Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Chevy Colorado Wire Routing to Cab

Has anyone discovered a good way to pass wires (12 volt battery direct connect, battery disconnect, breakaway wires) through the firewall without making new holes? Looking to minimize how much I have to hack up a brand new truck.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

I went through the big rubber thing around the steering column. I poked a coat hanger through from the inside, attach the wire to the coat hanger and pulled it back through. Self sealing.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Buying the truck tomorrow (hopefully) so I will check that out.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

BTW, I used the Roadmaster base plate without a crossbar and it measures close to 17 in off the ground. It was perfect for my coach.
The Blue Ox at 23 in would have been too high. Your gas rig maybe different though.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
BTW, I used the Roadmaster base plate without a crossbar and it measures close to 17 in off the ground. It was perfect for my coach.
The Blue Ox at 23 in would have been too high. Your gas rig maybe different though.
Thanks. I plan to use Roadmaster as well. My hitch height is around 18".

Do you know the part number of the plate you installed?

I see the EZ5 and the EZ4. I was going to use the EZ4 because it seemed to have more options with regards to rock guards, tow bars, etc. But it is the cross bar type.

Which tow bar are you using?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

I went with the EZ5 so I cannot add the rock guards. Several thousand miles and no Rock chips to speak of. I think it's because a lot of the lower part of the grill is the black plastic stuff.

If you get the one with the crossbar the height might be a slightly higher based on a different vehicle I had. The other car had the crossbar and I did not want it again.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #7

As ham radio guy and RVer have poked through the rubber gasket for steering column most of the time. If buying a new car/ truck... you can ask/ make installing a ‘pull line’ through the firewall part of your deal. So far haven’t had any pushback from dealers (even used). I have even had RV dealers agree to run my radio power wires from battery through RV’s firewall and run coax to roof ladder. Seem happy to grant request to make the sale.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the EZ4 on 2016 Z71 Colorado and no drop receiver needed. I also routed wire thru steering column access. I invested in the Roadmaster remote battery disconnect so I didn’t have to open the hood, little pricey but love it. Placed the switch in the little panel on left side of dash for toll tickets so only have to buy little panel should I remove.

Love the Colorado as toad.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
I have the EZ4 on 2016 Z71 Colorado and no drop receiver needed. I also routed wire thru steering column access. I invested in the Roadmaster remote battery disconnect so I didn’t have to open the hood, little pricey but love it. Placed the switch in the little panel on left side of dash for toll tickets so only have to buy little panel should I remove.

Love the Colorado as toad.

Not familiar with the panel, I don’t have the truck yet. Did you locate it elsewhere from where they installed it on etrailer?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #10

How are you towing 4 down. Colorado owners manual says you can not do it!
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
Are you reading the Z71 4 wheel drive manual or the two wheel drive manual?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Not familiar with the panel, I don’t have the truck yet. Did you locate it elsewhere from where they installed it on etrailer?
To the left of the steering wheel there is a small little slot that looks like a credit card will fitt into. Probably took me a year before I even realized it was there. And then I had to wonder what it was for. Couple months ago I stayed at a high-end Resort that had security cards for the gate. It was perfect to hold a security card.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post

There are two sections of the owners manual dedicated to “dinghy towing” behind an RV. Must be 4wd though, with a neutral position in the transfer case. Tried it today while test driving the truck.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #14

How did you like the test drive?

Tags
chevy, colorado