Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Car tow dolly

Hello all,
Picked up the new 2020 EZ tow dolly we won at the 2019 IRV2 Rally in Myrtle Beach this past Oct. Anyone interested or in need of a tie dolly go see Rick and crew at Acme tow dolly. Check them out at www.cartowdolly.com. Galvanized dipped, o rust, disc brakes. Great value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200106_135029159.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	271568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200106_135009788.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	271569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200106_134948140.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	271570  
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I feel this is the best dolly on the market. I've had mine for 5 years now with over 25k miles. Any issues with the dolly has been responded to quickly and professionally. The company stands by the product. If mine ever wears out, I doubt it will, I'll buy another to replace it.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #3

Acme Tow Dolly

I would echo the prior posts. We have towed two different cars behind two different coaches with excellent results. Well designed,well built, with unrivaled customer service..
Old 01-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Straps Come Loose

Anybody have strap issues with ACME Dolly? I tow a Toyota Prius. If I make a tight turn the straps shift around and often come loose. I also have to have the car perfectly aligned with the dolly to take the car off. The low profile of the Prius makes adjusting problematic. It is too difficult to constantly adjust the bracket because of lack of arm room so I have to perfectly align things to pull up the car up the ramp to get both wheels touching the rail at the same time. If I center the car perfectly on the ramp one of the brackets cannot be perfectly centered in the middle of the tire because the middle of the bracket slots have 1” of metal for support so I have to slightly offset the vehicle. Dolly is great but strap issues are a nightmare. I don’t understand why the steering wheel must be allowed to rotate.
doctorhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

What year is the Prius? We have 2019 Limited with a bunch of electronics in the bumper and when we tried to get it on an acme it was scraping. We need some way to tow this thing.
2wheelluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhl View Post
I don’t understand why the steering wheel must be allowed to rotate.
Since there is no pivot plate something has to turn. If the front tires were locked by the steering wheel and the rear wheels also don;t turn you could only go straight or you would be dragging the tires sideways around corners.

It's normal for the front tires on an Acme dolly to move away from the front of the dolly in a turn. It eventually catches up after the car has been straight for a while.

I only have to tighten my straps once, after a few miles. How old are your straps? Apparently they've been updated a few times.

Ray
Old 02-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

New straps definitely will stretch. We adjust as needed , always after a 50 mile run or so after loading. We position the winches as needed for whatever car we are towing,and don’t touch them again. Wheels will move on the dolly as the dolly takes corners,but will return to position , as NXR said, and is normal. Proper hitch height on the coach will simplify loading and towing.I would estimate 1000 miles or so for good break in time for straps.Making sure straps are set to the correct width for your tow cars tires is essential as well.There is a learning curve, for sure, then its smooth sailing, in our experience.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #8

Good morning, I was looking at purchasing this dolly for our 2019 Toyota Highlander front wheel drive, problem is we have a push button start and the steering wheel locks, I have messed around with ignition to test but no way to know for sure until it’s on a dolly. For example: turn ignition on, place in neutral turn off (accessory stays on), shift to park the turn accessory off and then steering wheel will not lock,, but have not tested towing. Thanks for any advice
dguest58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

American Car Dolly

I just posted this on a different thread minutes ago about car dolly towing

I hear your frustration and I went through everything you have and then some before I bought the American Car Dolly. I am very happy with it and would buy again and have recommended it to several people.

Some points
Fully welded assembly square tubing steel used thru out.

Removeable ramps so no ramps hitting rockers and bottom of car

Easy to use ratchets to tighten straps (ratchets are at the outer edge of dolly and the straps wrap along a where you need them to be) BIG Plus in my book

On the "hook" end of straps you drop them in between the last 2 steel bars and slide them to where they are straight down.

Electric brakes ( maybe not as good as surge disc brakes but work well

pretty light weight about 450 lbs can be moved by myself pretty easily

store able at campsites slidetongue under rear of MH

Wide enough to avoid wheel strikes on sides of car

!!!! Free Delivery to your house and a lesson in use of it!!!!

If you do not have a brake controller installed in your MH they have a controller that mounts on the dolly and works from power of the brake light wiring so you don't have to install a controller up front

Built in Colorado if you call , you will get a person right away or shortly after ... Probably Gary the owner

Low to ground so lower profile cars are not a issue

Wheel bearings have a bearing buddy grease fitting few shots of grease ever 3k to 5k miles

You pay the man on delivery

I've had mine for years it goes ever time the MH leaves the yard. Put about 35000 miles on it still looks good does the job and tracks great. No worries about frame bolts etc

PRICE $1695.00 includes delivery

NOT affiliated with company just happy camper owner

https://americandolly.com/

ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhl View Post
Anybody have strap issues with ACME Dolly? I tow a Toyota Prius. If I make a tight turn the straps shift around and often come loose. I also have to have the car perfectly aligned with the dolly to take the car off. The low profile of the Prius makes adjusting problematic. It is too difficult to constantly adjust the bracket because of lack of arm room so I have to perfectly align things to pull up the car up the ramp to get both wheels touching the rail at the same time. If I center the car perfectly on the ramp one of the brackets cannot be perfectly centered in the middle of the tire because the middle of the bracket slots have 1” of metal for support so I have to slightly offset the vehicle. Dolly is great but strap issues are a nightmare. I don’t understand why the steering wheel must be allowed to rotate.

I would speak directly with Richard at ACME. Some of their instructional videos are done with a Prius so they likely have the answers you need.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguest58 View Post
Good morning, I was looking at purchasing this dolly for our 2019 Toyota Highlander front wheel drive, problem is we have a push button start and the steering wheel locks, I have messed around with ignition to test but no way to know for sure until it’s on a dolly. For example: turn ignition on, place in neutral turn off (accessory stays on), shift to park the turn accessory off and then steering wheel will not lock,, but have not tested towing. Thanks for any advice
Buy any dolly except the Acme and you can leave the steering locked.

The articulating plate or the steering dolly tires take care of it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly