Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #1

Coiled Cable Extension

Has anyone used one of these? It looks like my electrical cable is stretched to the limit since I have a hitch adapter, the ready brake and the blue ox tow bar. I looked at buying a longer cable but it appears the don’t make them in different sizes. Extension may be the way to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8796.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	365553
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Have you considered making your own? I prefer straight cords and safety cables over the pigtail types. So I made my own using two plug ends and a length of electrical cable. Kind of a easy job as my jobs usually go.

Good luck with your choice.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! That's a really high-priced cable!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #4

How long a cord do you need?

I too would prefer one cord without having to use an extension using two cords.

From my notes, Roadmaster's standard cord is about 1.5 feet longer than Blue Ox's standard cord. I believe that Blue Ox stretches to just shy of 7' and Roadmaster's will stretch to about 8.5' or so. Again, this is according to the notes I took some years ago.

Therefore, instead of paying that much for an extension, I'd rather just buy the Roadmaster cord if it's just a foot or so more you'd need. 8 1/2 feet is really quite a long distance so check to see if you really need it longer than that.

I remember "kind of" making my own cord once but bought the standard already coiled pre-cut cord from Roadmaster and just wired the connection plugs at the end. I did look for bulk coiled cord but it was difficult to find coiled cord that met the qualifications and almost impossible if wanting the ends to have straight tails ...lots of options, though, for straight non-coled bulk cord as bigd9 has mentioned. So if you want a straight cord, you can make it as long as you'd like.

Obviously, you can also purchase the Roadmaster Flexo-Coil with the plugs attached.

But here's the cord alone without the connector plugs -- RM 1046-R, 6-wire Flexo-Coil without plugs @ etrailer
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #5

If you want a really long coiled 6 pin to 6 pin here is one I bought off amazon, and on top of everything else it is insanely cheap. In fact I actually bought a second as a spare, I don't know if this is an amazon pricing mistake (my guess is yes at under $10), it is also very heavy duty, like you would expect commercial trucks to use, but is 6 pin round to 6 pin round (my motorhome has a 6 pin, not the more common 7 blade connector at the back bumper) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HNVTHB/

p.s. I bought one of these is 2020, and another in 2021
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:24 AM   #6

^ that's a nice find and most likely just what the OP is looking for.

eta: hmm, yeah, that price is too-good-to-be-true. Here's the same Midland model number (39754) from a vendor through Walmart and it's priced at $55.10 which is still a very good price --one of the connectors may have to be replaced, though:

Midland Industries 39754 12 ft. 14 Gauge 6-Way Coiled Electric Cable Assembly with 12 in. Lead

And here's a 12' one from Velvac for $75.45 that looks to be similar if not the same ...go HERE
Old 05-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
How long a cord do you need?

I too would prefer one cord without having to use an extension using two cords.

From my notes, Roadmaster's standard cord is about 1.5 feet longer than Blue Ox's standard cord. I believe that Blue Ox stretches to just shy of 7' and Roadmaster's will stretch to about 8.5' or so. Again, this is according to the notes I took some years ago.

Therefore, instead of paying that much for an extension, I'd rather just buy the Roadmaster cord if it's just a foot or so more you'd need. 8 1/2 feet is really quite a long distance so check to see if you really need it longer than that.

I remember "kind of" making my own cord once but bought the standard already coiled pre-cut cord from Roadmaster and just wired the connection plugs at the end. I did look for bulk coiled cord but it was difficult to find coiled cord that met the qualifications and almost impossible if wanting the ends to have straight tails ...lots of options, though, for straight non-coled bulk cord as bigd9 has mentioned. So if you want a straight cord, you can make it as long as you'd like.

Obviously, you can also purchase the Roadmaster Flexo-Coil with the plugs attached.

But here's the cord alone without the connector plugs -- RM 1046-R, 6-wire Flexo-Coil without plugs @ etrailer
I think the 8.5 foot will even be a little too tight. I'd have to hook back up and get a measurement but I'd say it's at 8 or 9 feet. Even if it's 8.5 feet and I only need 8, it'll be under a lot of tension with the coil and could come out if the plastic cover holding it breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you want a really long coiled 6 pin to 6 pin here is one I bought off amazon, and on top of everything else it is insanely cheap. In fact I actually bought a second as a spare, I don't know if this is an amazon pricing mistake (my guess is yes at under $10), it is also very heavy duty, like you would expect commercial trucks to use, but is 6 pin round to 6 pin round (my motorhome has a 6 pin, not the more common 7 blade connector at the back bumper) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HNVTHB/

p.s. I bought one of these is 2020, and another in 2021
This is what I'm looking for. I think my Ford chassis has the 7 pin but I can chop one of these 6 pins off and put it 7 on one end. Thanks for showing me. Prime has it being delivered tomorrow morning.

Andrew
Old 05-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #8

Please report back if you did in fact get a 12-foot cable for $9.97 (or whatever it showed the price being ...$9 and some change) as it 's now showing "Currently unavailable"

What a fantastic deal you received if it comes as described!!
Old 05-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #9

I have bought 2 of them at around that price, one in 2019 and one in 2021 off Amazon and they were indeed 12 ft coiled (I assume I barley have to uncoil the ends to get them to reach on my TOAD) 6 pin to 6 pin cables
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Please report back if you did in fact get a 12-foot cable for $9.97 (or whatever it showed the price being ...$9 and some change) as it 's now showing "Currently unavailable"

What a fantastic deal you received if it comes as described!!

Received as described. Appears to be good quality at a deal. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8809.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	366108
Old 05-20-2022, 11:08 PM   #11

Excellent!

Tags
cable, led