Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello. I just got a HR Admiral 30' on a P series Workhorse chassis. I want to pull a 19' enclosed trailer (2000#) with electric brakes. I am looking for some direction on how to find the wiring schematic, or other help that will tell me where to connect my Prodigy brake controller. I have done this on my Dodge Ram with little no problem, but can not see to find the right connections under the dash on this motorhome.

Where would I look to find this? Have there been other posts on this forum regarding wiring up for electric brakes?

Thanks.
'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello. I just got a HR Admiral 30' on a P series Workhorse chassis. I want to pull a 19' enclosed trailer (2000#) with electric brakes. I am looking for some direction on how to find the wiring schematic, or other help that will tell me where to connect my Prodigy brake controller. I have done this on my Dodge Ram with little no problem, but can not see to find the right connections under the dash on this motorhome.

Where would I look to find this? Have there been other posts on this forum regarding wiring up for electric brakes?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

I think this is a coach question, rather than a chassis question.

In any case, on my Newmar Scottsdale there's a bundle of wires behind the dash (accessible through the dash top cover) that are intended for use with a brake controller.

Yours may be the same. Maybe not.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Moved this back to Towing Issues and Toads.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for moving this around. I am not entirely familiar with your forum yet, but have found it helpful.

As I mentioned, my '04 HR Admiral on a P32 Workhorse Chassis needs a Prodigy Brake controller installed and I need to understand a little more about what is needed.

Does anyone know for sure if this rig is pre-wired? From what I can tell it is not, but I may be missing something.

Where can I get a wiring schematic for this chassis and coach?

Specific to the HR on the WH P series, has anyone had any experience installing the brake controller that may speak to the splice points and any concerns with the auto park brake?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just an update in case anyone has a similar project.

Ran two wires front to back (brakes and trailer battery power)with 30 AMP circuit braker mounted to the firewall and tapped into the solid white wire on the brake peddle for the controller.

It took a few hours, but was worth it to save the $XXX that would have been spent at the dealer.

In my case, total cost: $27 for cable and circuit, $3 for connectors, $15 for Prodigy pigtail and bracket = $45. Everything works great.

You can do it!