Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Yes you can use that charge wire to keep toads battery charged. Best to use it thru a toad battery charger as was posted. The RVI Toad Battery Charger as mentioned is what I use---same set up as you plan on running.
6 years now and still working as new.
Grumpy
Grumpy,
I have a question for you. Just EXACTLY what, is a "Toad Battery Charger"? I mean, to me, it just doesn't make sense. Here's my thoughts. If you have a 12V + wire leading from the 7-pin connector on the coach, through the pig tail, and into the toad, then, it connects to a "Toad battery charger" and that "charger" is giving the toads battery 12v, then what are you accomplishing since, there's 12V already heading towards the toad battery in the first place?

If your answer might be that, there's some sort of little "brain" that sees when the toads battery is close to topped off, it will limit the amount of charge that is now sent to the toads battery. Wouldn't that be a given anyways since, the coaches alternator has already done its job of charging any and all batteries on the coach and, even the one in the toad so, it too will begin to simmer down on what's being sent out in a charge. At least that's my way of thinking on this.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
And very reasonable priced but this one is eaven cheaper.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Brake...-p/19-3252.htm
The Brake Buddy unit you link to is a 2 amp battery maintainer, which is fine when there is little to no draw on the battery.

The iRV Toad Charger is a 15 amp charger, which is needed when there is a high draw on the battery such as keeping the power steering active while towing as is the case with my Cherokee.

They both have there applications, it just depends on one's needs.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #17

I also use the RVI battery maintainer. For $50, just peace of mind that nothing will overheat or short. I don't have to deal with pulling any fuses on the toad. Just finished 6,000 miles of towing in Aug-Sep and the toad was always fully charged and ready to go when we stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TBC_1.5_Hero_large.png
Views:	52
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	220590  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Grumpy,
I have a question for you. Just EXACTLY what, is a "Toad Battery Charger"? I mean, to me, it just doesn't make sense. Here's my thoughts. If you have a 12V + wire leading from the 7-pin connector on the coach, through the pig tail, and into the toad, then, it connects to a "Toad battery charger" and that "charger" is giving the toads battery 12v, then what are you accomplishing since, there's 12V already heading towards the toad battery in the first place?

If your answer might be that, there's some sort of little "brain" that sees when the toads battery is close to topped off, it will limit the amount of charge that is now sent to the toads battery. Wouldn't that be a given anyways since, the coaches alternator has already done its job of charging any and all batteries on the coach and, even the one in the toad so, it too will begin to simmer down on what's being sent out in a charge. At least that's my way of thinking on this.
Scott
Pretty much it...think of it as a 12 volt version of a Battery Tender.
Need it on mine as when towing our Subi, steering is unlocked and is electric. That plus brake lights are a constant drain on the toad battery.
Brain in the charger prevents over-charging.
Going on 5 years now and have never had a battery problem in the toad.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Pretty much it...think of it as a 12 volt version of a Battery Tender.
Need it on mine as when towing our Subi, steering is unlocked and is electric. That plus brake lights are a constant drain on the toad battery.
Brain in the charger prevents over-charging.
Going on 5 years now and have never had a battery problem in the toad.
Grumpy
Hey thanks for getting back to me on this.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad