Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Colorado/Canyon

I am thinking about buying a new Colorado to tow. Chatted with Chevrolet on line yesterday but they couldnt tell me yes or no. Does anyone have this information. I am looking at the z71 crew long box 4x4. The z71 has a couple of things that make me wonder about towability. (hill descent control)
geezee1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

To my knowledge, flat towing will have less to do about bells and whistles, and more about a transfer case with a neutral in it. With that, you should be good to go.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Generally, GM 4x4s are towable as is, but there are some exceptions.

GM owners manuals are excellent for towing information and that would be the place to look.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

The owner's manuals are online for the 2015 GMC Canyon. I assume they Chevy Colorado manual is out there too.

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/g...yon-manual.pdf

The dinghy RV towing info starts on page 10-78. It states "Only dinghy tow four-wheel-drive
vehicles with a two-speed transfer case that have an N (Neutral) and a Four-Wheel Drive Low (4 (
n) setting."
It doesn't talk about whether there is a transfer case that doesn't have a neutral option. It does go on to tell you how to put the transfer case in neutral. The switch is a small round knob on the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel. Maybe if you call GMC/Chevy they can tell you if there is more than one transfer case. The manual also says that you must disconnect the ground cable from the battery. Doesn't say why.
Good luck.

jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone.....looks like I'm good to go!👀
Old 10-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezee1957 View Post
Thanks everyone.....looks like I'm good to go!��
So how did it go? Did you purchase the new Colorado? Have you installed a baseplate yet? I am wondering if the major tow bar companies have baseplates for it yet?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I did order the Colorado. Decided on the LT to get the luxury package, it has full leather seats vs the Z71 which is part leather. Should be here by the end of November.

I also contacted Blue Ox. They do not yet have a baseplate, but made a generous offer of a free plate and tow bar, if I would bring it to them to use as a prototype. Unfortunately mine is on order so they will probably find one sooner to use for a pattern. They said they will contact me when base plates are available, or when I get mine I will take it to them.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. That would be a great offer if your Colorado comes in before someone takes the offer.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
any update on your Colorado. I am getting ready to order the Canyon, waiting for the sliding rear window to become available this month then will order. Talked to Blue Ox as of last week they still do not have a volunteer. I know GM delivery dates are really strange right now. I been reading some of the strange order problems on their forum.

Bob
Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #10

Hopefully you bought your Colorado from a different dealer. If they are so dim they can't read the Owners Manual on one of their vehicles I wouldn't want to do business with them.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Colorado

Still waiting. I checked with the dealer a couple weeks ago. Mine was in preproduction scheduling at that time. I will check again in a week or so. Maybe it will be a 2016 model 😳
Old 11-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
have you been on the Colorado/canyon forum. Colorado/Canyon Purchasing and Ordering - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

You can see some of the issues that people have been having on orders. some come in 4-6 weeks, others are now being told almost 12 weeks. I was just told they delayed the sliding rear window till at least Jan 2015. I just did a search within 250 miles and found about 10 Canyons that fit my options I am looking for. now to try and bargain with the dealer.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

Has anyone checked actual weights for this truck, specifically the long bed version with the larger crew cab?

Thanks
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Has anyone checked actual weights for this truck, specifically the long bed version with the larger crew cab?

Thanks
Found this yesterday on the GMC website: Canyon crew cab with long bed: curb weight 4266 lbs. I assume it would be the same or pretty close for the Chevy version.

I think the info was in the back of the online brochure, but not sure. I searched several places on the website before I found what I was looking for.

Tags
colorado