Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping world Deal-Too good to be true.

Hello Folks,
We just upgraded our 99 Tahoe to a 13 Tahoe.
Have base plate installed and want to use Tahoe lights while towing. Or last Tahoe was towed with the magnetic lights added to the top.
So checking around I find, much to my surprise, Camping World doing the whole install, parts and all, for $121.
I asked why so cheap, and the guy tells me that they are running $39 install for all Good Sam member on a lot of items right now!!
Sounds like a good deal to me, but, as prudence dictates, I thought I would just check in here to make sure I am not missing something. You know, the whole ask first thing!

Thoughts?
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Someone the other day was complaining about the $39 install. As the job progressed they needed another part + $39 and another part + $39 and soooo not a good deal for them. Hope yours works out better. Why not stay with the mag. lights? I use them but I tow 2 different cars, and I'm a cheapskate!
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Someone the other day was complaining about the $39 install. As the job progressed they needed another part + $39 and another part + $39 and soooo not a good deal for them. Hope yours works out better. Why not stay with the mag. lights? I use them but I tow 2 different cars, and I'm a cheapskate!

Good Question. I want to have to have this truck set up "Tow Ready". Just a preference for me, the mag lights worked, and still work well.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Stefan,

I know, it seems almost too good to be true but think it is lagit. I am scheduled on Monday to have our car and coach setup at Camping World in Chishester, NH. We have a solid quote and although was told that there may be something needed that was not included it will be a minor item. Even if I need to pay another $39 once or twice it is still an amazing deal.

I will post how things go next week.

Stuart
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fair price for Roadmaster all-terrain setup?? ($3500)

Hi SNL, what was your quoted price from CW?? I too am looking for the tow setup and I got a quote from CW for $3500. He said that includes the $39 labor rate and member discount.

That's for a Roadmaster all-terrain with the invisabrake etc....full setup. Will be towing a 2003 trailblazer with a Fleetwood Excursion.

Curious if anyone thinks thats a fair price (for new)...or can I find it cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks for any info on current pricing!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is very similar to my CW install....baseplate, electrical harness, brake relay, extra 12v outlet connected direct to battery, Fusemaster, brakebuddy, sterling all-terrain tow bar, 4 inch drop hitch, and cable extenders....$3478 out the door, including tax.
Technician was very knowledgable of my vehicle and installation. Service was great.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE
2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package
RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kurt and Deb,

Here is what I was quoted. I already had the Sterling tow bar so that was not included. Also, I wanted the SMI Airforce 1 breaking system. CW does not carry it but to my amazement they said they would get it in for me and install it for the $39.

Baseplate/bracket for 2014 Jeep Cherokee---$429.99
Installation for base plate----------------------$39.00
Universal tow car wiring kit #154--------------$94.99
Install for tow car wiring kit--------------------$39.00
AirForce one brake system---------------------$1,199.00
Install for Airforce one-------------------------$39.00
Brake light relay kit-----------------------------$39.99
Install brake light relay kit----------------------$30.00

After I received this quote we realized that I also needed an air switch so there will be another charge for this item and installation. I think the switch is inexpensive and the install will be also $39.00.

I have gotten 4 other quotes from other RV dealers and truck shops and each one was at least $1000.00 more some as much as $1,600.00 more.

The service manager at the Chichester CW is super nice and accommodating. Their shop is clean, well equipped and very professional looking. They will be having two of their RVIA master certified techs working on this project.

I am a little nervous with this install as the 2014 Jeep Cherokee is a new model and no one has much experience with it.

I will know in a few days how it all turns out.

Stuart
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Installation for base plate---$39.00
You better check with them again. In their master catalog they have $149 install price for Base Plate. All the other $39 install prices are right.

Or get your quoted price of $39 in writing before they start.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Triker36,

I also saw that in their flyer after I received this quote. I do have this quote in writing so it is $39. Maybe it was a mistake or just the guy being nice but it is what it is.

I have already paid for it so as far as I am concerned the price is the price.

The price on the install for the brake relay is $39.00 not $30.00 in my last post.

Stuart
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just talked to our local CW. I just got a 06 Nissan Xterra.

460 for the baseplates
149 to install

R.
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Recently got back from the install at CW at Chichester, NH. This was a great experience with great service. The entire install took a bit longer than expected due to the 2014 Jeep Cherokee being a new vehicle and the SMI Airforceone for the brake system.

The install went very well. The tech was very meticulous and made a clean and neat install. I am very happy with everything. The price was as I described with adding a charge line to the toad that cost a little more. I do not know how they charge what they charge for the installation but am happy that they do.

I drove home yesterday, 180 effortless miles. Everything worked great.

Stuart
Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #12

I also had CW install my tow package on my MH and Jeep Rubicon + install a Winegard Traveller Satellite. Each install was $39 for each of the 4 or 5 different packages, based on their normal installation prices I saved $1800 dollars . I don't understand the business model, but I sure enjoyed the prices and the job was done by a meticulous tech that has been working at their SoCal location for 20 years, he knew what he was doing.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have an appt. 5/13/14 for a surge protector install. Written install. quoted at 39$. The install must be on parts bought from them, which is fair. I believe the "special" is in effect till 12/14.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Camping World of Kingston, NY Reviews

Looking to have complete tow package installed by CW of Kingston, NY. Just went online to check out service experiences and don't get a warm fuzzy feeling! Has anyone had similar work done at this CW? DW's 2015 Subaru!

Tags
camping