Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Chucking Issue

I'll try to explain this the best way I can. I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip up central California, Oregon, and Washington. I towed my Jeep JLUR with my Jayco Redhawk 31F Class C motorhome. The connection between the motorhome and Jeep goes as follows.

Hitch adapter in motorhome receiver to raise hitch 4 inches
Ready brake system into the hitch adapter
Blue Ox Tow bar into the ready brake system
Aftermarket LOD bumper to blue ox tow bar

I'm experiencing what I describe as a chucking issue. Because I need so many connection points and the distance from motorhome to front of jeep is long, I feel a lag when I turn the motorhome and when the jeep responds. You turn on a curve at highway speed, motorhome turns, it lags, and then the Jeep jerks when the flop ends. It jerked so much I believe I bent the hitch adapter. Any suggestions to solving this issue? I read about those hitch de-rattlers but I can only use those on the connection to the motorhome and the connection from blue ox to ready brake. You can't put one on the connection between ready brake and hitch adapter as the ready brake needs to slide.

Below are pics of the connection and what I believe to be a bent hitch adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8819.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	369223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	369224  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8866.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	369225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8867.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	369226  

Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #2

That picture clearly shows a bent adapter. I suspect the MH overhang plus the added length of the readybrake is the root cause.
Example; you turn left at an intersection, tail of MH swing to the right in the middle of the turn, this is ampflied by the readybrake. You straighten out, causing a swift straightening of the tail of the MH, which in turn caused the extended tow-bar to make a sudden whip to the left, and Jeep follows.

For a test, try towing your Jeep a short distance without the readybrake in the hitch for a low speed test of turning a corner. Just be aware there are no brakes on the Jeep during this.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #3

To start off with, I’m inclined to say that you may have exceeded the tow rating for the intermediate hitch with the Jeep. Either that or the intermediate hitch is faulty.
But I would definitely get one that is straight.

Next, does the MoHo have a rear trac bar? My thinking here is with the weight of that heavy Jeep behind you, and considering the distance from the hitch setup to the rear axle, that between the bent intermediate hitch and the hitch distance and possibly no trac bar, all kinds of weird things could happen when towing.

I believe our new Jeep JK comes in at 5300#’s. I just ordered a track bar for our Workhorse W22 chassis because towing our previous 4400# TJ, “tail wagging” was felt.

FWIW - we pretty much have the same setup as you with the ReadyBrake and intermediate hitch, and a Jeep JK - but we don’t have the big tires.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #4

I think you have the problem figured out. Don't think I've ever come across a tow set up with that much distance between the receiver and the toad. Can imagine there being a lot of pressure being put on the assembly, especially when cornering.

I know level is best but I think I might try it without the raised adapter to see how the Jeep towed.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #5

In a sharp right hand turn, you are attempting to drag the Jeep to the left. It is tracking outside of the RV track. That puts to much stress on a of your connections.

You could probably watch it happen if you had someone pull forward with the steering turned to the right.

I had similar situation with my 30 ft class C with its 13 foot overhang. Turning away from a curb, my tow dolly would rub and then climb the curb as it tracked outside the rear tires.
You may have encountered something like that which bent the part of your hitch.

Maybe use a different brake system and no adaptor to shorten things up.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #6

Who made that adapter? Harbor freight or a real brand?
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #7

Ready Brake (NSA) makes a de-rattler especially for the Ready Brake, works great.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. The hitch adapter was made my Curt and was rated for 7500 lbs. The Jeep weighs no more than 5300 lbs. If I remove the adapter, it’ll put it at a 4 inch difference with the Jeep being higher. From everything I’ve read, that can be a disaster in an emergency stopping situation.

Like suggested. I’m going to tow the Jeep without the ready brake to see if it does it. The length may be an issue and the only way I may be able to fix that is with a different brake system but that is quite an expensive gamble to see if it fixes the problem.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:01 AM   #9

I’ll be watching for your results as our first trip with the new to us JK is in about 2 weeks, Dallas to CO - our setup the same except for the MoHo. But in 5 trips pulling a Jeep TJ, the issue you have didn’t present.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Thanks for the responses. The hitch adapter was made my Curt and was rated for 7500 lbs. The Jeep weighs no more than 5300 lbs. If I remove the adapter, it’ll put it at a 4 inch difference with the Jeep being higher. From everything I’ve read, that can be a disaster in an emergency stopping situation.

Like suggested. I’m going to tow the Jeep without the ready brake to see if it does it. The length may be an issue and the only way I may be able to fix that is with a different brake system but that is quite an expensive gamble to see if it fixes the problem.
I have never believed in the Ready Brake system. It makes height difference all that more important. With a good braking system, the levelness is not as important. This per a post in the sticky at the top of this page.
I do not want to rely on a cable and inertia. I prefer AF1 or equivalent for a gas coach.
First off ( Ready Brake) adds length, second it makes height difference critical. Thirdly, almost every towbar manufacturer does not allow three connections. In other words you can use ready brake and tow bar, adapter and tow bar, but not adapter, ready brake and towbar
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Rather than changing out the braking system you might look into changing out the tow bar: instead of using the Ready Brake and a Blue Ox tow bar look at the Ready Brute tow bar - it combines the Ready Brake with the tow bar in a single unit so it eliminates one of your connection points.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Rather than changing out the braking system you might look into changing out the tow bar: instead of using the Ready Brake and a Blue Ox tow bar look at the Ready Brute tow bar - it combines the Ready Brake with the tow bar in a single unit so it eliminates one of your connection points.
Good point Alan!

I didn’t zoom into the picture by the OP to see the Ready Brake module - we use the ReadyBrake II so don’t have the multiple connections. Could be the difference as the one the OP has sets the toad back another 12”-16”.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

That was my original plan, however, there wasn’t a clevis for the Hercules tow bar with the ready brake system to connect to my aftermarket bumper on my Jeep. They only made them for the major tow bar manufacturers.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #14

Thinking out loud here. I wonder if I could buy a beefier hitch adapter and then use 3 hitch de-rattlers. See if they would prevent the slop and chucking issue.

I was really going for the ease of installation and mechanical function of the ready brake. No drain on the Jeep battery while in tow. That might have backfired on me a little.