Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Class A

Just bought a 2008 Holiday Rambler Neptune. Now need to connect a 2014 Honda CR-V. Any suggestions?
RCGoodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No different than any other installation. You'll need to select a tow bar and base plates for the CRV. The hardest decision is selecting a braking system for the Honda.

So there are many brands to choose from for the above products or go with one that combines them all. Ready Brake (by Night Shift Auto) makes an all in one tow bar and brake system, reducing costs and adding simplicity. You'll still need to buy base plates to attach to the front of the CRV.

https://www.readybrake.com/

Just my personal opinion.....I like the Ready Brake for lighter cars, like your CRV, but not a fan of them for something as heavy as what I tow.

Lighting is fairly easy on the CRV. A company called Etrailer sells a kit that easily connects the taillight wires into one unit.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...ID=20141372978

Lastly, the CRV has a battery smaller than some motorcycles, which can be problematic when towing. For about $100, you can buy a battery box/holder for a Honda Odyssey and a new battery, which is larger and will directly replace the one in the CRV. You can read about the install and part numbers in post #6 here....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/batt...rv-330332.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Solid advice from Don. I'd suggest one of the top-of-the-line tow bars rather than a low-priced model - they really are easier to use under all sorts of conditions. Base plates to match the brand of the tow bar, though there are adapters to cross-fit all the brands.

I'm ok with the NSA Readybrute towbar & brake, but would also recommend one of the Roadmaster or Blue Ox RV-mounted towbars and the Demco Air Force 1 (AF1) brake system that ties nicely to your Neptune's air-brake system. A bit more expensive than the NSA package, though. For Roadmaster, it would be a Falcon or Sterling model; for Blue Ox probably one of the Alpha models.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #4

Good advice from Don and Gary above. Check out the various tow bar assemblies and make your choice. As far as brake systems, we use the M&G on our 2013 CRV, and we are very pleased with it. I installed a charge line directly to the CRV battery, and it keeps the battery charged even after a long day of driving. t cost me about $12 for parts, and less than an hour to install.
Good luck on your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! We have a 2013 Honda CRV and use the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake and a Roadmaster baseplate. We also use the NSA breakaway system. It has worked well for us for 8 years. It's simple, yet effective, and costs less than anything else on the market that I'm aware of. The NSA lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a