Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:21 AM   #15

I have almost an identical setup. I don't have the hitch adapter. I haven't experienced any issues.

Is the black brake cable being held down by a tie wrap? It also appears to be damaged right where the shock cover starts. It's hard to tell from the picture. Maybe the cable is catching during turns. The Readybrake installation guide shows the black cable lifted above the towbar and center of the vehicle. Yours appears to be to the left and laying on the towbar.

Also, it probably doesn't matter but the two ears that are pointed down are meant to point up, so the towbar can be stored while still mounted. My setup is not as high as yours and I have scrapped the towbar going into at least one gas station. Had my tabs been down, it would have certainly caused some damage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
I have almost an identical setup. I don't have the hitch adapter. I haven't experienced any issues.

Is the black brake cable being held down by a tie wrap? It also appears to be damaged right where the shock cover starts. It's hard to tell from the picture. Maybe the cable is catching during turns. The Readybrake installation guide shows the black cable lifted above the towbar and center of the vehicle. Yours appears to be to the left and laying on the towbar.

Also, it probably doesn't matter but the two ears that are pointed down are meant to point up, so the towbar can be stored while still mounted. My setup is not as high as yours and I have scrapped the towbar going into at least one gas station. Had my tabs been down, it would have certainly caused some damage.
The black cable is free and clear. It's just laying on the tow bar because the tow bar isn't at full extension in the pic. It rises. It is off to the side a little because of the winch being centered. I don't think that is causing the issue as it does it in both directions.

Since you have the same exact set up without the adapter. I'm wondering if that is the problem. After examining after all of my components, the only thing bent is that adapter.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #17

The cable being off center can cause the brake to be applied when making a turn to the opposite direction of the offset. How much depends on how much slack you leave in the cable - and there isn’t much slack to work with to begin with. I think the max probably ok distance of the lever arm the cable is attached is only 2-1/2” or so. Much offset will eat that up pretty quickly (and that is full stroke with inertia applied), and the angular distance in a turn will pull the brake pedal.

That could be what bent the offset - dragging the Jeep thru a corner as the brakes were applied even though the ReadyBrake wasn’t seeing any inertia.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
The cable being off center can cause the brake to be applied when making a turn to the opposite direction of the offset. How much depends on how much slack you leave in the cable - and there isnít much slack to work with to begin with. I think the max probably ok distance of the lever arm the cable is attached is only 2-1/2Ē or so. Much offset will eat that up pretty quickly (and that is full stroke with inertia applied), and the angular distance in a turn will pull the brake pedal.

That could be what bent the offset - dragging the Jeep thru a corner as the brakes were applied even though the ReadyBrake wasnít seeing any inertia.

After testing it Turning at near full turn in either direction does not apply brakes.

I think Iím going to start removing components to determine which ones will stop the chucking them to from there.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dumb question here....Is the Jeep steering wheel unlocked?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:28 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I thought the same.
Most vehicles with steering lock will disengage by turning key on and off 2 times from what I have heard. Our Grand Cherokee is always unlocked after the neutral procedure.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

No. The Jeeps steering wheels do not lock.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:57 AM   #22

I assume the Readybrake and the BlueOx is longer than a Hercules? How long is your combo (Readybrake and BlueOx)?

It would be helped by tightening up the connections. I have a 4 inch drop to a Hercules and had slop in the system so I was getting a lot of movement like you are. I could feel my truck banging around from side to side and see it in the camera as well.

I added a shim I found on ebay to tighten up the drop hitch into the motorhome hitch. Then I added a Roadmaster hitch tightener where the drop hitch attaches to the motorhome. Then I added the NSA Derattler to the Hercules attaches to the drop hitch. Now almost all the slack is gone and it's much better to drive. The Roadmaster tightener is a nice piece...very solid. I tried a BlueOx hitch tightener and it was junk...it bent and broke.

I wish there were a hitch that had a lower receiver so I could eliminate my drop hitch.

I'm kind of embarrassed I paid $13 for this but it works. Saved me time making something and it works well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274070289210

Roadmaster that I like a lot:
https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-06...01739491&psc=1

Too weak:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX882...58707141&psc=1