Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #141

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post

1. Set the parking brake, apply the brake pedal, and ensure the transmission is in P (Park).
2. Connect the battery and wait for all self-checks to complete and dash functions to light.
3. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine OFF.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Turn the transfer case knob to 2WD. After the transfer case has shifted out of N (Neutral), the N (Neutral) light will go out.
6. Release the parking brake and start the engine, selecting the desired gear.
This is exactly the steps I use and I have had zero issues.
I've towed approx 2k miles so far.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #142

Wow, great job guys, thanks again! Re: TREC fuse, I think its F25 in underhood fuse block.

Carl
Cloud 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #143

Durango382,

Thanks much for the detailed answer. I believe I'll print off your post and keep it in the MH in the event I have any issues. Not being able to get the T case out of N would not be a good thing.

MAJFRIZZ,

Very interesting that you got a supplement/amendment on your truck. Mine was built after yours (Jan 10 build date) and I got nothing beyond the manual.

So far, the only "error" message I've gotten after disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery is a DIC message that says I need to roll down the driver's window, then roll it up again. I've gotten that message every time I disconnect the battery and after following the DIC instruction all has been well.......so far.

Thanks again guys for all the good info.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #144

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did mine for the first time today, and the message for the window was the same for me. I wonder if they changed the manual. I have not had the time to see what the differences really are.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Durango382,
. Not being able to get the T case out of N would not be a good thing.

Very interesting that you got a supplement/amendment on your truck. Mine was built after yours (Jan 10 build date) and I got nothing beyond the manual.
MOONSHINE94 - Yes, trust me, not being able to get it out of neutral is unnerving at the least. Because it happened to me more than once, you can bet I'm a bit gunshy now. When I go somewhere to unhook the truck, I think to myself I might not be able to move it under it's own power, so I park accordingly (where I can push the thing out of the way). Hopefully with time that paranoia goes away!

Mine which was built in late 2014 had the supplement in the manual - is it possible they changed the manual at some point and some (like yours) have the changed verbiage in it without needing a supplemental page? I'd scan and post the original and the supplement to show all, but that sort of work is beyond my pay grade!
Your dealer should know - or be able to find out - something in regards to this...I'd ask him.
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #146

Window message

Yup, we got the same message after disconnecting. Otherwise we had no issues

Carl
Old 05-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #147

I am also trying to purchase the Colorado. Wonderful dealer, but they are very confused on the 4-down issue. Question? Is it a manual 4 wheel drive I need or a automatic 4 wheel drive and does the Colorado come in the one I need for 2015. I don't much care which, but want to make sure I order the right one.

Dave
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #148

Transfer case

I believe others here on the forum will give you more precise info, very helpful folks here. I have a Colorado, 2speed transfer case, 4cyl. i was told at the time the GMC Canyons had a different transfer case with an Auto setting, supposedly sshifts in and out of 4hi depending on road conditions. I do think it has a neutral setting tho.

Carl
Old 05-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
I am also trying to purchase the Colorado. Wonderful dealer, but they are very confused on the 4-down issue. Question? Is it a manual 4 wheel drive I need or a automatic 4 wheel drive and does the Colorado come in the one I need for 2015. I don't much care which, but want to make sure I order the right one.

Dave
The two wheel drive Canyons/Colorados cannot be towed 4 down. The 4 wheel drive Colorado comes with an electronically shifted two speed transfer case (2WD, 4 Hi, 4Lo, N) with a Neutral position. The 4 wheel drive Canyons come with an electronically shifted two speed transfer case with a Neutral position and an Auto setting. I guess that's the long way of saying that as long as you get 4 wheel drive either the Canyon or Colorado can be flat towed. If you're looking at a Chevy dealer (Colorado's) then as long as you get 4WD you're good, as there is no choice of 4WD systems on that truck.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #150

Moonshine, thanks for the clarification. I will take that to the dealer. However, I did not understand your last sentence.

Dave
Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #151

I re read your last sentence and now I get it. Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #152

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, finally had a chance to pull the Canyon on a long trip. Slow internet service here will post photos later. But here is a question. Pulled it 300 miles yesterday, stayed in a pull thru overnight. then pulled it another 300 plus today. overnight stop I did not turn the key back on. today when I did, it is taking a long time for all electronics to be restored. after 2 hours, still no radio or display at all. all the other electronics came back on gradually. no rear camera yet either. I will see what happens the morning. In previous cars all I had to do was pull the fuse and never had an issue, never had a need for a battery disconnect. Next time I will reconnect at overnight stop. anyone else experience this for a long trip yet. otherwise it towed great.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
Well, finally had a chance to pull the Canyon on a long trip. Slow internet service here will post photos later. But here is a question. Pulled it 300 miles yesterday, stayed in a pull thru overnight. then pulled it another 300 plus today. overnight stop I did not turn the key back on. today when I did, it is taking a long time for all electronics to be restored. after 2 hours, still no radio or display at all. all the other electronics came back on gradually. no rear camera yet either. I will see what happens the morning. In previous cars all I had to do was pull the fuse and never had an issue, never had a need for a battery disconnect. Next time I will reconnect at overnight stop. anyone else experience this for a long trip yet. otherwise it towed great.
I've towed my Canyon for as far, and as long (without power) and all the systems came up within a couple minutes or less when I reconnected battery. Odd. Might try disconnecting and reconnecting battery if that happens again to see if systems will power up quicker.
Altho it's not related, my radio just started acting odd - if I mute it when driving, when I shut off ignition the radio comes on by itself and remains on until I open door. Can't figure out why turning ignition off would take radio off mute - but these things (NEW Canyons - & Colorados too?) seem to have a mind of their own.
I'm off on a trip towing it soon, but now I'm worried again (considering the troubles I've had, and the troubles I've read about) - will it come out of neutral when I need it to? Think I'll do a couple dry runs at home first, just in case...
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:55 AM   #154

This is a little nerve racking to say the least. My Canyon goes into production next week. After 2.5 years of Saturn towing without any issues, I'm starting to second guess myself if this was the right move. Hopefully you guys will be able to assess the issues and there will be solutions. Years ago a mechanic used some type of 9volt device inserted into my cigarette lighter when he replaced my battery. He told me this would allow all the presets on radio to remain. I wonder if that would work today, holding all radio functionality, etc. thanks again for keeping this thread going. I have learned a lot by following this.

Tags
colorado