RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #351
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post


Is this what the drive selector button should look like to be able to tow four down or does it have a "N" position listed?
Although it doesn't show a neutral position, holding it to the right for a few seconds will light up the letter N showing it is in neutral.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #352
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 308
I finally gave up on the Colorado. The poor shifting characteristics were driving me crazy. Yes, I could have fixed that with an aftermarket tune, but that would not have addressed the terrible seat discomfort, so I finally admitted to myself that I hated driving my essentially brand new truck. Although I normally keep a truck for 8-10 years and 200k miles I decided to unload the Colorado. I just took delivery of a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4. I'll have to wait until Blue Ox comes out with a baseplate for it (should be a carryover from the 2016), and install a Remco driveshaft disconnect. Then I'll have to figure out how to unlock the steering wheel lock with a pushbutton start and wire the taillights. In the meantime, I can drive the new truck for more than 30 minutes without my right leg going numb, and the transmission programming (although far from perfect) is considerably better that the Colorado was. Best of luck to those of you staying with the twins. I am NOT trying to bash the GM twins. It's a great idea, but the execution just didn't work for me.
__________________
2013 Thor A.C.E. 29.2
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 toad
Moonshine94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #353
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 565
Different Strokes for different folks. I love my Colorado. Good luck with your Tacoma.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #354
Senior Member
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
When I was looking back when they were first arriving at the dealers they had two versions of 4wd. One had selections of 2wd, 4H, 4L, with the ability to select neutral. The other was more like an AWD version were you could select 2wd or 4wd. In 4wd it would transfer power to the front axle as needed. With the automatic version you could just leave it in 4wd all the time if desired and not have "binding" between the front and rear axles when turning as the transfer case has a differential. The automatic version has no neutral position as so is not 4 down towable.
Uh, no. The Canyon only has a full-time AWD option on the t-case. Must have been what you saw. Still has neutral, although it can be a little more fussy about the order you set it up for towing. Would not sway me to either version - choose on features and whatever else blows your doors off.

Mine is a X-cab I4 to save weight and cost - LT trim was about 32K and change MSRP. Even as rare as hens teeth in Jan of '15, still got just about an invoice-deal on it. Gotta love the fleet guys at a big chevy dealer.

With Zone leveling lift (1.25" in front) otherwise pretty stock. Still heavy for a gas-coach but do-able nonetheless.

Just love this little pickup. GM pulled the best and brightest off the Silveraldo/Sierra platform to design it so it got all the latest and greatest the general had on tap. It's quiet and smooth like a car, very comfortable.

Two years coming up and about 20K miles, still just love it - best truck I've ever owned.

__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #355
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 16,578
I'm not happy about the seat on my Canyon because it only has four power, which means the seat goes up and down and front to rear, but you can't change the angle of the seat bottom (back or front higher). I'm guessing this is what the poster above was dissatisfied with. It is hard on the thighs. What they did do, was make the back of the seat bottom lift up as the seat goes forward. This works well for shorter people, but people with longer legs are forced to have the seat farther back, which lowers the rear of the seat bottom and puts pressure on your thighs.

There is a Colorado/Canyon forum where a relatively simple fix was made. You remove the seat, flip it over and release the seat cover from the frame. The seat cover is just clipped on with a long plastic clip in the front. You take a piece of particle board, about 9" x 12" x 1/2" thick and slip it under the seat cushion, all the way to the back of the seat. You can't feel the piece of wood, but it lifts the rear of the seat enough to make it more comfortable.
__________________
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (Freightliner)
2019 Ford Raptor
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #356
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

There is a Colorado/Canyon forum where a relatively simple fix was made. You remove the seat, flip it over and release the seat cover from the frame. The seat cover is just clipped on with a long plastic clip in the front. You take a piece of particle board, about 9" x 12" x 1/2" thick and slip it under the seat cushion, all the way to the back of the seat. You can't feel the piece of wood, but it lifts the rear of the seat enough to make it more comfortable.
I do have long legs and I tried this fix. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. As Dan-Nicke said, different strokes. The Colorado is a great design, but it just didn't work for me. I hated to get rid of it, but I just couldn't stay in a truck that made me miserably uncomfortable every time I dove it. The Tacoma doesn't have a power seat at all, nor any manual seat cushion angle adjustment, but it happens to work for me.
__________________
2013 Thor A.C.E. 29.2
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 toad
Moonshine94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #357
Senior Member
 
TomandGloria's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chester, VA/Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 1,186
My 2015 Canyon SLT has the ability to raise and lower seat bottom angle. It does not change the front part of the seat though. I also have the same set up shown in the picture by dan-nickie, not an AWD, but selectable between 2,4L, 4H. Traded my 2007 Tacoma TRD Access Cab on this truck. Loved my Tacoma, but this truck rides better, is more comfortable on long trips and actually gets better gas mileage as a crew cab short bed.

I agree with Chris, its heavy for a gasser, but we've towed this to Mt. Airy, NC and on to Florida two years in a row without any issues since the first time I towed it and had software update completed.
__________________
Tom and Gloria 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and M&G Braking System
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #358
Moderator Emeritus
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 12,703
I went over to a dealer and drove a Colorado. I'm a little surprised by the old school feel to the truck and weird way you have to option it to get heated mirrors and the absence of a universal garage remote.

We also stopped by the Ford dealer and drove an F150 and liked it a whole lot better. There's about a 350 lb difference between an extended cab Colorado 4X4 with 6' bed and a super cab F150 4X4 with 6' bed. The EPA mileage for a six cylinder Colorado is 20 combined and the F150 with a V8 is 17.

The Ford dealer is selling 2016 4X4s that list for $48K for $34.5K and the Chevy dealer is fighting me for a $3000 discount off of a 2016 $39K Colorado. I don't want a 2017 Colorado because they added Active Fuel Management to the V6 and went to an 8 speed auto. I've had problems with both in other GM products.

We're back to evaluation what we want to tow.
__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #359
Senior Member
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I went over to a dealer and drove a Colorado. I'm a little surprised by the old school feel to the truck and weird way you have to option it to get heated mirrors and the absence of a universal garage remote.

We also stopped by the Ford dealer and drove an F150 and liked it a whole lot better. There's about a 350 lb difference between an extended cab Colorado 4X4 with 6' bed and a super cab F150 4X4 with 6' bed. The EPA mileage for a six cylinder Colorado is 20 combined and the F150 with a V8 is 17.

The Ford dealer is selling 2016 4X4s that list for $48K for $34.5K and the Chevy dealer is fighting me for a $3000 discount off of a 2016 $39K Colorado. I don't want a 2017 Colorado because they added Active Fuel Management to the V6 and went to an 8 speed auto. I've had problems with both in other GM products.

We're back to evaluation what we want to tow.
Garage opener config would sway you on a vehicle?

You can't flat-tow a ford. And the weight is likely a lot more all said and done. Better look close. No one is buying them for fuel economy - there are lots of better vehicles if you want to save gas. My I4 averages about 17 the way I drive it. It's only a few miles better than the C2500 Duramax we had.

The new Ford is a great truck, very popular. They were REALLY pissed when Chev got TOTY at MT. Twice - once for gas and once for diesel. I would still like to drive a oil-burner one just to see. Probly the only way I'd trade mine off. But $3800 just for that option?

There is some 350lbs difference between the low and high end of Colorado configurations as well. I stayed at the low end of the spread, figure it's just a hair over 4000.

Maybe we'll get a DP one of these days. Wife says if we're gonna retire and FT it we'll need a slightly bigger unit.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #360
Moderator Emeritus
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 12,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Garage opener config would sway you on a vehicle?

You can't flat-tow a ford. And the weight is likely a lot more all said and done. Better look close. No one is buying them for fuel economy - there are lots of better vehicles if you want to save gas. My I4 averages about 17 the way I drive it. It's only a few miles better than the C2500 Duramax we had.

The new Ford is a great truck, very popular. They were REALLY pissed when Chev got TOTY at MT. Twice - once for gas and once for diesel. I would still like to drive a oil-burner one just to see. Probly the only way I'd trade mine off. But $3800 just for that option?

There is some 350lbs difference between the low and high end of Colorado configurations as well. I stayed at the low end of the spread, figure it's just a hair over 4000.

Maybe we'll get a DP one of these days. Wife says if we're gonna retire and FT it we'll need a slightly bigger unit.
Yes, you can flat tow the Ford. I checked out Ford's recreational towing guide and the owners manual. Then I tried out the process on an actual F150. It's actually pretty easy to configure it for towing.

Fuel economy isn't my goal. I only mention the mileage a larger Ford truck with a V8 achieves compared to a smaller Chevy with a V6 for comparison. In trying to figure out how to get a flat towable toad, we decided to replace the truck we bought to tow a large 5th wheel--a one ton Dodge Ram dual wheel truck with Cummins diesel. A four banger is not an option for me, I test drove one and didn't like it. I still need the truck to work and pull a medium size load, just not a 5th wheel.

Would a garage door opener sway me one way or another? Not by itself, but lack of an integrated door opener, heated mirrors and a few other features would certainly dissuade me from buying a particular model.
__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #361
Senior Member
 
Vato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 251
[QUOTE=Moonshine94;3356541]I finally gave up on the Colorado.

Sorry to hear that Moonshine.. Best wishes and Happy Travels!
__________________
Every Day Is SATURDAY 2008 Fleetwood Terra 33L
SCT 5Star Tune, Safety-Plus, Rear Trac Bar, Koni, Banks Stinger, Sumos
2016 GMC Canyon Duramax Toad
Vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #362
Senior Member
 
CJBROWN's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Yes, you can flat tow the Ford. I checked out Ford's recreational towing guide and the owners manual. Then I tried out the process on an actual F150. It's actually pretty easy to configure it for towing.

Fuel economy isn't my goal. I only mention the mileage a larger Ford truck with a V8 achieves compared to a smaller Chevy with a V6 for comparison. In trying to figure out how to get a flat towable toad, we decided to replace the truck we bought to tow a large 5th wheel--a one ton Dodge Ram dual wheel truck with Cummins diesel. A four banger is not an option for me, I test drove one and didn't like it. I still need the truck to work and pull a medium size load, just not a 5th wheel.

Would a garage door opener sway me one way or another? Not by itself, but lack of an integrated door opener, heated mirrors and a few other features would certainly dissuade me from buying a particular model.
You should be fine with a DP - pretty much anything will work.

If I was not trying to keep weight down I would have gone full-size. There's just not enough cost savings in purchase or running/driving. It would be a Silverado though. Parking is definitely easier with the smaller truck though, and ingress/egress as well.
__________________
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
colorado



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.