Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Convertible Flat Tow, late model convertibles???

For our first Flat Tow we'd like a fun convertible, preferably not a JEEP. Anyone who can offer advice on 2020 and 2021 model year convertibles, we would greatly appreciate it. Possibly a mini cooper or a beetle or a murano...just don't know the best way to find them. Thank you all in advance.
A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

The motorhome magazine dinghy towing guides are a great place to start. It will break down which vehicles can be successfully towed, year by year. Good luck!

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Old 11-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #3

About the only thing your going to find new is a Mazda Miata for 2020.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
About the only thing your going to find new is a Mazda Miata for 2020.
I'm looking at the 2020 Miata owner's manual online and it says this car cannot be flat towed. As a matter of fact, I don't see ANY convertibles on the list any more.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

TimmyB
That's what has me worried. Convertibles would be awesome Toads but, I don't see any in any Guides. A.L.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. L. View Post
TimmyB
That's what has me worried. Convertibles would be awesome Toads but, I don't see any in any Guides. A.L.
Tell me about it. Our second car is an SLK 320 that we have to get to Florida and back each year! No real good solution other than have it shipped.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. L. View Post
TimmyB
Are you thinking about weight? I suspect they probably have unibody modifications that make up for the lack of a metal roof. They might even weigh more--just a guess--I haven't specked any out.

I like that Goodsam list provided above. If it were me I'd look at the Nissan Versa--cheap and light--the two factors I would focus on. Also the special procedures are negligible. You could put the money saved into a dolly and reduce those special procedures further and eliminate the need to worry about brake systems.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #8

I can't imagine the Miata couldn't be flat towed, so long as you buy a manual transmission model. Don't try with an automatic! As a long-time Miata enthusiast and hardcore wrencher in my spare time, there's nothing unique or exemplary about the rear differential in these. It's a standard ring and pinion configuration with no specific mechanical oiling requirements other than the "splash" it would get from being powered by the output shaft under traditional driving.

Someone mentioned weight: the current generation Miata in manual transmission trim is approximately 2300lbs wet, which makes it great for towing.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #9

We flat-tow a Mini Roadster (2013) but they stopped making them. Mini doesn't specifically specify that you can flat tow, but we have done it for 30K+ miles. It must be a manual transmission. Maybe a Convertible S Mini but not sure about towing the 2020/21 models? I say an S because I've had 2 "justa" (non-S cooper) and one S. The fun factor from the S is worth the price of admission.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I'm looking at the 2020 Miata owner's manual online and it says this car cannot be flat towed.
Any year MANUAL TRANSMISSION ONLY Miata can be flat towed.

HERE is a friend flat towing his 2019 Retractable Hardtop.

Personally, over the past 15 years, I have flat towed 3 different Miatas over 80,000 miles. I currently flat tow a 2012 retractable hardtop.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

As stated above Mazda like Toyota does not approve of any of it's vehicles being flat towed behind a motorhome. That does not mean that some models with manual transmissions are not towable. It just means that doing so will void the powertrain warranty on the vehicle.

Even though Mini still lists a convertible they are virtually unavailable due to low production numbers and dealers routinely charge double list price if they can get one.

The VW beetle convertible went out of production in 2019 and late models were never able to be flat towed since, I believe, they were only optioned with a automatic transmission.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We haul our Mustang convertible on a 4 wheel trailer. It was either that or install a driveshaft disconnect. As it turned out, we carry some extra stuff (chairs, bicycle, etc.) on the trailer that wouldn't have fit anywhere else...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #13

Sorry I’m so late responding, Posters have said Miata Owners Manyal says “No” to flat towing but you’ve done it over 80K Mikes with three different ones! Very impressive (exciting)! What is the secret sauce??

This is directed to HEALEYMAM. The man who knows how to hit er done with flat-towing Miata Convertibles
Old 01-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #14

We trailered ours for years, but we prefer to tow on a trailer because of the versatility, easy to back up, parallel park etc. Not for everybody I suppose but it is our preferred method. We are now mostly toadless but we do less touring now. Trailering also allows towing an EV which our last toad was...and a convertible. Convertibles are a blast.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow