Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Can a 2011 Honda Pilot AWD be flat towed

Thinking of purchasing a 2011 Honda Pilot AWD to pull behind our 2018 Coachmen Mirada 31FW. First question can you flat tow the Pilot ? ( I see blue ox has tow plates for it but have seen some comment that it can not be towed) I have not been able to find the answer in the owners manual on line.
Second question does anyone see a problem with the F53 chassis towing the approx. 4,800 lb. Pilot?
Thanks to everyone in advance for your reply and help.
Jim and Lori
jlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Honda says NO! We checked into it back in 2005 and they said even the '05 wasn't towable even though the manual said it was. They claimed the manual was misprinted.

Check the Remco web site, they may have real world info.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

No it can NOT be flat towed
Must be on car trailer/flatbed to be towed

Pg 448 in owners manual
Towing Your Vehicle
Your vehicle is not designed to be,towed behind a motor home.

If your vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, see page 531

Pg 531 in owners manual
The only way you can safely tow your vehicle is with f lat-bed equipment.
4WD ....Towing with only two tires on the ground will damage parts of the 4WDsystem. It should be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer.

Owners Manual
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...1/ZA1111OM.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Honda says NO! We checked into it back in 2005 and they said even the '05 wasn't towable even though the manual said it was. They claimed the manual was misprinted.

Check the Remco web site, they may have real world info.
The problem is Mr_D, Remco didn't make the vehicle, Honda did. If Honda's not authorizing the vehicle to be towed, sure seems like it can't be towed. Ford did the same thing back a while ago with the Escape. They said it could, then retracted, AFTER folks purchased them specifically to be towed. Ford had to buy them back. So, for whatever my opinions worth, just buy a vehicle that is authorized to be flat towed, like a Jeep.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The problem is Mr_D, Remco didn't make the vehicle, Honda did. If Honda's not authorizing the vehicle to be towed, sure seems like it can't be towed. Ford did the same thing back a while ago with the Escape. They said it could, then retracted, AFTER folks purchased them specifically to be towed. Ford had to buy them back. So, for whatever my opinions worth, just buy a vehicle that is authorized to be flat towed, like a Jeep.
Scott
True, but lots of Honda's can be towed four down even though Honda says NO. We bought an '05 Odyssey after getting it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down. They ended up paying for the towing equipment we had bought. Friends have towed a '10 Ody for years now with no trouble too. I went back to four down towing on the Ody and sold it with 105,000 on it and an add'l 30,000 towing.
But it's up to each owner to decide.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

All Honda models that use the older 5 speed transmission up until 2013 (I think?) including the CRV, Odyssey, and Element are all towable, but if anything should happen, it's on you and your wallet.

You have to follow the instructions to a "T" . Run the engine and shift the transmission to "1" and then slowly being it back up to " D" drive. I leave it there for about 3 minutes, then shift it to Neutral for another 3 minutes. The manual says 3 minutes in neutral is all that's required. Leave the transmission in neutral and turn off the engine, leaving the key in to keep the steering wheel unlocked. If the transmission is shifted into reverse at anytime, the above procedure must be repeated.

We have a 2005 Pilot and it's working well for us. But I wish I had known that later models were also an option before I bought it.

The whole reason Honda changed their position on towing 4 down in 2004 or 2005, is they had too many transmission warranty claims from people not following the instructions exactly

The reason the older Honda transmissions work and that we have to follow an exact procedure at start up, is that the drive shaft is connected to the transmission output shaft and the fluid pump. When the wheels turn the fluid is pumped through the transmission and cooler. Keeping it lubed and cooled.

They're great cars, one of the only foreign 6+ seaters to be had. Looking to buy a newer Odyssey in the near future, because we have 3 teenagers who are growing to big for the third row of the Pilot.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow