Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
mre

Clunking Sound When Engaging Transfer Case after Flat Tow Mode

I have a 2022 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that I took delivery in July 2022. I’m leaving on a trip this weekend, so I did a couple of dry run setups disengaging (neutral for towing) and engaging the transfer case (for driving).

I understand the full set up process for flat towing and successfully disengaged and then engaged the transfer case. Disengaging the transfer case is a quiet process, however the engaging the transfer case is not. When I engage there is a loud clunk.

Nothing in the manual about noise, so I went to the dealer. The service guy listened to noise and said it was normal as it is a result of the transfer case gears engaging. However, his voice and body language did not inspire my confidence in his answer. He also told me that if damage occurs as a result, it’s under warranty.

Is this normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #2

Maybe if you get back to the dealership you can compare the noise with other new cars on the lot?
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
Maybe if you get back to the dealership you can compare the noise with other new cars on the lot?
Good idea, but there is nothing on the lot.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
I had the same fear when we put our Wrangler into service. Not sure what the sequence is supposed to be on newer Jeep trannys. Now I just go thru the steps of out of neutral into 2 wheel drive before starting the engine. Now my Wrangler has 80K + miles on it, plus thousands of towed miles
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mre and doc mentioned, watch that you are keeping the engine turned off per your owners manual. With the Wrangler, if engine is on, you will hear a horrible noise when trying to reengage.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
As mre and doc mentioned, watch that you are keeping the engine turned off per your owners manual. With the Wrangler, if engine is on, you will hear a horrible noise when trying to reengage.
The owners manual says to leave the Grand Cherokee engine running. This is different than our 2016 Cherokee (not Garand Cherokee) we had where the ignition switch was to be placed in the RUN position without the engine running.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Well,
Not exactly! After owning, building for all scenarios, and towing 9 different Jeep Wranglers over a 35 year period, there is no real reason that you should acquire a noise when putting the Jeeps transfer case back into gear from neutral, even if the engine is running. The prime reason, if it's an automatic, the trans will be IN PARK. That means there is NO COMPONENTS IN THAT TRANSMISSION that are turning. Since there's no turning parts, then the output shaft of the transmission, is not turning anything INSIDE the transfer case. Therefore, you should NOT hear any clanging or banging noises from the gears in the transfer case.

If the Jeep is a stick (God forbid!) then there is what's called *sympathetic POTENTIAL* gear movement (even in neutral) in the trans but it's not very strong movement, if at all. And even then, with the use of the clutch, any and all *potential* movement of gears would cease. So, even with a stick tranny, you should not hear any clank in the TC when re-engaging from neutral.

Besides, there are often times when YOU WANT some gear movement in that TC to get it back into gear when disconnecting from the coach. There have been many, many times when our TC (from any of our Jeeps) would not want to go into 2H range after a tow. In that case, it may slip into 4L very easily which, is fine with us. If that happens, we simply back the Jeep away from the coach in 4L IN A STRAIGHT LINE and while the Jeep is slowly moving, THEN is when we'd slip it very easily into 2H.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #8
mre

We're doing some traveling for a couple of weeks now and have learned from others that the clunking sound is normal and also occurs on pre 2022 Cherokees.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:47 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2019 GC Overland with the hemi, and my 2022 Ram 1500 with the hemi all clunk when re-engaging the transfer case. The shifting procedure is the same for both vehicles. I'm pretty sure this is just a characteristic for these brands of vehicles...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:57 AM   #10

same clunk on our 21 Grand Cherokee every time I re-engage the transfer case. No big deal....
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #11
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
same clunk on our 21 Grand Cherokee every time I re-engage the transfer case. No big deal....
2X but mine is a 2018
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
I have a 2022 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that I took delivery in July 2022. I’m leaving on a trip this weekend, so I did a couple of dry run setups disengaging (neutral for towing) and engaging the transfer case (for driving).

I understand the full set up process for flat towing and successfully disengaged and then engaged the transfer case. Disengaging the transfer case is a quiet process, however the engaging the transfer case is not. When I engage there is a loud clunk.

Nothing in the manual about noise, so I went to the dealer. The service guy listened to noise and said it was normal as it is a result of the transfer case gears engaging. However, his voice and body language did not inspire my confidence in his answer. He also told me that if damage occurs as a result, it’s under warranty.

Is this normal?
Boy OH Boy I got the answer for this my 2021 Jeep G/C when started has a high RPM till warm just wait till the RPM's go from 1500 to 500 then engage the transfer case nice and quite TRY IT
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get the same thing on my 2011 Colorado. It's worked for 11 years with no apparent problems.

Glenn

Tags
tow