Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Campgrounds and towing enclosed trailers

So we are interested in towing an enclosed trailer with our coach, people that have towed those trailers what kind of feedback would you have for someone interested in doing that pros cons thanks so much, we are tired of the dirt and rocks that comes with flat towing..
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
So we are interested in towing an enclosed trailer with our coach, people that have towed those trailers what kind of feedback would you have for someone interested in doing that pros cons thanks so much, we are tired of the dirt and rocks that comes with flat towing..
Hello! It just adds one more step to making reservations for me is all........When I call, I tell them what I have and ask about if it can remain hooked up(long pull through) storing it while I am there, and if they have means to move it if I just drop it(I also can move it).
Most all places that I have encountered, have a tractor with a 3 point hitch, so when I drop it at check in, they will move it to their storage area, and place it so it is usable during our stay( Hog inside) and then place it where I can hookup when leaving. As long as you inform them or ask if they can handle/store it for your stay, you should not have any problems. I have called a couple places where they had no where to store it for my visit........I just keep looking. With the "Big pull-throughs" in a lot of places today.........makes it better, the only problem is that where the connections are placed in these long ones.....in the middle, so when you pull to the front to fit the Coach and trailer in......... I would think, if sites that long were made for one reason......long rigs...........why not locate the hook ups toward the front of the pull-through I always think to myself when looking at them.......back by the front of the trailer. Oh well, good luck in your quest!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
palehorse89 how long is your rig, ours is 42'
Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I think (if I had to do this over) that I would have invested in an enclosed trailer instead of having to deal with the whole Toad setup "thing." We are often boondocking where space is not an issue ... and when in CGs it seems that there are usually places to stash the trailer.

But I really like the idea of having a mobile workshop/garage wherever we go.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The hubs drives our 36 ft Class A, I drive our truck pulling our 16 ft enclosed trailer with motorcycles. I just call ahead and tell them what I have and if they can accommodate us. Only a couple of times have we had to park the enclosed trailer away from our site. Quite a few RV parks do have a truck that they will use to move your trailer if you are towing it behind an MH.
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
palehorse89 how long is your rig, ours is 42'
41' Coach.......With trailer......70' end to end plus mirrors, I don't measure to them
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
42' plus 24' v nose; biggest inconvenience for me is when I take the coach in for service, I don't like hooking trailer up, loading and unloading, and unhooking for a short distance. I usually wait for the service or have someone pick me up.

I rarely have to unhook but when I do if I don't have my Escalade they will provide an area to drop the trailer or move it for me. I haven't had to pay extra for the trailer yet.

As with anything, there is some pros and cons, but for me the pros far outweigh towing on a dolly or 4 down as I have done all three. But my main goal was to take my Harley with me and tired of the damage to the front end of my vehicles while towing, Midwest this time of year is like a sand blaster hitting the front end going down the highway. I pay for inside storage for the trailer and take it once per year to have bearing repacked, that has been the other 2 things you will have that you don't with 4 down.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello! It just adds one more step to making reservations for me is all........When I call, I tell them what I have and ask about if it can remain hooked up(long pull through) storing it while I am there, and if they have means to move it if I just drop it(I also can move it).
Most all places that I have encountered, have a tractor with a 3 point hitch, so when I drop it at check in, they will move it to their storage area, and place it so it is usable during our stay( Hog inside) and then place it where I can hookup when leaving. As long as you inform them or ask if they can handle/store it for your stay, you should not have any problems. I have called a couple places where they had no where to store it for my visit........I just keep looking. With the "Big pull-throughs" in a lot of places today.........makes it better, the only problem is that where the connections are placed in these long ones.....in the middle, so when you pull to the front to fit the Coach and trailer in......... I would think, if sites that long were made for one reason......long rigs...........why not locate the hook ups toward the front of the pull-through I always think to myself when looking at them.......back by the front of the trailer. Oh well, good luck in your quest!
I agree with the utility location hook up, I bought a power extension cord and have had to use it a few times, but that solved this problem for me. Amazon had a fair price on one, I bought 25'.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
that's great, we would really like to take a car that can not be towed 4 down, or dolly towed, this sounds like a simple solution. we currently tow our truck 4 down but it has been blasted heavy with rocks..
how much have folks paid and what size is best?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
that's great, we would really like to take a car that can not be towed 4 down, or dolly towed, this sounds like a simple solution. we currently tow our truck 4 down but it has been blasted heavy with rocks..
how much have folks paid and what size is best?
Here is a great thread, lots of photos, and opinion's.......
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trai...ig-181760.html
My trailer is in the thread somewhere........
Here is a thread I started when I received my new trailer
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/my-ne...ed-203681.html
One thing nice about MTI, is that "you "custom build it, spec. out everything, and they build it for you. Mine turned out better than I expected!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

Our motorhome and open trailer only measures 52 ft. so we don't usually have any problem fitting into pull through sites - and I can back in with no problem if needed. One neat thing we do if going to a specific area is to view the site with Google Earth, and use the measuring tool. That way, I can be sure of the site length. It's Google Earth, not Google Maps. Find your campground, zoom in to a specific site, Look on the tool bar, click on "Tools", and use your curser to click on start and end of what you want to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Our motorhome and open trailer only measures 52 ft. so we don't usually have any problem fitting into pull through sites - and I can back in with no problem if needed. One neat thing we do if going to a specific area is to view the site with Google Earth, and use the measuring tool. That way, I can be sure of the site length. It's Google Earth, not Google Maps. Find your campground, zoom in to a specific site, Look on the tool bar, click on "Tools", and use your curser to click on start and end of what you want to measure.
Thank you so much for this info. George I have been using GE for years now, and I have read about folks measuring sites while using it, and I did not know how to........I am going to give it a try! Hat's off to ya for the lesson

Tags
campground, tow, towing