Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #183

Just got back from a trip with our motorhome and our 4 cylinder Equinox. No wobble this time, on the worst roads that we have experienced the most wobble problems, did not pull the fuse because we are tired of the wobble problem and did not want that headache, but of course the battery went dead and we had to call and have our battery jumped at the destination and when we got home we just pulled everybody to the shop, unhooked and jumped it there. I know, everyone post that we can hook up some sort of wiring system to trickle charge the battery, but you know what, we have and other have talked to GM personal in their high places, they lie and say no one has ever told them of this problem. It's their problem to fix not mine. It does seem, from all the post, that not all 4 cylinder Equinox have the wobble problem. All I can do now is bad mouth GM and I will at every chance I have. They do not care. I was brought up to do my job, not lie, obviously big business does not adhere to that.
rockieroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #184

It is your experience but a few more people have stated that they do not have the issue.

The steering system should really not have much input when the vehicle is in tow. The toe-in of the front wheels alone should keep the vehicle inline.

Poor tow bar slop can induce wiggle in the toad.

It is your option to bad mouth GM. I, for one do not believe this is a GM problem.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
It is your experience but a few more people have stated that they do not have the issue.

The steering system should really not have much input when the vehicle is in tow. The toe-in of the front wheels alone should keep the vehicle inline.

Poor tow bar slop can induce wiggle in the toad.

It is your option to bad mouth GM. I, for one do not believe this is a GM problem.
GM had us go to their GM dealership of their choice to check out all the alignment, electrical, anything they wanted to check, gave us a green light, everything ok. Our tow bar is in good condition, level, nothing wrong with it, so what you are saying is that the people that are also having this problem all have defective tow bars and alignment problems also. I know for a fact we do not. It is a GM problem with our 4 cylinder electronic steering, they know about it, they are in denial, even lie they have never heard of this problem, so yes I will bad mouth GM. Chrysler had a problem with their equipment, enough people complained about it, they fixed their problem. I feel GM should own up to the problem, even if it's with a few of the 4 cylinder electronic steering vehicles and fix the problem.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockieroad View Post
GM had us go to their GM dealership of their choice to check out all the alignment, electrical, anything they wanted to check, gave us a green light, everything ok. Our tow bar is in good condition, level, nothing wrong with it, so what you are saying is that the people that are also having this problem all have defective tow bars and alignment problems also. I know for a fact we do not. It is a GM problem with our 4 cylinder electronic steering, they know about it, they are in denial, even lie they have never heard of this problem, so yes I will bad mouth GM. Chrysler had a problem with their equipment, enough people complained about it, they fixed their problem. I feel GM should own up to the problem, even if it's with a few of the 4 cylinder electronic steering vehicles and fix the problem.
X2

They will at some point fix it I believe but until they have, they will keep up claims they are unaware that there is a problem for liability issues.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman1 View Post
We're going to pull this as our toad using Blue Ox and Brake Buddy. We're starting out in Fort Wayne, IN and we plan on traveling to Seattle with stops at Glacier National Park and more.

We have a 2012 Tiffin RED QSA 36 feet. I've towed trailers quite a bit in my driving experience, but I've never pulled an automobile. I have to confess that I'm a little anxious about this, but it sounds like folks are doing it with a successful result on a daily basis.

My installer set up the system so that my toad will charge from the RV as we drive. I won't be doing any "fuse pulling"...I'm supposing that my odometer is going to register my "towing"miles..It's not that big of a deal to me if it does, but I am curious...? If anyone knows, please reply...

Steve West
Fort Wayne, IN
Hello Steve,
I just read your response, and I would like to know who did the hookup for your Equinox? I am also from Fort Wayne and have a 40' Phaeton and an Equinox that I'd like to tow.
Thank you
Chad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieFac View Post
I tow a 2010 Eqinox with a Blue Ox Tow Bar and base plate, installed the baseplate myself. Took longer than the instructions stated. Used Ready Brake on previous toad and did not like it, wanted something more progressive. Went to the M&G air system, easy to use and complete with break away switch.
cjhmichfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #188

I have read through the entire thread as I have a Terrain 4 cyl AWD that we are contemplating towing with a BlueOx and break Buddy. Fuse in or out seems to be the trigger that everyone talks of. Those that leave the fuse in will kill the battery and once dead it does not produce any current to energize any components within the vehicle. And, at that time it is the same as pulling the fuse in the first place or switching it off for that matter. I fail to see how this is any sort of a resolve.

However, I am no expert in any field. I'm just applying a bit of basic experience from all fields involved and usually enough knowledge to get in to trouble

Thanks for a great round of education. Still in contemplation over towing the Terrain.

Steve
Steeveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveo View Post
I have read through the entire thread as I have a Terrain 4 cyl AWD that we are contemplating towing with a BlueOx and break Buddy. Fuse in or out seems to be the trigger that everyone talks of. Those that leave the fuse in will kill the battery and once dead it does not produce any current to energize any components within the vehicle. And, at that time it is the same as pulling the fuse in the first place or switching it off for that matter. I fail to see how this is any sort of a resolve.

However, I am no expert in any field. I'm just applying a bit of basic experience from all fields involved and usually enough knowledge to get in to trouble

Thanks for a great round of education. Still in contemplation over towing the Terrain.

Steve
Leave the fuse in with a 4 cylinder Equinox the battery does go dead, but does not wobble, take the fuse out, battery stays up and it is likely that at some time on a rough road, frost heave road whatever it will shake the living daylights out of your motorhome. GM will NOT actknowledge the problem even though a few of us have called and talked to them and John Johnson of FMCA has talked to them, he is the man that does all the towing vehicles for the FMCA magazine. We could put a wire between the coach and car, roadmaster has a wire or we could figure it out for ourselves, we love our Equinox otherwise, but now looking into buying a Ford Explorer. GM should be responsible to fix their problem instead of saying it does not exsist. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveo View Post

Steve
I got my 2011 4cyl AWD Terrain all set up as our Toad before I found this thread. After reading through this thread I was real hesitant to pull the car behind the Motorhome. I just made my maiden voyage towing the Terrain 600mi round trip over some real rough Alaskan roads ( Frost heaves, deep grooves, and steep hills) and I'm happy with how it towed. This was with fuse out set up the way the GM owners manual recommends. If it helps I'm using a Blue Ox base plate and a Ready Brute towbar/brake system
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #191

No issues with my 2015 AWD, 4 cylinder EQ, fuse cut out switch used.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #192

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Steve
Old 06-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #193

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Darn phone, we have a 2015 Equinox with a road master base plate, air force one brake and turn off switch. In the 18 months that we have had it, it has wobbled 3 times. Once when the tires fell off the edge of a road surface being repaved, once on a diagonal turn across railway ties and once when we hit a series of baby speed bumps. Once past all, we stopped, then pulled on. Doesn't happen frequently, but does occur. O t her wise it is one of y he easy tows around.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
Darn phone, we have a 2015 Equinox with a road master base plate, air force one brake and turn off switch. In the 18 months that we have had it, it has wobbled 3 times. Once when the tires fell off the edge of a road surface being repaved, once on a diagonal turn across railway ties and once when we hit a series of baby speed bumps. Once past all, we stopped, then pulled on. Doesn't happen frequently, but does occur. O t her wise it is one of y he easy tows around.
Hi lady puffin, My husband and I took a trip to Portland, Oregon, had a couple problems to get solved, one with the motorhome and the other with our 2014 4 cylinder Equinox. Went to Road Master in Vancouver, WA, talked with a Graham Dudik and he has been in touch with John Johnston of FMCA emailing back and forth about this wobble problem with 4 cylinder Equinox. Graham said John had told him that he has at least 100 owners of these cars that are having the problem and John has been talking with GM about this problem. So the more people that are having problems with their 4 cylinder Equinox that write to John Johnston he can add that number to his list and hopefully get a fix for us. Graham and John are sounding very incouraging. Please write to John Johnston at jjohnston@fmca.com His phone numbers are 800 543 3622 or a direct number is 513 388 5209. My husband and I have written to GM, talked twice to them, they sent us to their choice of dealership to have our car checked out, no problem with alignment etc etc. We have also written to the NHTSA and FTC. Replied to the National Highway Traffic Safety A in an email they sent to us requesting more information. The more noise the better. We have the same set up you have, road master checked it out, everything is fine there also.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #195

Wish I had found this thread a month ago. We just purchased a 2017 4 cyl Equinox to tow behind our Palazzo. We are supposed to take it tomorrow to have everything installed for flat towing. Now, I am nervous. Prior to this, everything I read said it was an excellent toad. That's why we bought it. We had a Honda CRV, but it was a 2015 and that was the year they made them NOT flat-towable. (When we bought it, we owned a dually and fifth-wheel so it wasn't an issue.) Guess I'll just hope we are one of the many lucky ones who don't have an issue. Will go ahead and have the charge line for the battery installed. Just in case . . .
vmyoung61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #196

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyoung61 View Post
Will go ahead and have the charge line for the battery installed. Just in case . . .
Smart decision. Be prepared.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy