Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Redridge ... your posts are very helpful. I am now liking the Currie base plate better than the Blue Ox I was planning to get. Was wondering where you hook the safety chains/cables to the base plate. I did not see anything in the pictures. The Blue Ox does have tabs for them to hook to.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Redridge ... your posts are very helpful. I am now liking the Currie base plate better than the Blue Ox I was planning to get. Was wondering where you hook the safety chains/cables to the base plate. I did not see anything in the pictures. The Blue Ox does have tabs for them to hook to.

Steve
I agree, that is a pretty impressive setup. I also like the winch and I am interested on how it is mounted.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post

Steve
the e-cable hooks just insides of the tow bar attachments... also, see the electrical cable that is plugged in the Jeep grill area...

compared to the OEM plastic... you can see the e-cable mounting holes in this pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I agree, that is a pretty impressive setup. I also like the winch and I am interested on how it is mounted.
I got the parts here... you have to remove the bumper to get the winch plate in. If you are gonna do a full tow bar install (i use Readybrute Elite), Mopar tow harness, break away cable etc... this is a good time to do it in one shot.

baseplate is another PIA to install... but again, worth the effort.
Currie Enterprises CE-9033JK - Currie Enterprises Tow Bar Mounting Plate for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

install instructions...
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/94787.pdf

winch mount, universal mount to any winch of you choice...
Rock Hard 4X4 RH5010 - Rock Hard 4x4 Winch Mounting Plate for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Factory Plastic Front Bumper - Quadratec

fairlead...etc
Smittybilt 2809 - Smittybilt Standard Aluminum Hawse Fairlead - Quadratec
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cooltech- great explanation. I installed your harness last year with no issue but was curious what happened when our ready brake applies pressure to the jeep pedal and the effect on turn signal from the MH. Thanks for participating in the discussion and clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
osok, good to hear and thanks for posting the follow-up. I think there's some misunderstandings here regarding the operation of the light harnesses when it comes to the operation of the brakes and turn signals. I want to try to clarify this for everyone. It is important for everyone to know that the Jeep uses the same filament within the same bulb for both brake and turn signal indication. (The lower watt filament is used for the Jeep's running lights.) So, when you are happily driving your Jeep along and you turn on your left turn signal, the left light begins to blink. As you approach the corner, you apply the brake pedal. What happens? The right-side bulb (filament) gets illuminated constantly but the left-side bulb (filament) continues to blink. Similalrly, the right blinker could be on and if the brakes are applied, ONLY the left-side light would be a continuous bright, and the right-side would blink. How does this happen? The Jeep's on-board electronics are controlling this. The electronics KNOW when both a turn signal is on and a brake light - and the electronice trigger the correct behavior. Now let's look at your tow vehicle. Your tow vehicle is likely all set-up to tow a trailer. This can be a boat trailer, a horse trailer, a car trailer, a utility trailer, etc - as ALL of these trailers behave the same way.... just like the Jeep. There's only 4-wires to deal with the lighting functions of a trailer (ALL of the trailers above work this way). The 4 wires are; Left, Right, Running lamps, and Ground. The running lights trigger the dim filament in the bulb. The dim filament gets 12v when it is on and no voltage when it is off. The Left and Right wires get 12v when that light is supposed to be bright (the higher wattage filament in the bulb). Your tow vehicle, just like the Jeep, uses in-board electronics to MANAGE the inherent conflict when both the brake and turn signal are on simultaneously. Specifically, the side of the turn signal gets a pulsed (blinking) 12v signal, and the other side gets a continuous 12v signal. I hope all of this makes sense.... it's the way that virtually all trailers behave. HOWEVER, there is an issue that can arrise when towing a Jeep!! Here's the scenario: You are towing your Jeep and you turn on your left turn signal (for example). The tow vehicle begins to send a "blinking" 12v signal to the left light of the Jeep..... and it blinks. Perfect. Now you approach the corner and you step on the brake of the tow vehicle. No problem. Your tow vehicle sees that the brake is on and the left turn signal is on. The tow vehicle properly continues to send a "blinking" 12v signal to the left light and a continuous 12v signal to the right light. Still perfect. Everything is as it should be. BUT.... you have installed an auxillary braking device in your Jeep AND you have left the Jeep's battery connected. The aux braking device (pushes or pulls) the Jeep's brake pedal down. The Jeep - fully unaware that a turn signal is on (after all, ITS turn signal is NOT on) sends a continuous 12v signal to BOTH rear lights. What is the effect? The left side light sees a CONTINUOUS 12v signal from the Jeep and the 12v blinking from the tow vehicle in inconsequential. In otehr words, nothing bad happens.... but the turn signal will no longer be blinking. The "issue" is that Jeep electronics are not on (Jeep key is off) and even if on, the Jeep doesn't know that a turn signal is on in the tow vehicle. The "issue" has NOTHING to do with the Cool Tech harness or any other wiring harness that you may elect to use. Further, it is NOT an issue that can be resolved with diodes (both the tow vehicle and the Jeep need a clear electrical path to the bulb.) It is an issue of concurrency - something BOTH the Jeep and the tow vehicle know how to do by themselves - but when one of them says "do this" and the other one says "do that"..... conflict occurs.
lakeboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone know the MOPAR part number for the cable for a 98 Jeep TJ?
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #34
Commercial Member

I know you are looking for a MOPAR part number, but as an alternative we also have a kit for the TJ models which is composed of separate bulbs and sockets...

Cool Tech LLC. TJ Tow Harness Kit
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #35

Cooltech JKU Back Feed

Cooltech - I have been using the cooltech harness for a few years now on my 2007 JKU and have never been able to figure out a back feed issue I am having. I have triple checked all connections inside plugs and out, ensured pattern is correct/matches on tow vechile vs jeep, etc. All lights function properly on jeep including running lights. The issue is the jeep is get back feed 12v power from tow vehicle. Wipers will move, diodes will click, etc. Problem seems more constant when running lights are on so I even tried reversing running light and ground connection which results in a blown fuse on MH. Only fix I have found is to remove iod fuse and all diodes. Have you seen or heard of this problem from anyone else, if so any ideas on a fix (besides double check connections as I have been through this many many times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
psw757 -

That is definitely a weird circumstance but I don't see how it can be the toad harness. With the running lights on, the MH powers all of the lights - and yes, for sure the "load" of the Toad bulbs (rear and side marker) is placed on that circuit. However, that is 1 circuit in the MH and not loaded independently to the license plate lights (at least that would be extremely unususal). Further, with the toad (Cool Tech) harness it is appearing just like any other trailer to the MH. Both of your motorhomes undoubtedly have fuses in place to protect in case of too much current draw (any current draw that was enough to melt wires should be well above the threshold to blow a fuse). Long story short, I don't see a suspect bad toad ground as being a candidate culprit. If anything it would seem that a poor/bad ground is going to cause intermittant light failures - but not a situation where too much current is occuring.
GoBigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #36

[QUOTE=CoolTech;1882665]osok, good to hear and thanks for posting the follow-up. I think there's some misunderstandings here regarding the operation of the light harnesses when it comes to the operation of the brakes and turn signals. I want to try to clarify this for everyone.

It is important for everyone to know that the Jeep uses the same filament within the same bulb for both brake and turn signal indication. (The lower watt filament is used for the Jeep's running lights.) So, when you are happily driving your Jeep along and you turn on your left turn signal, the left light begins to blink. As you approach the corner, you apply the brake pedal. What happens? The right-side bulb (filament) gets illuminated constantly but the left-side bulb (filament) continues to blink. Similalrly, the right blinker could be on and if the brakes are applied, ONLY the left-side light would be a continuous bright, and the right-side would blink. How does this happen? The Jeep's on-board electronics are controlling this. The electronics KNOW when both a turn signal is on and a brake light - and the electronice trigger the correct behavior.

Now let's look at your tow vehicle. Your tow vehicle is likely all set-up to tow a trailer. This can be a boat trailer, a horse trailer, a car trailer, a utility trailer, etc - as ALL of these trailers behave the same way.... just like the Jeep. There's only 4-wires to deal with the lighting functions of a trailer (ALL of the trailers above work this way). The 4 wires are; Left, Right, Running lamps, and Ground. The running lights trigger the dim filament in the bulb. The dim filament gets 12v when it is on and no voltage when it is off. The Left and Right wires get 12v when that light is supposed to be bright (the higher wattage filament in the bulb). Your tow vehicle, just like the Jeep, uses in-board electronics to MANAGE the inherent conflict when both the brake and turn signal are on simultaneously. Specifically, the side of the turn signal gets a pulsed (blinking) 12v signal, and the other side gets a continuous 12v signal. I hope all of this makes sense.... it's the way that virtually all trailers behave.

HOWEVER, there is an issue that can arrise when towing a Jeep!! Here's the scenario: You are towing your Jeep and you turn on your left turn signal (for example). The tow vehicle begins to send a "blinking" 12v signal to the left light of the Jeep..... and it blinks. Perfect. Now you approach the corner and you step on the brake of the tow vehicle. No problem. Your tow vehicle sees that the brake is on and the left turn signal is on. The tow vehicle properly continues to send a "blinking" 12v signal to the left light and a continuous 12v signal to the right light. Still perfect. Everything is as it should be. BUT.... you have installed an auxillary braking device in your Jeep AND you have left the Jeep's battery connected. The aux braking device (pushes or pulls) the Jeep's brake pedal down. The Jeep - fully unaware that a turn signal is on (after all, ITS turn signal is NOT on) sends a continuous 12v signal to BOTH rear lights. What is the effect? The left side light sees a CONTINUOUS 12v signal from the Jeep and the 12v blinking from the tow vehicle in inconsequential. In otehr words, nothing bad happens.... but the turn signal will no longer be blinking.

The "issue" is that Jeep electronics are not on (Jeep key is off) and even if on, the Jeep doesn't know that a turn signal is on in the tow vehicle.

The "issue" has NOTHING to do with the Cool Tech harness or any other wiring harness that you may elect to use. Further, it is NOT an issue that can be resolved with diodes (both the tow vehicle and the Jeep need a clear electrical path to the bulb.) It is an issue of concurrency - something BOTH the Jeep and the tow vehicle know how to do by themselves - but when one of them says "do this" and the other one says "do that"..... conflict occurs.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #37

Thanks Cool Tech

Thanks for the info about the brake assist. I have been towing my 09 wrangler with the battery connected. I think that is why I keep blowing bulbs, I will be buying a disconnect. Thanks for the good info.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it wasn't mentioned before, all I do is remove the M1 fuse before I tow. That solves the problem with very little effort. This picture was posted by Cooltech some years ago. Thank cooltech for this great photo.
Cheers.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
If it wasn't mentioned before, all I do is remove the M1 fuse before I tow. That solves the problem with very little effort. This picture was posted by Cooltech some years ago. Thank cooltech for this great photo.
Cheers.

Me too.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a brake light relay kit from Roadmaster to solve the brake override. I need the battery to be on, or I would have run even more wires for the aux. brake. Install once and forget about it. One less step to do.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring