Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #141

We towed a 2012 4-cylinder front wheel drive Equinox for twp years (about 16,000 miles) and then replaced it with a 2014 Equinox 4-cylinder front drive Equinox for another 16,000 miles.

We have yet to observe that problem described and have full-time cameras on the Toad. Not disputing Roadhouse38 but take the issue with a grain of salt.

So it is not every 4-cylinder Equinox that has issues.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #142

Dale & Mark....

Good news reported about your Equinoxes.

Just wondering.....what was the difference between the 2012 and 2014 models?

If there wasn't one, it appears you bought the same 4 cylinder FWD version, so why the upgrade?

Just wondering and hoping I don't have the problem (I won't get to tow it until April).
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #143

A severe hail storm made it easier to upgrade than repair.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
We have a 2014 Equinox with the 4 banger and FWD. After reading this thread i am now wondering if I should bite the bullet and purchase something for towing. I'd hate to spend all the cash on the baseplate and labor to have something like this occur and then want to change it out and have to do it all over again.

Freaking Quandary... UGH!
Big Bill why not just leave the key in acc and add a charge line until GM figures it out if they ever do? All it takes is two self setting or regular type fuses and enough wire to go from the coach battery to the toad battery.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #145

I may do that. But its not clear to me if that is actually the fix. I have not seen something that explains why it happens to some and not the others. Its more like we did that and haven't experienced it again..yet.

-Bill

Maybe I can talk my neighbor into selling me his 2000 4x Cherokee that he's towed around 50k miles and it has 60k on it. Already has the baseplate mounted, just not sure the brand
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #146

We with the 4 cylinder Equinox do have a delima, and I am sure the word is misspelled. We bought our Equinox in Feb of 2015, did not have a problem until late October 2015 and we have had 5 wobbles since then, always on a two lane road, old roads, once though coming out of a fueling station when we went from their lot onto the road, DID NOT go over a curb when we did the exit. We are always on pins and needles as to when it will happen, we do watch our rear view camera all the time, it's on all the time, we have seen the wobble, when we are able to pull over and stop it stops, sometimes we have not been able to pull over so we stop in the middle to the road when it's safe. People that are behind us back off. Putting a bungee cord as suggested by someone is totally unsafe, putting a wire on is something GM should be doing not us, and GM apparently does not care, they have been told and say "we have never heard of this problem", which is a lie, another couple and we have talked to the same person at GM, FMCA has talked to them, they (GM) DO NOT CARE. Guess we will continue to tow our Equinox until we can afford to buy another tow vehicle, and hope this one does not come loose and kill someone. Bad attitude of mine, but, since nobody will do anything that is what it is. Had the local GM dealership check our Equinox out, tires good, alignment good, hitch set up by Road Master good, written to NHTSA, FTC, FMCA and GM, we have done our part.
rockieroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #147

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Chevy Equinox

If you don't need 4wd look into the Chevy Captiva 6cyl.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #148

Winnebago Owners Club
saw on line you tow a Equinox. I just got a 2017 ve awd for this purpose. Just wondering where you plugged in your brake buddy for the 12 volts. I pulled fuse 32 today and all 3 front 12 volt plugs went dead.
Also did you use a roadmaster base plate kit? If so there appears to be some type of cooler mounted bottom, center of grill area. Looks like it is attached to the factory bracket that comes off. Any input on this?
Thanks
rick5963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #149

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick5963 View Post
saw on line you tow a Equinox. I just got a 2017 ve awd for this purpose. Just wondering where you plugged in your brake buddy for the 12 volts. I pulled fuse 32 today and all 3 front 12 volt plugs went dead.
Also did you use a roadmaster base plate kit? If so there appears to be some type of cooler mounted bottom, center of grill area. Looks like it is attached to the factory bracket that comes off. Any input on this?
Thanks

Who are you asking?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick5963 View Post
Thanks
The only DC receptacle that stays alive with the ignition off is the only in the cargo area.

I wired an additional receptacle using a fuse tap to an always on fuse circuit for our Apollo (Brake Buddy like).

I also wired a switch into the fuse for towing so we do not have to pull it. It is easy using a fuse tap and a lot lower in cost than the commercially made fuse switches. Fuse Switch
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #151

I did not need a 12V outlet as I am using a Brakemaster that uses the coaches compressed air for supplemental braking, so I cannot help you out there. We used the Roadmaster baseplate 3160-3b and the Roadmaster Falcon 5250 towbar that came with the coach.
Sounds like the cargo area 12V still works, but will discharge your battery quicker. Due to the wobble issues we had, I have chosen to leave the fuse in place now and have connected my coach 12V starting batteries thru the cable to the Equinox and charge the battery from the coach alternator as we go.
Roadhouse38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #152
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Wobble

Traveling north bound on I-75 in Tennessee within 100 miles of the Tennessee Georgia border I hit a very rough patch of the interstate going 64 mph. My 2012 4 cylinder Chevrolet Equinox started to violently shake my motor home, when I glanced at my rear view monitor the steering wheel on the car was whipping back and forth. Forcing me to make an emergency stop on the outside berm, this was around 3:00 AM there was little traffic at the time, so I was lucky. When my speed dropped to 5 to 10 mph it stopped and it never happened again. After some thought this was the 2nd time this happened and around the part of I-75 north bound about 2 years ago.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #153

Monaco Owners Club
I would check the tow brackets if it were me
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #154

X2, especially at the higher speeds. Ours hasn't experienced that high speeds, but lower yes, electronic steering can't handle the bumps and or change of direction at the same time.
One thing I added was a bungee to the bottom of steering wheel to seat. Its doesn't totally eliminate the issue but rather settled it faster back to tracking correctly.

Tags
chevy