Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chev Equinox Toad

On way back to Tennessee from Florida in January we saw a Equinox with baseplate and bumper pulled off and stilled hooked to coach. Brakeway cable still hooked to bumper broke wires and did not stop car it rolled across interstate and didn't hit anything. Have read about this with Epuinox and they said have pulled it for four years with no problems.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Theoretically the safety chains or cables should be attached to the frame of the car and not the baseplate precisely to prevent this happening. Of course that is almost impossible on today's cars but the baseplate manufacturer will say you did not follow the instructions.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Blue Ox base mounting plate for our Captiva has safety cables that are connected to the base plate and wrapped around frame members of the front of our Captiva. We then also have safety cables that are connected on 1 end to our RV hitch and on the other end to the base plate on the car. So with our setup even if the base plate were to somehow come off, the safety cables would still keep things loosely attached to each other. Now if the RV hitch or the whole front frame member of our Captiva were to separate we would then have more serious problems, but you have to rely on faith somewhere in the equation. After all, I could get run over while hooking everything up, but I don't worry about that happening.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Yikes - I need to check my connections!!!
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

On my rig I've added a safety cable betweeen the hitch receiver and the chassis in case the entire receiver brakes loose, and I have a short cable that came with the base plate to do the same there, but it doesn't reach anywhere on the toad (2007 GMC Acadia) that would be helpful. Finding a place and adding a long enough cable has been on my "to do" list for almost 8 years now (I know, shame on me!). Fortunately breakaways are rare and breakaways due to base plate failure are even rarer. Most are "operator error".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switt View Post

On way back to Tennessee from Florida in January we saw a Equinox with baseplate and bumper pulled off and stilled hooked to coach. Brakeway cable still hooked to bumper broke wires and did not stop car it rolled across interstate and didn't hit anything. Have read about this with Epuinox and they said have pulled it for four years with no problems.
That specific accident happened due to the brand of baseplate that was chosen to use for the Equinox. When it was installed it did NOT have additional safety cables looped around the baseplate and back to the solid part of the body.

Just make sure that you use either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster Baseplates and ensure that the safety cables are installed correctly.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/lost-the-car-233468.html

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That specific accident happened due to the brand of baseplate that was chosen to use for the Equinox. When it was installed it did NOT have additional safety cables looped around the baseplate and back to the solid part of the body.

Just make sure that you use either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster Baseplates and ensure that the safety cables are installed correctly.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/lost-the-car-233468.html

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for finding that link Richard. I was looking for it yesterday because the OP story sounded like that same issue. Wanted to post the link to see if the OP would say it was the same story. That's exactly the story I was thinking about, thanks!
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad