Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #1

Can the HHR-SS be flat towed?

We are presently towing a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT convertible and are looking at Chevy HHR's. The model we want is the 2008-2010 SS. Blue Ox does not show a base plate for this model; however they do not show one for our Pontiac either and their base plate fit without modification.
Has anyone done this with the HHR-SS with automatic transmission?
Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah
We are presently towing a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT convertible and are looking at Chevy HHR's. The model we want is the 2008-2010 SS. Blue Ox does not show a base plate for this model; however they do not show one for our Pontiac either and their base plate fit without modification.
Has anyone done this with the HHR-SS with automatic transmission?
Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
I wouldn't think that the SS model would make a difference. There are a lot of us towing HHR's. They're a great tow car.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Here is a base plate for HHR Ss w/ turbo http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004RC...dir_mdp_mobile

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see why you could not tow the HHR Ss. I think the only difference is a little more hp. Been towing 09 HHR LT and couldn't ask for better. Make sure you install a fuse switch before you tow it.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

HHR-SS.....Solved!!

Thanks, CLIFFTALL, that is the info that I needed. The reason for my interest in the SS model is, you guessed it, the awesome motor, brakes, suspension, and trim package. There are not to many light weight toads with 260 HP turbo motors and all the special stuff. Even the fuel economy is great if you drive conservatively. As always, IRV 2 is a site full of knowledgeable RVers like yourself. Thanks again, DACOTAH
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Community Administrator

You're welcome and also as has been posted , get the fuse switch as the # 8 fuse needs to be pulled and that is a PITA if you don't have one of these http://www.rv-partsplus.com/RVing%20FuseSwitch/5/0

Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

I have a 2006 HHR with auto. trans. It has been flat towed for 5 years. No problem. You do need to pull one fuse and place the ignition switch in the first position above OFF. I bought a special switch with fuse holder and wiring for $30 or so that you simply turn the toggle switch on before towing and off after towing--no longer need to pull the fuse!
Roadmaster makes a base plate that is made for the HHR. Also the Roadmaster Sterling
towbar set up is very easy to connect and disconnect---it costs a little more, but to me it is definitely worth it. Good luck!
RogS-PAro37C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow an HHR also. I just checked the Blue Ox Website. Enter 2010 Chevrolet HHR and you will see a baseplate for the SS model. The Remcotowing website also says the HHR is towable as is.....does not rule out the SS model. Other advice I've received is to install fuse switch for fuse #8 and to turn off the auto headlights switch.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote