Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #71

I would never use the remote battery disconnect. Problematic. Put a switch on the battery like the Perko one above
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
I would never use the remote battery disconnect. Problematic. Put a switch on the battery like the Perko one above

So how are these Perko’s being installed? They all seem to have exposed terminals.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
So how are these Perko’s being installed? They all seem to have exposed terminals.
This is the one I used I was busy earlier. I would never use an exposed one or blade typehttps://www.amazon.com/CHEINAUTO-Dis...91691106&psc=1
Old 04-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #74

Chevy Colorado battery disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Has anyone using the Roadmaster Remote Disconnect had problems with a parasitic drain on their towed vehicle? In the last year of owning my 2021 Canyon I’ve had my battery die twice on me. The first time (6 months old) GMC replaced it but it happened again yesterday and I have to believe it’s from the Roadmaster.

After replacing the battery I disconnected the Roadmaster cables and pulled all the fuses to the equipment. I then reattached the Roadmaster cable, and added the fuses one by one Over the course of three days per fuse, checking voltage for a few days before adding another fuse back in the system. Over two weeks of daily monitoring I didn’t have any draw down so I thought I was good. I haven’t even towed it yet as we just received our MH. Any other thoughts on what’s causing this? We have the Demco Stay N Play and a plug and play Curt Wire harness.

Hopefully someone has some ideas.

I have had mine for nearly four years and have not experienced what you have. I would use the button to disconnect the battery, remove the wires, and then read the resistance across the terminals and then to the mount (ground). It should be open circuit. Sounds like you may have an internal short. I would also call Roadmaster.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #75

I haven't seen anyone address the fact that modern cars have a lot of parasitic draw on them regardless of tow disconnects. My 2014 Silverado will drain a battery in just over 4 weeks if not driven in that time. Between engine computers, transmission computers, electric steering modules, radio and entertainment center draws and anti theft systems, there is a constant drain taking place. It may be convenient to blame one thing or another, but I'll bet it's the combination of all the drains that is draining the battery.

On my Silverado I installed a latching relay (aka "salesmans switch") on the negative battery cable. The relay uses 12v power only to switch from on to off. This totally disconnects the battery from anything electrical requiring me to reset the electric windows and to select a radio station again each time the power is disconnected. The radio presets are saved, but the particular one I was listening to has to be reselected by pushing it's button again.

I hid my control switch, a simple temp on/off/temp on switch in the grill. So when towing I can hook everything up, leave the key in the switch for the steering wheel to turn, use the fob to lock the truck, and then kill the power at the grill. When unhooking, hit the switch again to restore power, use the fob to unlock and continue as normal switching the transfer case etc.

During the summer when we aren't travelling in the MH, the truck sits for sometimes 3 or 4 months without being used. I've wired a Battery Tender plug up to the grill (again hidden from normal view) so it can be plugged in and kept in top condition while it sits in the carport. I've found over the years that the Battery Tender brand has very few failures and my batteries in my seldom used vehicles last 6 or more years versus the normal 4 or so.

As always, your mileage may vary. I have 23 wet acid batteries that I maintain in my fleet of vehicles. All use a battery maintainer when not in use. Battery Tenders on single battery applications and multistage chargers/inverters on the multi battery applications.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, chevy, colorado