 Cummins, you'd have an easy time towing most of the normal toads out there.

Yeah, you're going to slow down on many grades, so what, join the crowd. We just did a trip in CA up the 395 from San Diego to the Sierras and, two grades slowed us down a bit. The first one, the Cajon Pass in San Bernadino which we did at about 40 and the second grade, a serious long, steep one, out of Bishop on the north side, we did about 32 on. No biggie, we made it and all was fine.

The cost of a toad, is what you make of it. We don't move an inch without a toad. We've been broken down without one. NEVER AGAIN! I don't care if I'm going camping 20 miles from home, the toad's going with us. You never know when a $4.00 part will shut down a 30,000 lb. rig.

If you Cadillac is towable, you'll be fine, as long as you're not over the GCWR of the coach. And that's another thing. DO NOT BELEIVE ANY OF THE WEIGHTS listed in the Dinghy Towing Guides!! I've proved them wrong each and every time. Our GMC is supposed to weigh 4,877 according to the guide, yeah sure it is. I weighed it on a certified scale as soon as we bought it a couple of months ago and it came in at 5,300 on the nose.

So, the smart move is, know your GCWR, get the coach weighed with everything loaded like you're going on a trip and then, subtract that weight from the GVWR so you can come up the amount of weight your toad can be before you're over weight. Now, at that point, it's up to you as to how close you come to the GCWR. And, if an intended toad, like your Cadillac is within the limits, and, you're willing to drag it along, and, it's flat towable, then you're good to go. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

Towing the SRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuppajoe View Post
We tow the Cadillac SRX. It has worked out great for us. We have a 40' Tuscany but with the ISL Cummins engine.
Way cool! I think we just bought a 2012 SRX. So any advice from this point on? The dealer told me that their collision center would install the base plate if I purchased it. They thought Blue Ox would be best, and I think I agree after looking at the instructions for both it and the Roadmaster. What kind of braking system are you using?

I got the tech bulletin that explained how to lift the shift lever cover and press the manual override to tow. Any other advice?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm excited to find someone else towing an SRX.
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a long box F150 with a 1984 Goldwing in the back. They weigh in at just under 6000#. This is being pulled with a Ford V10. Slowed a bit in the Siskyous but I must admit I am more concerned about the braking capacity. With diesel you should have exhaust brake and I am relying on a brake buddy.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have I got a deal for you. Blue Ox baseplate #1690 that fits a Cadiliac SRX 2010 - 2013. $100.00. No longer have SRX, now pulling a 2011 Tahoe. Never any problem pulling with Cummins 350hp. Private message me if interested. Read more in classified section of forum.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another 4300 lb MKX pulled with a 8.1 gas and no problems, definitely no 20 MPH up hills.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote