Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Car Trailer brakes no worky

I have a drive on trailer for my toad. I have had issues with the lights on the trailer since the day I bought it. This weekend I noticed no lights worked except for the driving lights. Normally this is something I would fix, but time didn't allow this. So I called a local mobile RV tech and he came out and rewired the connection while I was on a business call. He removed the 7 pin connector and replaced it with a 4 pin plug. When I got back to the park that evening I asked the wife if all was good and she said as far as she knew yes. I took a look and knew then the trailer brakes will not work now and they don't. I am now in west Texas on my way to L.A and really don't have the time to pull into a RV shop...unless I absolutely need to. I will drive 5000+ miles over the next 6 weeks. I can't really tell the brakes don't work, coach stops fine..........but should I be concerned enough to make another attempt at a correct repair? What I drive and pull is in my sig.
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

I hope you can put a stop payment on that bill.
That mobile ( self edit ) has no right calling himself a tech.
Your stopping distance has been increased by 25 + %.
JMHO: Get in and have the brakes fixed properly.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I hope you can put a stop payment on that bill.
That mobile ( self edit ) has no right calling himself a tech.
Your stopping distance has been increased by 25 + %.
JMHO: Get in and have the brakes fixed properly.
If my wife had not paid cash.........................

Guess I'm now looking for a tech in El Paso
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

As a quick fix, If you can identify what wire from the now non-existant 7 way plug, fed the brakes, you can hard wire (connect the brake wire from the Coach, to the brake wire on the trailer). You can even install a special plug on either the coach side or trailer side. It will be one more plug connection to be made until you can get it fixed.

Depending on how bad the "mobile tech" hosed your connection , it may be a simple work around.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
As a quick fix, If you can identify what wire from the now non-existant 7 way plug, fed the brakes, you can hard wire (connect the brake wire from the Coach, to the brake wire on the trailer). You can even install a special plug on either the coach side or trailer side. It will be one more plug connection to be made until you can get it fixed.

Depending on how bad the "mobile tech" hosed your connection , it may be a simple work around.
That was my next step, but I found a local mechanic than is coming out with a 7pin connector to do the job right. Talked to the other dude, his excuse was he only had a 5 pin connector and thought he could make it work. Then find out the wife tipped him 25.00 for coming out so fast.

Tags
brake, brakes