Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #491

I have been towing a 2019 with no problems. But that was fortuitious. Something, i think the transmission, had two types available. One is good for towing 4 down, one is not. I took the one that I thought would have lower maintenance cost, then found out the other one could not be towed 4-down. Also, there were reports of a wiggle, but i did not experience it. It may have been the result of a tow bar not being level. Have the dealer dig out the owners manual and see what it says, then try to verify that on-line. FMCA was in direct contact with GM and their findings were published on-line.
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #492

I just remembered. I have the front wheel drive. The four wheel drive cannot be towed 4-down. Hope this helps.
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #493
NXR

Chevy Equinox

Quote:
I just remembered. I have the front wheel drive. The four wheel drive cannot be towed 4-down. Hope this helps.

The Equinox AWD can be towed 4-down as long as AWD is engaged. I do it with my 2020 and the Owners Manual confirms it is acceptable.

I think the Equinox has only had AWD and never four-wheel drive.

You may be thinking of the 2018 models. 2018 was a major redesign year and there were certain engine/transmission combinations that could not be towed four-down. In the 2019 model year that changed.

Ray
Old 08-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #494

I have a 2020 Equinox Premiere which I bought from a dealer. This car already had 3600 miles on it because they used it as a loaner. I loved the size and all the bells and whistles. My issued is that twice I had to have the car towed to the dealer because it would crank fast but not start. The first time they reset a code but didn’t know what was really wrong. The second time it was towed (6weeks ago) they can’t figure it out. GM told them to change the transmission module which is like a computer that communicates with the main computer? It’s still in the shop with no conclusion in site.
Oh…the dealer asked me to come and get the car and take to someone who would take the Demco Stay/Play and all the towing wiring off so they can eliminate that the towing equipment isn’t causing the problem.
Sorry, I was venting. I think I may have a lemon. I’m sure most Equinox cars are just fine. I do really like my car if they could get it fixed.
RVJAg
Jagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #495
NXR

Chevy Equinox

Quote:
I have a 2020 Equinox Premiere which I bought from a dealer. This car already had 3600 miles on it because they used it as a loaner. I loved the size and all the bells and whistles. My issued is that twice I had to have the car towed to the dealer because it would crank fast but not start. The first time they reset a code but didn’t know what was really wrong. The second time it was towed (6weeks ago) they can’t figure it out. GM told them to change the transmission module which is like a computer that communicates with the main computer? It’s still in the shop with no conclusion in site.
Go here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/C...Communications

Click the + next to each item on each page. I recall seeing several that dealt with a "crank but no start" condition.

When you find one, expand Associated Documents and you'll find the GM TSB PDF saying what to do. I think some were still under investigation, though.

Print them out and carry them to the dealer and ask whether they followed the steps in each one.

Example: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...93471-9999.pdf

Ray
Old 08-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #496

Wow. I didn't think a question about towing a car would have 36 pages of replies! We have towed a 2019 Equinox for almost two years now behind our Winnebago Forza 34T Class DP. From PA/DE to CO/WY and back, and other places for over 10K miles we have towed it with no problem. We use the Blue Ox towing system with Air Force braking. There is a power hook-up cable so that we do not deplete the battery. I'm not a DIYer so, we paid someone to put all this in.

You have to be sure to get the right model Equinox, because not all will work. Check the tow guides available online. We got the LT AWD model with the 2.0L engine. There are steps listed in the manual that you have to follow, including being in AWD. And...you are limited to 65 MPH or they say you will void the warranty.

I always have my co-pilot check that the lights are all working, the tow bar locks, and the wheels on the Equinox are turning before I let her get in. And I keep the rear view camera on on the dash so I can keep an eye on it.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #497

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
My 2019 1.5L FWD drive Stay in Play Duo hasn’t been any issues in about 10,000 towed miles
Old 09-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #498

I am right now trying to route a Ready-Brake cable on my 2018 Equinox. It seems there is no way to install the cable conduit so that the end comes out straight for hook up. All the cheap plastic is so close to every thing that there is no room to even get it routed to the front of the car. I now have it coming under the base plate (cross bar). But I can't get the cable lined up straight on the slanted bottom of the front plastic and it seems that it will be too low.
So, how did you do it?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
I am right now trying to route a Ready-Brake cable on my 2018 Equinox. It seems there is no way to install the cable conduit so that the end comes out straight for hook up. All the cheap plastic is so close to every thing that there is no room to even get it routed to the front of the car. I now have it coming under the base plate (cross bar). But I can't get the cable lined up straight on the slanted bottom of the front plastic and it seems that it will be too low.
So, how did you do it?
BoJango,

I don't know if this is what you need to know or helps your situation, but here goes.

The dealer we bought the MH from did all the installations for me including all the wiring in the 2018 Equinox. When we picked everything up, they spent about an hour going through every nuance dealing with the towing of the Equinox (this was not the PDI). I remember the technician complaining about how difficult it was running the wires in, around, under, and through the Equinox and about all the plastic he encountered during the routing of the wires. Because of all the plastic on the front of the Equinox, instead of installing a 7-pin connector somewhere on the Equinox grill area, he fabricated his own umbilical using the same colored wires he used to actually wire the Equinox. So under the hood of the Equinox we have a 10 foot coil of wires (ending in a 7-pin plug) wrapped in electrical tape which is hooked to the lights, etc., in the Equinox.

When we are ready to connect, one of the duties my wife has is to uncoil the umbilical cord which is coiled out of the way under the hood, loosely twist it a couple of times around the left arm of the tow bar, then let the end hang loose. Then I plug the 7-pin into the back of the MH, start the MH, then use my amp meter to check the amperage coming from the MH through the black charging wire. With the RVi3 Brake unit installed and connected, and all the electronics in the Equinox turned off, I should get anywhere between 6 to 7 amps. If so, when we finish the rest of our duties, we are ready to go. Honestly, I would much rather have a normal umbilical cord that plugs into outlets on the MH and car, but as you found, there isn't a good spot to mount a 7-pin outlet on the Equinox.

This is off the subject a bit, but we now have 85,000 miles on the 2018 Equinox, 25,000 of those are actual towing behind the MH miles. The Equinox is OK to drive except I absolutely hate the auto on/off function which turns the engine off when you come to a stop. And there isn't a way to turn that feature off. We want to get a new toad, and were looking at Jeep Wranglers that have a bit higher ground clearance, but Jeeps are so hot right now that you can't touch them. And I understand that the Jeeps are very easy to connect to the MH and you don't have to go through the same type of exercises you do to connect the Equinox.

I hope this helps!

Ed
LovToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #500

Thank you ED. It was difficult to do, but I ran the wires for the lights while I had the plastic off to install the base plate. I routed the Ready Brake cable conduit through many crooks and turns from the brake peddle to the front after I had re-installed the plastic front. I found it so difficult, that I aborted the run, snatched it all out and started over. I then ran the conduit along the frame, keeping it much straighter and with lot of hassle, ran it through the plastic over to the left, off center to prevent the Ready Brake cable from bending around and scrubbing on a part of the tow bar. Running the charge wire wasn't too much of a hassle. I plan to run it through the 7 pin connectors also. But as of now, I can hook up and roll.
I ran a #10 wire for the charge wire. Then I added a 30 amp fuse holder with #12 leads at the car battery. I already had the fuse holder with the #12 leads and I installed a 25 amp fuse. I think and hope the #12 wire will handle the load okay.
Now I know why Jan suggested I hire someone else to do the installation.
OFF SUBJECT: I'm not thrilled with the Equinox. But Jan convinced me we didn't need an added vehicle.

I don't like my 2018 Silverado 5.3 V8 engine cutting back to 4 cylinders when at relaxed speed. I have entertained the idea of ordering the kit, chip or whatever it takes to eliminate that function.
BACK ON SUBJECT: We plan to tow the Equinox from Crawfordville, Florida to Cherokee, North Florida next month.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:07 AM   #501

Ed, the Jeep Wrangler I had was ideal and easy to tow. The only reason I sold it is because Jan complained about climbing into and out of it. She's kinda short and I don't tease her about it.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
I ran a #10 wire for the charge wire. Then I added a 30 amp fuse holder with #12 leads at the car battery. I already had the fuse holder with the #12 leads and I installed a 25 amp fuse. I think and hope the #12 wire will handle the load okay.
If you don't have one, I would highly recommend getting a good quality meter that can measure DC amps. I had no idea what my charge line was doing until one of the posters on this thread made that recommendation. Now, the last thing I do before I close the hood on the Equinox is to check the amps flowing from the MH charge line to the Equinox battery. I made a small loop of the 12 gauge charge line so that I can get the meters "jaws" around that one wire. When our RVi3 Brake is plugged in and set, I want to see a reading anywhere from 5.5 to 7.0 amps. Then I know the battery is being charged by the MH.

I did replace my charge line and ground wire about 6 months ago. The original charge line was damaged and the ground wire turned out to be about 16 gauge, so new 12 gauge was installed for both. I used a 20 amp fuse at the battery.

Sue is 5'-0" so "height" is not in my vocabulary.
LovToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #503

Well…. It appears I finally solved my equinox battery going totally dead each time I towed it. I installed the LSL Toad charge system. Just completed a 1700 miles round and the car started right up even without running it each time we stopped for fuel. Hallelujah!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #504

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2018 Equinox that we flat tow. We sold our RV and it is all set up for a Blue Ox which comes with it. It has 30,000 miles but 15,000 of them were towed. We upgraded it with leather seats. It gets 30 mpg. It also has the RV battery charger so that it doesn't lose charge while towing. Comes with the brake system and cable. The car does not have a mark or door ding on it. Has large screen and car play for both Android and Apple.
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy