Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Class C for towing a Jeep

This is a heavy 4 door probably 5000 pounds or more with winch and bumpers. Is there a C that will tow it from So Cal north over all the mountains without doing 30 MPH and 5 MPG. Sometimes I travel with the fresh tank full also. Just me and the dog. Don't want a super C. I have herd that the 6 speed trans helped. I am spoiled with the Ram diesel as it has power to spare but would like to move to the MH/Jeep combo. The big RV show is here in Pomona so I'll be looking.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not an expert on this but I would think any ford v-10 would tow your jeep as long as the hitch is rated for it. Probably 7-8 mpg. I get about 8 1/2 towing a Camry on a dolly. Probably 3700 pounds.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on the individual C, yes, done all the time. I have a 31' towing a 4-runner all over the west. No problem on most passes. Now get to 8000' pass and at the top YES I was down to 35 mph. I average 7.5 MPG. Most up to 5000' I'm passing most trucks and many DPers towing at 50 plus. Just make sure the one you choose has the capacity, RV itself and the hitch.

LEN
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Depends on the unit. A lot of C's have a 5000 lb or less hitch.

IMHO you will find it will narrow you down to just a few units. Most do not have a heavy enough frame extension to change hitches.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will a C tow it better than a heavier A with the same V10 and trans? Any way I go from here there are some real grades to go over. What I now have passes everything and don't want to be doing 40MPH with the engine wound out. I know there will be money spent on tow bar and brakes.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We used to tow a cj-5 with a 1985 4 cylinder manual tranny 75 hp turbo diesel Winnebago LeSharo all over the southwest (this was way before the weight police existed though so who knows the weights) but we made it fine

Wish I still had that thing - very unique 20 ft rv !
Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We used to tow a cj-5 with a 1985 4 cylinder manual tranny 75 hp turbo diesel Winnebago LeSharo all over the southwest (this was way before the weight police existed though so who knows the weights) but we made it fine

Wish I still had that thing - very unique 20 ft rv !

Looks like you have doubled the size of everything. I don't think you are going back.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
This is a heavy 4 door probably 5000 pounds or more with winch and bumpers. Is there a C that will tow it from So Cal north over all the mountains without doing 30 MPH and 5 MPG. Sometimes I travel with the fresh tank full also. Just me and the dog. Don't want a super C. I have herd that the 6 speed trans helped. I am spoiled with the Ram diesel as it has power to spare but would like to move to the MH/Jeep combo. The big RV show is here in Pomona so I'll be looking.

Look at the Dynamax Isata 5 on Ram 5500 chassis with Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel. 10,000lbs towing. capacity. I donít even feel my Jeep Liberty behind it. No problem when I towed it over Donner Pass and other steep grades.
travelingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Highway 4x4,
You won't have any issues. Before moving to the "more relaxed" town of Lake Havasu City AZ, we lived in Ramona CA, about 30 miles NE of down town San Diego. From there, we hooked up with a Jeeping group of about a dozen coaches and Jeeps, and headed to Moab UT for the Easter Jeep Safari, for 14 years in a row. We did that with two different coaches in that time span. The first one was a Class C Ford, 27' long with the 460 in it. That was an outstanding coach. If you've been to Moab from So CAL, you know the route and, what's involved.

We did that route like stated, that many times and, while I didn't beat any of the group up the long grades, we'd normally hover around 40-45 mph on the steepest ones and that was pulling a series of Jeeps, all weighing in the neighborhood 4,500 lbs. or more. That setup worked just fine.

The second coach we did that trip with was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 Chassis and the Triton V-10. That was the first gen of the V-10 and was a 275 HP version. It was equipped with the total Banks kit when we purchased it. It too did that route with not too much issue. The V-10 is a more high-winding motor than the 460 but, it handles loads well.

If you're going to load a coach, and hook up a rolling Kleenex box behind it like a Jeep, you're going to get sh....ty gas mileage, PERIOD!! Don't expect to get anything better, it's not going to happen. Just enjoy the trip(s), the Jeep, and above all, have fun with the dog.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Will a C tow it better than a heavier A with the same V10 and trans? Any way I go from here there are some real grades to go over. What I now have passes everything and don't want to be doing 40MPH with the engine wound out. I know there will be money spent on tow bar and brakes.
Doubtful, unless itís a entry level A I would bet the class A will be easier to drive vs a class C. You might be slower in the class A (vs C) however it will ride better and be easier to deal with. Being a few feet taller and also having the not so aerodynamic front end on the class A will make it that much harder to maintain speed this the drop in mpg.

Both platforms will more then likely be substantially slower vs what you have now with the A/C winding out the engine. If you do not want to wind out the engine, super C (which I know you arenít interested in) or a DP are your best options.

A few years back I spent a few weeks out west, a few times I was under 40mph and I was driving my workhorse chassis/engine 38+ ft Bounder pulling a wrangler unlimited. Could I of gone faster up the hills yes.... w/o a doubt I would of also had the wind out the engine more which I didnít want to do.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really want to keep the length of the MH <32 feet.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

I haven’t driven one of the newer smaller class A coaches like the Thor ace which are under 32ft, might be worth looking into

Also those Mercedes sprinter chassis coaches (like someone mentioned) might be worth looking into

I would take as many as you can for a test drive!

Totally get wanting to stay under a certain size and any gas coach will be a LOT slower vs what you presently drive.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I havenít driven one of the newer smaller class A coaches like the Thor ace which are under 32ft, might be worth looking into

Also those Mercedes sprinter chassis coaches (like someone mentioned) might be worth looking into

I would take as many as you can for a test drive!

Totally get wanting to stay under a certain size and any gas coach will be a LOT slower vs what you presently drive.
If you go with the Mercedes Sprinters, do your homework. Most of them have a very low cccw (some at 800lbs) and it gets worse if you want to tow on top of that. Looked at them myself and walked away when I started checking into this. My BayStar is just under 32', it can tow up to 5000, but even with it (like most smaller Gas coaches) you have to still watch the cccw (which towing is also tied to).
2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker - [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sedaliaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
i purposely sought out a super c to be able to drag my grand cherokee around on a trailer. the ride of the super is pretty sh*tty in comparison to a regular c and an a but can be addressed with air ride which i may do down the road. koni shocks made a huge difference. anyway, the jeep and trailer are right at 6500lbs. all together with the moho, combined is right at 25,500lbs. we went to bishop at the end of july, was hot outside but with the LMM duramax, set the cruise at 55-60 and not even think about it. cajon pass? ha, was steam rolling right up it. I've pulled that hill for 10 years with my old 5th wheel toy hauler behind my LBZ duramax which was right at the same weight with the jeep inside and the moho did it waaaay easier even though it is rated at less HP and torque. i think the axle and trans gearing are responsible for that. we averaged just shy of 10mpg that trip (and that was with the diesel gen running the whole trip with the rear ac on, dash air on and 2 regen cycles on the DPF).

went up the alpine grades on the 8 east this weekend with my wife's vw cc on the dolly for the first time. i had to keep peddling back as it wanted to just run right up over 60, oops!

Tags
class c, tow, towing