Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Charge Line and/or Fuse Bypass

I'm getting ready to set up a new-to-us 2012 Honda CR-V to tow. Unlike the last two cars I've towed I don't want to mess around removing a fuse. The installer can put in the Roadmaster fuse bypass switch on the dash. He can also install a charge line to the battery to keep it charged as we drive.

I only need one or the other, but not both, right?

Any experience or preferences?
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
I'm getting ready to set up a new-to-us 2012 Honda CR-V to tow. Unlike the last two cars I've towed I don't want to mess around removing a fuse. The installer can put in the Roadmaster fuse bypass switch on the dash. He can also install a charge line to the battery to keep it charged as we drive.

Well Sir,

If it were me, I'd go for the charge line. If for no other reason, it's less intrusive to the factory system. I'm not one of those that's scared of tying into factory wiring, I've done it for decades when it comes to toad lights. But, to me, setting up a charge line is fairly easy and, it's a no brainer. It's automatically applied and, disconnected by inserting and pulling the pig tail. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Simple solution right here... RVibrake Towed Battery Charger
Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Community Moderator

a charge line is preferred.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
BCook57
If the CRV requires pulling a fuse when being towed, (and you "don't want to mess around removing a fuse"), you need a fuse bypass switch.
If your CVR battery will have anything drawing circuit from it while it's being towed you probably also need a charge line.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A charge line simply adds the toad battery into the charging circuit of the other batteries in the RV. A 12 (+) wire and a ground allows the toad battery to get energy from RV alternator as needed. If the battery in the toad isn't discharged, the small amount of power to maintain it from the RV won't be noticed. I see no need to spend $50 and add the 'battery charger' unless you just like raising the hood and looking at the pretty lights. The toad battery won't be overcharged, just as your RV batteries aren't overcharged because of the alternator's voltage regulator. When voltage is needed, the alternator generates the needed voltage then the regulator reduces it back to maintenance mode. Oh wait, the $50 box promises to do that too!

The only issue that could arise is that if the two vehicles are connected by a charge wire, hard or repeated starter requirements of the RV engine could try to draw too much power though the connecting wires from the toad. Sort of like jump starting with 16 gauge jumper cables. The way to prevent this is to make sure you install auto reset circuit breakers in the charge wire at each battery. These not only protect from shorts when connecting up the vehicles, but also prevents large current draw through wires not equipped for such amperage.

The only thing I think the ' toad battery charger' might have is a diode to prevent electrical flow from toad to RV. The auto reset circuit breakers prevent large current flow and other than the pretty colored lights I see no need for the $50 box.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Another way would be to install a diode. So that power could flow to the toad, but not from the toad.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

Bflinn explains it well. Simply put the charge line is they way to go. There should be a fuse installed between the toad battery and the toad's pin connector. This prevents the possible issue of a low chassis battery trying to pull too much from a fully charged toad battery. Worst case scenario is a blown fuse.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Bflinn explains it well. Simply put the charge line is they way to go. There should be a fuse installed between the toad battery and the toad's pin connector. This prevents the possible issue of a low chassis battery trying to pull too much from a fully charged toad battery. Worst case scenario is a blown fuse.
That's the purpose of the auto reset circuit breakers I suggested near the batteries at RV and toad. A 20 amp ARCB shuts off if amperage exceeds 20 amps, then resets itself in a short time. A fuse could blow at start up and you wouldn't discover it until you stopped for the day and found toad battery discharged or when auxiliary brake sent a low voltage message.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't understand the reluctance to use a fuse bypass switch. We use one and it couldn't be simpler to install or use.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I don't understand the reluctance to use a fuse bypass switch. We use one and it couldn't be simpler to install or use.
According to what type of auxiliary brake system you have, your battery might need maintenance charging while driving. The charge wire ensures the toad's battery is good when needed.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #12

Quote:
The installer can put in the Roadmaster fuse bypass switch on the dash. He can also install a charge line to the battery to keep it charged as we drive.
BCook57
Because they serve different functions, I don't believe it's a "one or the other" choice.
If your particular toad REQUIRES the removal of a fuse while it's being towed......you MUST remove a fuse, (or use a bypass switch).
If your particular toad REQUIRES a charge line to keep the battery up while it's being towed......you NEED a charge line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Easyrider
I don't understand it either.
In fact I have, (and use), a fuse bypass switch in my '07 Saturn ION toad, (even thought my ION can be safely towed without removing a fuse).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

I went with both, charge line and fuse bypass. No battery problems.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse