Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #1

Is it better to tow a toad behind a Class A with tow bar or on a car trailer?

The cost of the trailer is about 1K less, however I am wondering about the hassle of parking the car trailer in RV camping area's, additional costs???

We will be towing a restored 1983 Toyota GTS 5-speed manual transmission.

Willynojob
Willynojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #2

Is it better to tow a toad behind a Class A with tow bar or on a car trailer?

The cost of the trailer is about 1K less, however I am wondering about the hassle of parking the car trailer in RV camping area's, additional costs???

We will be towing a restored 1983 Toyota GTS 5-speed manual transmission.

Willynojob
Willynojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #3

I was towing all wheels down, but then I traded off the car and was face with getting new tow plates and I did not want to put any tow stuff on front of new car. I decided to go with a tow dolly, I can take any car I want now and If say I had a rental car. Im sure it might be a little hassel with thr tow dolly.
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #4

Willy, we towed 4 down for 4 and 1/2 years. Bought 210' enclosed triler in Dec.'04 and have not used 4 down set-up since. Several talk of problems in campgrounds. This has been pretty much of anon-issue for us-we call ahead tell 'em what we got, if they can handle us fine if notr make another phone call.

To me the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, i.e. can take any car I want,full electric brakes on trailer vs. Brake Buddy panic type, better visibility for other drivers on the road, with a little practice and patience you can back up trailer that is nigh to impossible with 4 down or dolly, when loading or unloading car I could care less about weather or night vs. day as I am inside the trailer and it has internal lights, no wear and tare on car and it arrives in same condition as loaded. I also like the additional security as no one knows what is in trailer.

Doubtful I will go back to 4 down again. Oh almost forgot, the trailer has good resale value-not so with my Falcon tow bar and Brake Buddy system, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This issue has been discussed many times on this forum. I will add that everyone in our MH club that started out using a dolly or trailer for their towed has changed to towing 4 down. Some have had physical damage to their bodies loading and unloading the vehicles. Others have found that they had problems with the dolly storage at the places they wanted to go.

If you are interested into additional discussion on this subject use the find and you will get many opinions.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having towed both 4-down and a dolly, I'd go back to a dolly if we were to go back to a motorhome. The dolly has a few short comings, but they have improved them since we used one. Be sure and get one with brakes.

Big advantage is you are not stuck with towing just one vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #7

We have tried em all and tow with an open car trailer. It has it's own wheels, suspension, lights, and brakes. The car gets no wear and I can put any car on it even my 4 wheel drive pick up truck. That is a plus when we go to Nags head to fish from the beach. I use a load leveling Reese hitch and sway control. The Explorer and the golf cart fit on the trailer as well. As far as storage goes, we clear that up on the telephone call for reservations. If that campground cannot handle us there are those that like our money and will accomidate us.

Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer & The Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel 38' DP
Kitty Kat: Earl
Whitey Ford the Explorer riding the car trailer
Navigation: CoPilot 9 on a lap top
ASE Master Technician
SAE
Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I am wanting to take a car on our trip to Arizona and was thinking of a Car Dolly or an or an alluminum open car hauler like a Featherlite 3110.
I think I will order the alluminum open car hauler this week and I can haul any car I own on it and also use it for some of my other toys like ski doo motorbike and quad.
My question is whether I should install a shield on the fromt end of the trailer??
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #9

GeoSklak, certainly a shield on the front will give you some protection from kick up debris. Another option would be installing an aluminum tool box like you see on pick up trucks. It would serve as a shield and also give you some secure storage. Ken, '04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote