Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 03:09 PM   #1

Cherokee Trailhawk or Escape PHEV

I recently purchased a gas Class A RV that has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. I am considering either a Cherokee Trailhawk or Escape Plug-in Hybrid as tow vehicles. I love the thought of rarely using gas with the Escape, but something tells me the Cherokee may be the better overall vehicle, have better resale down the road, etc. I am curious if anyone else has compared these two or have experience with either as a toad. If so I would love to hear about your experience or thoughts on these two vehicles.

Thanks
TravisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had our Trailhawk for 2+ years and love it.

You may be close to your wt capacity so check that out.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:41 AM   #3

We bought our toad before our MH and went with the Escape in case we ended up with a 5,000 pound limit. The Cherokees we look at were right at the limit and I wanted something lighter to drag around. We ended with a 10,000 capacity but love our Escape. We’ve towed it around 3,000 miles so far and it pulls great. It is my daily driver and I enjoy driving it. My previous car was a GMC Acadia. I really like the 40 mpg we in overall driving. The Gird system of putting in tow mode is very simple and straightforward. Ours is not a plug-in because there were none to be found but my next toad will likely be a plug in hybrid escape
ChiefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #4

Thank you both. I didn’t realize the Trailhawk was that heavy. I do not want to be right up at 5,000 pounds. That may help me make a decision. Also good to hear the positive experience with the escape.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #5

Jeep is producing a Grand Cherokee PHEV.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisMG View Post
Thank you both. I didn’t realize the Trailhawk was that heavy. I do not want to be right up at 5,000 pounds. That may help me make a decision. Also good to hear the positive experience with the escape.
We tow a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk, the curb weight is 4250. The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is considerably heavier at 4747.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:48 AM   #7

Ok that is not bad at all. That makes my decision a tough one again. Think I just need to drive them both and go with my gut in that case.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Ok that is not bad at all. That makes my decision a tough one again. Think I just need to drive them both and go with my gut in that case.
Remember if you add lots of "cargo and stored stuff" and a full tank of gas you may be pushing the 5K limit once again.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #9
WDW

A Latitude is towable. It’s several hundred pounds lighter than a Trailhawk. Don’t let them tell you it’s not.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
A Latitude is towable. It’s several hundred pounds lighter than a Trailhawk. Don’t let them tell you it’s not.
I also tow a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk curb weight is 4200.
A latitude is a bit lighter but keep in mind you must have the Activedrive II transfer case and that also requires one of optional engines. The minimum trim level for these options for current models is the Lux 4x4 That may add a few pounds from the base Latitude but it will be about 200-300# less than a Trailhawk depending upon options.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I recently purchased a gas Class A RV that has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. I am considering either a Cherokee Trailhawk or Escape Plug-in Hybrid as tow vehicles. I love the thought of rarely using gas with the Escape, but something tells me the Cherokee may be the better overall vehicle, have better resale down the road, etc. I am curious if anyone else has compared these two or have experience with either as a toad. If so I would love to hear about your experience or thoughts on these two vehicles.

Thanks

We just got the escape PHEV with hope to tow. Roadmaster just now has a baseplate for 2021 and are deciding if it will work with the 2022. There is one part with different part number they are concerned about. We like the car. On a 30 mile trip the other day we got 300mpg. It’s not end of the world but the EV only mode does not completely lock out the ICE it will still come on if the car thinks it needs it. But you can learn how to reduce the likelihood.

There is no spare tire so lots of room for a brake system in back where the tire would be. Does have a 12volt inflator sealer system.

I can try to keep you posted on progress.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
We just got the escape PHEV with hope to tow. Roadmaster just now has a baseplate for 2021 and are deciding if it will work with the 2022. There is one part with different part number they are concerned about. We like the car. On a 30 mile trip the other day we got 300mpg. It’s not end of the world but the EV only mode does not completely lock out the ICE it will still come on if the car thinks it needs it. But you can learn how to reduce the likelihood.

There is no spare tire so lots of room for a brake system in back where the tire would be. Does have a 12volt inflator sealer system.

I can try to keep you posted on progress.
I didn't realize that the ICE would still come on. But really it doesn't seem like that big of a deal if you are getting 300mpg! That is amazing.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Remember if you add lots of "cargo and stored stuff" and a full tank of gas you may be pushing the 5K limit once again.
The listed curbs weight of a vehicle includes all fluids required to operate including gasoline. We make it a point not to load much if anything in the Toad and try to keep the gasoline tank at 1/2 when towing.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
I didn't realize that the ICE would still come on. But really it doesn't seem like that big of a deal if you are getting 300mpg! That is amazing.

Yea it’s a little frustrating. But it uses the engine for braking, for heating or cooling the battery. So just cause it’s on doesn’t mean it’s doing a lot of work. I just drove 13 miles and engine never turned on. 999 mpg is the max my display goes to.

I think I am going to ordering the 2021 base plate from Roadmaster and give it a try on our 2022.

We also ruled out using the ready Brute at the alignment of the cable coming in through the fire wall was problematic. With a pully it could be made to work.

Tags
cherokee