Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid View Post
I'm just getting into the MH and towing a Toad but I had a Camco Kar Kaddy SS lighly use giving to me, it's a no brainer I also was thinking about flat towing but that would have been a little more money maybe one day in the future but since the KK was giving to me I want worry about it.
Flat-tow is certainly a superior method if you have the right toad. But, some toads are easier than others, and very few are ideal. If I have to crawl under the vehicle to disconnect a drive shaft, to me, that isn't viable. If I have to run the engine at every second fuel stop, that's too much trouble. Even tapping into the brake light wiring seems like a hack job. No thanks. The Civic is still totally unmodified, ready to drive and ready to sell if I decide to change vehicles.

With the new and used car markets as messed up as they are right now, I decided to hang onto the perfectly good 2016 Honda Civic that I already own.

I did take a hard look at aluminum flat bed trailers and almost bought one.
But, I ultimately decided that those things are too heavy, too expensive, and too bulky to store. And, an electric brake controller is just another piece of equipment that I don't want.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
not a total bed of roses

I don't want to leave the impression that pulling a tow dolly is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are definitely some disadvantages and annoyances.
  • a tow dolly weighs significantly more than a flat-tow yoke setup
  • backing up a loaded tow dolly is nearly impossible
  • loading or unloading takes 10-15 minutes, including straps and safety chains.
  • the overall width of a tow dolly is 102 inches, wider than my Class-C. Keeping it on the road requires extra attention.

But, overall, the advantages easily outweigh the bad in my situation.
I get to keep my 2016 Civic with no modifications, need no electric brake controller, and I don't have to buy another car. In Virginia, the dolly does not even need to be registered (no plates).

When the motorhome broke down 300 miles from home, having a toad was a blessing. We were able to leave the MH at a Ford dealer and come back for it a week later.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:09 AM   #17

I have that exact dolly. It is a quality product and you'll like it. You saved a bundle on assembling it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
I've been shopping dollies for the past week. Pretty sure I've seen everything out there. Here is what I've learned:

It will be no surprise to anybody that prices are up sharply since I was shopping three years ago. I'm guessing nearly 50%.

After eliminating the junk, I found 11 models to consider. Including tax and shipping, the prices ranged from $2100 to $5500

What type of brakes? You can get surge-disc brakes, or surge-drum brakes, or electric-drum brake. But, I have not found anything with electric-disc brakes. Disc brakes are simpler, more effective, and require less maintenance. But, if you want them, they only come with a surge actuator.

There are three types of steering mechanisms:
1. fixed deck. The steering wheel of the toad is left unlocked so the wheels can turn. Least expensive.
2. pivot deck. The steering wheel of the toad is immobilized. The front wheels of the toad sit on a deck that pivots through turns. Most common.
3. dolly wheels steer. Like a grain wagon, the wheels of the dolly turn to follow the hitch. Easiest on the tires, but most expensive.

Painted or galvanized? Galvanized is much more expensive.
There are no aluminum dollies.

Assembled or unassembled? If you don't mind lugging a 500 lb axle in your garage, you can have a tow dolly shipped to your home and you can assemble it yourself. That will save you over $1000 compared to picking it up at a terminal.

For me, the Demco Kar Kaddy SS was the clear winner if price is no object.
Sadly, price does matter, so I will have to skip galvanized, wheels that steer, and the folding tongue/ramps.

The Kar Kaddy X has everything else that I want:
low profile, LED taillights, easy tilt-latch mechanism, good quality ratchets, plastic fenders, big radial tires, quality construction, and yes, surge-disc brakes.

I may be back here in a year to tell you all why I hate it, but for now, I'm giving it a go.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
Flat-tow is certainly a superior method if you have the right toad. But, some toads are easier than others, and very few are ideal. If I have to crawl under the vehicle to disconnect a drive shaft, to me, that isn't viable. If I have to run the engine at every second fuel stop, that's too much trouble. Even tapping into the brake light wiring seems like a hack job. No thanks. The Civic is still totally unmodified, ready to drive and ready to sell if I decide to change vehicles.

With the new and used car markets as messed up as they are right now, I decided to hang onto the perfectly good 2016 Honda Civic that I already own.

I did take a hard look at aluminum flat bed trailers and almost bought one.
But, I ultimately decided that those things are too heavy, too expensive, and too bulky to store. And, an electric brake controller is just another piece of equipment that I don't want.

I agree with you sir I thought about all of that so that's why I started looking for the tow dolly but a good friend in my church found one and bought it and gave it to me, what's not to like.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid View Post
Those look pretty nice and the cost is not bad, which one did you get the 8' 1/2 or the 9' one?
The 9 give you more versatility with for various vehicles over the long term. As I mentioned I've towed a variety of vehicles over the years and the 9 gave me the room I needed for all the various sizes. Don't notice the width as its still within the width of the moho mirrors and i like being able to eyeball the dolly tires in the mirror when on the road.
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
The 9 give you more versatility with for various vehicles over the long term. As I mentioned I've towed a variety of vehicles over the years and the 9 gave me the room I needed for all the various sizes. Don't notice the width as its still within the width of the moho mirrors and i like being able to eyeball the dolly tires in the mirror when on the road.

Yes sir, thank you.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly