Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check the toad lug nuts as well

Just wanted to relate a story friends of ours passed along to us. This was a valuable lesson for them.

While traveling from Ok. to Tx. suddenly a big rig passed them and started flashing his lights and slowing in front of them. John looked in his mirror and saw smoke coming from the toad. Once he pulled over (the big rig also pulled over to help) John discovered a tire missing on the left, rear side. The driver stated the tire flew off about a mile back. John mentioned there were some kids hanging around the toad at their last stop, and they all ran off when he approached. Did not think anything of it.

Their car was towed to a repair shop and they are awaiting their insurance representative for the repairs to begin. They have yet to pass along the total damages, but you can imagine after dragging the toad on the wheel (less the tire) for over a mile.

Moral here is inspect or check the toad lug nuts as well as the rig lug nuts. This could easily have turned out much worse for them.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #2

The entire tire and wheel was gone from the brake rotor. The brake rotor was touching the ground. Indeed, it appears the lug nuts were intentionally loosened. If I hear more from him I will pass it along.

Sorry that was not clear on my original post.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We lost a wheel on the Cherokee we tow recently. I heard a noise through to speaker on the backup camera. We pulled over, I unhooked the Jeep and drove our around a bit and discovered the noise was coming from the Jeep and not the camper.
I did not look at the lug nuts but should have. I had to drive my wife a very short distance to a doctor appointment, while driving there the wheel feel off. No one was hurt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-02 12.45.22.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	47882
Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

wow! glad no one was hurt, thank you for the message.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
We lost a wheel on the Cherokee we tow recently. I heard a noise through to speaker on the backup camera. We pulled over, I unhooked the Jeep and drove our around a bit and discovered the noise was coming from the Jeep and not the camper.
I did not look at the lug nuts but should have. I had to drive my wife a very short distance to a doctor appointment, while driving there the wheel feel off. No one was hurt.

Attachment 47882
the fender was ripped off by the tire? lessons are learned.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Not much you can do for "deliberately loosened" other than file a police report. To do that you need to make sure lug nuts were torqued properly to begin with. When I bring the car in from having tires changed/balanced what ever, I will loosen and torque first to 70 FP then re-torque to 80 FP, same with the trailer (both have the same size stud).
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

I also have mine retorqued after driving for a couple days after rotating tires. I have heard the aluminum wheels can loosen during the first 25 or 30 miles after being rotated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
toad