RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Can't see toad behind rv

I tow a Nissan Xterra behind my class A. I am entirely unable to see the toad in my mirrors when passing another car. Actually I can't see it at all unless I'm turning. Can be a bit unnerving. Any one have any tips?
Thanks
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A rear view camera is what I used to see mine.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Ditto
Carol99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That does sound unnerving. We have a rear view camera also. I use it exclusively to know when to pull back back in after passing. If you donít have one already, maybe think about getting an aftermarket one. Search the forum for ideas because I know Iíve run across others discussing aftermarkets after their originals have went kaput. Safe travels.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
A rear view camera is what I used to see mine.
Me two. And I can see the rear bumper in the side-views.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Some of the newer GPSs have a wireless rear camera as an option
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Some of the newer GPSs have a wireless rear camera as an option
Canít see my toad either. I donít rely on the rear view camera because it distorts the picture and therefore distance is hard to judge using the camera. I use my right side mirror, and give myself a bit of extra room for safety before I pull back in.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #8

My MH came with cheap stick on thing. It works for seeing the toad, but I judge with the side view mirrors for moving right or left.
https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-60100-Wi.../dp/B000TCCWS2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69257bn-wide-lens.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	187355  
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I started by using the rear-view camera, and concluded that it was too wide-angle to help at highway speeds. I learned to use the mirrors.

Where the camera is useful is when stopped or approaching a red light. It gives you an idea of surrounding vehicles, so you can be prepared to change lanes or make a turn when the light goes green.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system for your tow vehicle and toad. Get a flat tire on the toad and you'll drag it for miles before you notice it.
eeztire tpms is a good one to look at.
dbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #11

Unable to see even rear number of toad in mirrors.
My rear camera only shows front of car, but can't see rear to tell if safer to pull back in
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
taigarazz-

To use the mirrors well, you need to develop an idea for how long your coach and towed vehicle is. You can do this statically, by parking the coach with toad in a parking lot, then putting a second car or truck a "safe" distance in the rear. Sit in the driver's seat and look at the mirrors. Try to memorize how the "safe" distance looks.

Once you get that down, take the show on the road. Pick a divided highway with two or more lanes in each direction, a straight road (if you can), and a low-traffic time (say, Sunday morning). Have someone can follow your coach w/toad in a car or truck, keeping in contact with them through cell phones placed on speaker. Have the following vehicle move up to what would be a safe lane-change separation. Look in your mirror. Try to memorize what the safe distance looks like. Then move over and back a few times. Make sure you use your signals and test changing lanes on both sides of you. I believe the right-hand mirror is most crucial to use correctly, but there will be times when you need to move left, and you should be adept at both directions. The person in the follow car can "rate" how well you're doing.

Get this down, then move on to foggy/rainy weather (poor mirror visibility), curvy roads, and crowded highways.

I find the convex mirror is the first place to look as I scan, followed by the flat mirror. I look at my mirrors about every 30 to 120 seconds, depending on conditions.

However, don't get focused on the mirrors and forget that the problems come from ahead of you. You can "shape" the dangers there. While in a car it's reasonable to assume you can change lanes quickly to avoid hazards, that's not the case with a coach, or a coach towing. If your most recent mirror scan says you are locked into your lane, then prudent speed and early braking are your best options.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I aimed by backup camera higher and added the wireless backup camera to my GPS for a closer view when backing up.

Experience will also give you more confidence using your side mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	187415  

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

Tie a 8 1/2 ft fiberglass rod across the rear of the roof rack. Then you can see the rear corners of the toad, in the mirrors.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad