RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Can I tow this

I want to flat tow a 2019 4x4 Colorado GVWR #6000 I have a Winnie 2011 class c with a GVWR #14,500 how do I determine what I can safely tow I have a blue ox aux brake from current toad that I will be using. I will NOT ask Camping World for any advise or use their service. Thanks for any help I could not find any other information on the GCWR in the Winnie just the GVWR and the the OCC of #1937
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #2

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

You will be able to tow the Colorado. Yes, Chevy lists the GVWR at 5,900 lbs (spec sheet HERE) but you, in all likelihood, will not be loading the Colorado to its GVWR when you are towing it.

The GVWR is the maximum weight that Chevrolet says should not be exceeded (either while being towed or driven down the road).

You more likely will be closer to the curb weight which is 4,374 lbs (assuming the maximum which is a Z71, spec sheet again HERE). The curb weight is the the weight more closely associated to the actual weight when the Colorado is not loaded with cargo or people.

The GVWR of your 2011 Winnebago Access 31NP is 20,000 lbs. with a GAWR of 14,500 so the towing capacity is 5,500 lbs (20,000 - 14,500 = 5,500). HOWEVER, the hitch is rated at only 5,000 lbs. so in reality, your towing capacity is limited to the current hitch rating or 5,000 lbs. These figures are directly from Winnebago ...the 2011 Access brochure --go HERE

So on paper, you will be able to tow the Colorado as long as you keep its weight under 5,000 lbs. and you are pretty close to it so make sure you are not loading any cargo, or at least very little cargo, into the Colorado as it is being towed.

And, as the previous poster has mentioned, your tow bar is rated for at least 5,000 lbs.

It doesn't mean that it will be a comfortable tow as, again, you will be very close to the limits pertaining to the 5,000 lb. hitch rating limit and the GAWR so you more than likely will "feel" the weight of that toad when traveling over mountain passes, etc. It will help if you keep the weight of the coach substantially under its GVWR. You may want a hitch and welding shop to check to make sure that Winnebago engineered the hitch correctly or even upgrade it if necessary ...again, I don't really like being that close to the limit.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
...So on paper, you will be able to tow the Colorado as long as you keep its weight under 5,000 lbs which should be easy to do as long as you don't load it with any cargo or at least, very little cargo. And, as the previous poster has mentioned, your tow bar is rated for at least 5,000 lbs.
and assuming neither axle on the MH exceeds its GAWR and the total loaded weight of tHe MH...that includes fuel, water, food, supplies, people, etc...does not exceed the GVWR. load up your MH as you would for a trip and weigh it...4-corner weights are best but individual axle weights will do. best to know and not assume.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

The GVWR (GCWR?)of your 2011 Winnebago Access 31NP is 20,000 lbs. with a GAWR (GVWR?) of 14,500 so the towing capacity is 5,500 lbs (20,000 - 14,500 = 5,500). HOWEVER, the hitch is rated at only 5,000 lbs. so in reality, your towing capacity is limited to the current hitch rating or 5,000 lbs. These figures are directly from Winnebago ...the 2011 Access brochure --

I'm thinking you meant GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)

That being said I suggest that the OP doesn't commit to towing the Colorado until they have actually weighed the RV first. I suspect they will find that it is possible that they will have a tough time loading the coach with people and creature comforts without exceeding some weight standard.

I would also be a tad concerned towing something that is 1/3 the weight of the RV. Even with an auxiliary braking system that could be a challenge in handling of the RV. That is a lot of mass back there that may have a mind of its own.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm thinking you meant GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)

That being said I suggest that the OP doesn't commit to towing the Colorado until they have actually weighed the RV first. I suspect they will find that it is possible that they will have a tough time loading the coach with people and creature comforts without exceeding some weight standard.

I would also be a tad concerned towing something that is 1/3 the weight of the RV. Even with an auxiliary braking system that could be a challenge in handling of the RV. That is a lot of mass back there that may have a mind of its own.

Yeah, sorry. I screwed up several things on that post.

OP, disregard everything I said ...I'm just getting too old and my advice is getting more and more inaccurate as I continue to post. The towing capacity on paper still stands, however, as I was assuming that the OP would not be loading the coach to its GVWR as that is what the manufacturer bases the towing capacity (with the coach loaded to its GVWR).

And I again was assuming that GAWRs would be adhered to ...obviously can't assume anything.

Jeez, old age sucks! I'll stay away from here for awhile. My apologies.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #7

You can tow it if you unload it. You will have issues on anything approaching a hill. Any vehicle pushed to its max towing GCWR will not be pleasant on any trip.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow