Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
car dolly, u haul ?

Recently got a FWD DD that can not be towed flat and am considering a U Haul used car dolly. I know nothing about them and I will only be using this for short 1 hour trips maybe 4 times a year behind my 40' DP..

Anyone with experience with them? Or ideas. TIA
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #2

They should be fine to use but I think UHAUL dollys are going to be heavy. They seem to overbuild them.

If its a good deal and has working brakes buy it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #3

The brakes are a big deal. The only time I rented a U-Haul dolly to tow a vehicle behind my pickup, it did not come with surge brakes. I understand U-Haul does have surge brakes on them now, but just make sure the one you buy does have them.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I rented one once for a 600 mile round trip. Worked beautiful, it was heavy duty
and no brakes. The car was about 3200#, towed it with my previous 31ft MH.
I kept my speed at no more than 65 mph, uphill, downhill no issues.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

I used to rent one about once a year. I liked that they don't rent them by the miles, just days. I never got one with brakes. I'm a big fan of "trailer brakes" though I suspect with a 40' DP you can get away without them as long as your toad isn't too terribly heavy.
I bought a used tow dolly that needed work (cheap) and rebuilt it. It does not have brakes and that is coming up on my to-do list. I have used to to pull my wife's little Toyota behind a 38' gasser and noted no brake issues. However I didn't go over anything higher than a modest hill. I refuse to take it into the mountains until it gets brakes.
Though you can add brakes if it doesn't have any I would skip doing that. I am doing so because that sort of thing is exactly what I do on weekends for entertainment anyway. It's an impractical upgrade when you can just spend a bit more and get one with brake son it already. I see various kinds of tow dollies on Craigslist around here starting at $600 for a pretty rough looking one with no brakes. Around $1000 is the starting price for something rather nicer with brakes. (I shopped quite a bit before I got mine.)

I'm going for the extra difficulty of electric brakes but a surge brake system is rather simpler. I don't know of any full "kits" right off but places like Northern Tool sell all the parts you would need if you want to get an idea of the price of the parts to add brakes.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #6

Why is there so little concern for breakaway brake systems?
Old 08-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have someone who can drive the car there? Seems like a lot of expense and hassle for a 1 hour drive.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKimmel View Post
Do you have someone who can drive the car there? Seems like a lot of expense and hassle for a 1 hour drive.
I didn't pay attention to the usage, I would agree. Probably going to take 30 minutes to hook up the trailer, load the vehicle, and unload the vehicle. You could be half way there.

In the meantime, you have to maintain and store the unit year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Why is there so little concern for breakaway brake systems?
I have never seen a U-Haul trailer with anything but surge brakes - they rent to anyone with a hitch, rarely have a brake controller. So, U-Haul relies on surge brakes.

I am curious, because I have heard some say their dolly has electric brakes. However, does the trailer have a battery on board to activate a breakaway situation?

Having to maintain a battery for a 1 hour trip, 4 times a year, seems like a hassle as well.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #9

No experience with Tow Dolly (2 wheels still on ground)

However this past weekend I towed a broken down F150 on a U-Haul car trailer (all 4 wheels on trailer). The truck barely fit - had maybe 1/4 inch of trailer left.

Only went about 20 miles and kept speed under 50 as my Ball Mount was a bit undersized for the task. The trailer and motorhome did just fine.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:08 AM   #10

Most surge brake actuators have breakaway systems.
There is a cable run from the actuator to the tow vehicle that, if parted from the ball, will apply and lock the brakes on.

Of course, that's the 3rd line of defense after the coupler to ball connection fails and then the pair of safety chains break.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly