Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

2019 Colorado LT/RST

I got this switch mounted to pos battery terminal to disconnect battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a charge line directly from the 7 pin to a 12V plug in cab area to directly power our Blue Ox PATRIOT tow brake.

Brake lights (with diodes) are wired directly to 7 pin so when i hit RV brakes toad lights go on, everything works flawlessly. I've got a 1300 mile tow on it to Fl from MI and a few short runs and no problems at all, love this set up. Easy.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I got this switch mounted to pos battery terminal to disconnect battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a charge line directly from the 7 pin to a 12V plug in cab area to directly power our Blue Ox PATRIOT tow brake.

Brake lights (with diodes) are wired directly to 7 pin so when i hit RV brakes toad lights go on, everything works flawlessly. I've got a 1300 mile tow on it to Fl from MI and a few short runs and no problems at all, love this set up. Easy.
I like your switch. There is one flaw in your design, though. In the event of a toad disconnect you won’t have breakaway braking on toad because the 12v is lost to the Blue Ox, right?

I have the power supply to my brake actuator fed from the battery side of the disconnect so it’s the only thing powered -from the truck battery- in tow mode. I also use a charge line from the coach, and that goes through a diode to the truck battery to prevent discharge. If you tow for multiple consecutive days, as we sometimes do, a brake actuator WILL discharge a vehicle battery. BTDT.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
If you tow for multiple consecutive days, as we sometimes do, a brake actuator WILL discharge a vehicle battery. BTDT.
I see people do the diode a lot and don't understand. How many days would it take for the actuator and toad to drain the toad battery plus the two chassis batteries for the coach? If I am parked for more than an overnight without driving the coach I would be unhooking the toad 99% of the time anyway. I have the "toad charger" but didn't install it because I could not see the purpose except to be one more inline connection to monitor. The connection is already protected with a fuse.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #18

I see that many people put their battery disconnect switch (when using a latching relay) inside their truck. I like mine in the grill. With it located there, I can connect/disconnect the battery from outside and then use the remote control to lock and unlock the doors. With my key in the ignition switch I don't have to use a second key for the doors.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I used the Roadmaster remote disconnect and installed a small bracket to mount the switch so I didn’t have to drill my panel inside the truck. Here is a link to my installation.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/chevy-colorado-roadmaster-battery-disconnect-installation-399364.html

Dang, that looks exactly like the starter solenoid that was in my '66 Mustang.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #20

I think the OP must have installed a disconnect on his Internet connection - no response in this thread and his only other post on this forum was almost 8 years earlier.

But yeah, the simple solution is to disconnect the negative side of the battery.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I see people do the diode a lot and don't understand. How many days would it take for the actuator and toad to drain the toad battery plus the two chassis batteries for the coach? If I am parked for more than an overnight without driving the coach I would be unhooking the toad 99% of the time anyway. I have the "toad charger" but didn't install it because I could not see the purpose except to be one more inline connection to monitor. The connection is already protected with a fuse.
The diode is not to prevent discharge. The diode is to prevent the toad battery from back feeding the charging circuit from the coach when the coach is shut down. Which depending on how the coach is wired could have unintended consequences. We had an F53 that would keep the dash cluster powered up from the toad battery, if it was connected to a toad battery without the diode.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Brake lights are powered straight off the seven pin just like a trailer.

Unfortunately I didn't find out until after I installed the diode kit, but they make a straight quick plug and play for the lights. Simply disconnect the tail lights cables at the rear and plug in the pigtail.
If you wire it that way. Not necessary with brake buddy.

But I did wire it that way to have directionals and parking lights, the latter required if you drive at night (which I do not). So brake lights are powered by both means.

Directionals on trailer might be State dependent. Not really needed as RV directionals generally visible around Toad.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Dang, that looks exactly like the starter solenoid that was in my '66 Mustang.

Yep, I had a 64-1/2 and a 66 Mustang. The 64-1/2 was a very early car and ended up getting a full rotisserie restoration but they guy who bought it from me.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Yep, I had a 64-1/2 and a 66 Mustang. The 64-1/2 was a very early car and ended up getting a full rotisserie restoration but they guy who bought it from me.

By the way, I have a '72 LT-1 Vette convertible.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #25

The owners manual for my 2016 GMC Canyon says to disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. I use a knife blade switch mounted on the negative battery terminal. Not saying disconnecting the positive battery cable wouldn’t work but the towing instructions specifically say to disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate it. No mention of disconnecting the positive cable from the battery as an alternative.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #26

Thanks to all for pointing me in the proper direction. My manual in fact says to disconnect the negative terminal, and there’s plenty of space for the knife switch.
Dbud428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #27

I was always taught that the negative side was the first one disconnected and the last one connected when dealing with a car battery. Less sparking I guess.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I am now configuring my 19 Canyon 4WD to tow, installing baseplate today. I used the Roadmaster remote switch because I didn't want to have to get under the hood every time I wanted to connect or disconnect. The on/off button is situated just above the parking brake release handle to the left. It is a flush push on/push off button they supply with the kit so it would be difficult to accidentally activate it while driving. I am also using the Roadmaster bulb kit for the tailight housing assembly, because I wanted to run the tail/brake/turn lites off the the motorhome since I won't have power in the truck when towing. That was a cinch to install and the led bulb they supply is really bright.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, chevy, colorado