Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

Class of tow hitch receiver

Hi, I havent been on here in a while but would like to ask a question'
I would like to add a motorcycle lift to the rear of my 2005 georgieboy pursuit.
Does anyone know what class of tow receiver is on my unit? I think its a class III but not sure.

The company says their unit must have a 3 way hitch if the bike is over 600lbs.
My harley is 647 could I get away without the 3 way hitch?
tlvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
NXR

What you are concerned with is the "tongue weight" capacity of the hitch; how much up-down weight it can hold as opposed to the usual fore-aft (inline) weight.

The tongue weight rating is usually 10% or less of the hitch rating. So if you have a 7,500 pound rated hitch the "tongue weight" rating would be 750 pounds or less. So the weight of the Harley plus its carrier could not exceed 750 pounds.

If you add some kind of dual-receiver adapter so you can tow a car and carry the bike, the adapter cuts the tongue weight rating of the hitch in half (for every one I've seen). The bike plus its carrier then could not exceed 375 pounds if you add the dual-receiver adapter.

"3-way" usually refers to having three balls. Are you certain you understood what they said? Can you post a link to the carrier you're looking at?

Ray
Old 10-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvail View Post
I would like to add a motorcycle lift to the rear of my 2005 georgieboy pursuit.
Does anyone know what class of tow receiver is on my unit? I think its a class III but not sure.

Lots of post on this forum about adding a motorcycle lift to the back of their MH. Be sure and do a search if you have not already so you fully understand how that extra weight on the tongue can significantly change your handling. Seems like the tag units are doing just fine.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Be sure and do a search if you have not already so you fully understand how that extra weight on the tongue can significantly change your handling.
That's a great point. Adding that much weight all the way at the rear will unload some weight from the front axle and things could get squirrely.

Ray
Old 10-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvail View Post

Well tlvail,
Like what's been stated, you'll have to determine if your coach will handle the additional weight, that far back. I've done it multiple ways and no one's died. I don't know the specs of your coach, i.e. engine/chassis/trans and all that but, our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, handled me installing a Hydralift and, carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, all the while, towing an '04 Jeep Rubicon. And that system worked flawlessly for well over 8,000 miles and over 2 years.

But, we changed our *M.O.* as the Cops say and, we've sold the Hydralift and, we recently traded in the Goldwing for an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. I again, wanted to haul that new bike, and still tow our newer, Jeep JkUR. I purchased a Versa Haul M/C rack/carrier for hauling our little TW 200 Yamaha while towing our Jeep but, the Yamaha TW 200 hovers right close to 275 lbs. The Honda A/T hovers right close to 540 lbs.

So, Versa Haul says its unit can handle 500 lbs. Well, 40 lbs. over that isn't all that much but, knowing the many, many miles of Americas *less than perfect* roads, I wanted a bit more strength when carrying a $13,000 bike and towing a $45,000 Jeep. Soooooo, I decided to add two additional receivers to our coach.

I tucked those receivers up under the rear, as close to the bottom of the rear cap as I could get, but still have clearance for any potential body/frame movement. I then creates support arms from 3/16" wall, 2" x 2" square tubing. I bent those arms to capture 1/3 of the weight on each side, and, the original carrying its 1/3rd. So, the original Versa Haul square tubing and my combination of the other two, make one seriously strong platform for that 540 lb. A/T to sit on. There is ZERO FLEX in that entire system.

I don't know how you plan on loading your Harley but, loading my A/T, and it's quite top-heavy, is rather on the dangerous side, being that high up on a rack, on the back of the coach. Sooooo, I decided to create some *removable* scaffolding that I can use to litterally walk that A/T right up its ramp, while I walk on an additional ramp and platform to stabilize it. It all works rather slick.

Of course it helps that my A/T is a completely AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLE! Yep, no clutch to screw around with. I get it up there, and hold it steady while the wife puts the two front tie-downs on it to basically secure it so I can hop down and do the rest. Once the bike is secured, I pull a couple of pins and, the entire *scaffolding* and related parts, are removed and stored in the compartments of the coach. I then hook up the Jeep and, we're off and running.

It's really nice to be able to have both the bike and a toad when traveling. Good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Departure, June-July 2020 trip.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	304964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	304965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	304966  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

The other option would be a trailer for the bike.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
It's really nice to be able to have both the bike and a toad when traveling. Good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
The heck with your hauling capabilities. I'd KILL for that garage!

Ray
Old 10-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well tlvail,
Like what's been stated, you'll have to determine if your coach will handle the additional weight, that far back. I've done it multiple ways and no one's died. I don't know the specs of your coach, i.e. engine/chassis/trans and all that but, our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, handled me installing a Hydralift and, carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, all the while, towing an '04 Jeep Rubicon. And that system worked flawlessly for well over 8,000 miles and over 2 years.

But, we changed our *M.O.* as the Cops say and, we've sold the Hydralift and, we recently traded in the Goldwing for an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. I again, wanted to haul that new bike, and still tow our newer, Jeep JkUR. I purchased a Versa Haul M/C rack/carrier for hauling our little TW 200 Yamaha while towing our Jeep but, the Yamaha TW 200 hovers right close to 275 lbs. The Honda A/T hovers right close to 540 lbs.

So, Versa Haul says its unit can handle 500 lbs. Well, 40 lbs. over that isn't all that much but, knowing the many, many miles of Americas *less than perfect* roads, I wanted a bit more strength when carrying a $13,000 bike and towing a $45,000 Jeep. Soooooo, I decided to add two additional receivers to our coach.

I tucked those receivers up under the rear, as close to the bottom of the rear cap as I could get, but still have clearance for any potential body/frame movement. I then creates support arms from 3/16" wall, 2" x 2" square tubing. I bent those arms to capture 1/3 of the weight on each side, and, the original carrying its 1/3rd. So, the original Versa Haul square tubing and my combination of the other two, make one seriously strong platform for that 540 lb. A/T to sit on. There is ZERO FLEX in that entire system.

I don't know how you plan on loading your Harley but, loading my A/T, and it's quite top-heavy, is rather on the dangerous side, being that high up on a rack, on the back of the coach. Sooooo, I decided to create some *removable* scaffolding that I can use to litterally walk that A/T right up its ramp, while I walk on an additional ramp and platform to stabilize it. It all works rather slick.

Of course it helps that my A/T is a completely AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLE! Yep, no clutch to screw around with. I get it up there, and hold it steady while the wife puts the two front tie-downs on it to basically secure it so I can hop down and do the rest. Once the bike is secured, I pull a couple of pins and, the entire *scaffolding* and related parts, are removed and stored in the compartments of the coach. I then hook up the Jeep and, we're off and running.

Scott
Nice!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The heck with your hauling capabilities. I'd KILL for that garage!

Ray
I'd kill for the $$$ to afford that garage ....wait did I really say that ?
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #10

Hey gents,
I most certainly appreciate the nice comments on both the garage and, I assume the hauling setup. The garage, both RV and the two-car, are very, very common in our neck of the woods, Lake Havasu City AZ. Nine out of ten homes that are being built here, have that same kind of setup, plus or minus size. It is my pride and joy, AND man cave. I had the floor professionally epoxied before we closed escrow, 6.5 years ago. And, being an OLD fireman, we had stripes on our floors in the fire station apparatus floors to help guide the rigs when backing in. Those stripes were yellow duct tape which, wore off about every other month.

So, when I had the floor epoxied, I had the company in-lay those yellow Urethane stripes, BELOW the clear coats. Those stripes WILL NEVER wear off. With those stripes, specifically the one on the drivers side, I can back that rig in and put it within 1/2" of the same exact spot, each and every time. I do that because, my compartment doors on our Itasca are large enough that, when I need to open them on both sides of the rig, they come within 2" of the side walls of the RV garage. So, the need to be precise when backing in and final parked position, is quite necessary.

Anywaaaaaay, thanks again.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think a Georgieboy Pursuit can handle anywhere near that much weight on the back, regardless of the hitch receiver. You will likely exceed the rear axle load rating (GAWR) as well as the receiver weight carrying capacity (which is almost surely no more than 500 lbs). Further, hanging 647 lb plus the weight of the lift off the back is going to have a noticeable effect on handling.

What's a "3-way" hitch? That's not a term I've ever heard of for a receiver. Odds are your Pursuit has a Class 3 receiver, rated for 5000 lbs. towing and 500 lbs weight-carrying.

I don't see a receiver rating but here's the 2005 GBM brochure: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/G...05Brochure.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hate to be the one to say it but a gas coach with the capacity to take the weight of a hydro lift and the bike is a unicorn. Go here - https://rvnstyle.com/rv-motorcycle-l...nd-comparison/ and about halfway thru the article is a formula for determining how much weight you will be adding to the rear axle. Keep in mind the lift is 460 or so pounds before you add the bike.

Using my coach and the OPs bike as an example for the formula in the article I would be adding 2032 lbs to the rear axle. I think after normal loading, with empty waste tanks, a few gallons of potable water and 65 to 70 gallons of fuel I might have 500 lbs or so available.

It's not the receiver that will be the limiting factor but the excess rear axle loading capacity of your coach. An enclosed small trailer would be a better option plus it can be used for more than just the bike.

Tags
hitch, tow