RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #1

Can you dinghy tow a 2013 V-6 AWD Chevy Equinox

Can someone please tell me whether or not I can dinghy tow a 2013 V-6 AWD Chevrolet Equinox. I am so confused. Some forums say YES and others say NO if it is an AWD. I have the owners manual and it says you can, the service department at a Chevy dealer said I can but I don’t want to tow it and someone come back and say, “sorry I didn’t know it was an AWD”. I will be spending a lot of money to get this vehicle set up for towing and if it isn’t something I should do, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks in advance.
ColleenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 AM   #2

Follow the owners manual, not someone on a forum that doesn’t even have one. My friends tow their 2013 4 cyl AWD and for several years I towed my 2014 V6 AWD. In my opinion, the V6 works better as it doesn’t have the electric power steering found on the 4 cyl. They make a pretty good toad.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always check you owner's manual. There is a section called recreational towing. I look up the Dingy Towing Guide (just google it, its from Motorhome magazine) and it said yes but there are things you need to do like run it at specified intervals, remove a fuse, etc.
bfezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenW View Post
Can someone please tell me whether or not I can dinghy tow a 2013 V-6 AWD Chevrolet Equinox. I am so confused. Some forums say YES and others say NO if it is an AWD. I have the owners manual and it says you can, the service department at a Chevy dealer said I can but I don’t want to tow it and someone come back and say, “sorry I didn’t know it was an AWD”. I will be spending a lot of money to get this vehicle set up for towing and if it isn’t something I should do, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks in advance.
EVERYONE.....PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!!!!

The question is if ColleenW can tow her 2013 V-6 AWD Chevrolet Equinox .......
ON A DOLLY????

Most people tow these vehicles 4 down.....all 4 wheels on the ground. They’re very popular as a toad this way. However, just to be sure Colleen, look in your owners manual for the topic “Recreational towing” and read EXACTLY what it says.
I believe you must tow 4 wheels down or on a trailer when you have AWD.
MY GMC Terrain (the Equinox sibling) tells me the same.

READ READ READ.

PLEASE.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

ON A DOLLY????

Most people tow these vehicles 4 down.....all 4 wheels on the ground. They’re very popular as a toad this way. However, just to be sure Colleen, look in your owners manual for the topic “Recreational towing” and read EXACTLY what it says.

READ READ READ.

PLEASE.

Where did she say anything about a dolly?
Glenn
Old 01-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #6

Read, read, read ?????

I see that she will spend a lot of money setting up the car for towing.

You don't do that with a dolly.

Besides, the word dolly isn't anywhere in the post.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Dinghy towing does not mean dolly towing. Some refer to a towed vehicle as a dinghy instead of a toad.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

As to the OP original question, YES you can dingy tow your 2013 V6 AWD Equinox. Follow the directions in your owners manual, it makes a great toad.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Where did she say anything about a dolly?
Glenn
Wow. You are so right. My mistake. So sorry.

My mind was convinced it saw her ask about dolly towing a vehicle which is most often flat towed.

Must be the COVID side effect I read about on the internet, and you know if it’s on the internet, it must be true.

Colleen.....you should be good to go.....but what do I know.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenW View Post
Thanks in advance.
The 2016 Equinox Owners Manual: https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...16-equinox.pdf

From page 259:

Dinghy Towing
Front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front.

Chevy did issue a later bulletin that changes which fuse needs to be pulled but that bulletin is only for the 4-cylinder engine and you have a V6 so the Owners Manual procedure is still valid.

Also, note this note:

Caution
Do not tow a vehicle with the front drive wheels on the ground if one of the front tires is a compact spare tire. Towing with two different tire sizes on the front of the vehicle can cause severe damage to the transmission.

On my 2020 Equinox AWD, the Owners Manual says to never tow the car if any of the tires is a compact spare, for the same reason. Yet your Owners Manual only notes the front wheels. Personally, if I was driving your car and had to put the donut spare on a rear tire I would not tow it.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

ON A DOLLY????

READ READ READ.

PLEASE.
Why are you shouting wrong information.? Might want to practice some READing as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 PM   #12

Answer to dinghy tow questions

Thank You Everyone for the answers to my question about towing a 2013 Equinox. I have decided to go forward and tow it and all your answer were great and helped me make that decision!😊
ColleenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, tow