Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cooltech Wiring Harness for Jeep TOAD

I know that several of you have recommended the CoolTech wiring harness for lights on a Jeep toad. It looks like a good product, but I have a couple of questions. (Keep in mind that I don't know my diode from a hole in the ground. )

The product description says "plug and play." Basically plug into the Jeep, but then what? Where does it actually go? I assume additional wiring is required to get to the motorhome plug? How is that wiring routed on the Jeep?

Does the CoolTech include diodes (whatever those are, lol) and is it going to cause any problem with my existing wiring that would put my Jeep warranty in jeopardy? And finally...are there any special steps that are needed at hook up/unhook, such as pulling fuses, etc? I want to make things as SIMPLE as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Sarah, shoot them an email and ask for a copy of the install sheet and operators page. It should answer all your questions. I tried to post a link of their email, but did not work. Google Cool tech and their site will come up. Hope this helps you out.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Sarah, shoot them an email and ask for a copy of the install sheet and operators page. It should answer all your questions. I tried to post a link of their email, but did not work. Google Cool tech and their site will come up. Hope this helps you out.
Now see...why didn't I think of that??? Too easy. Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

No diodes required. Just plug it in at the left tail light assembly and run the harness along the left frame rail to the front of the Jeep. Attach a 4 pin connector of your choice to the harness.

Be aware that the 4 pin connector that they supply has larger pins than most, and that the suggested connection does not comply with the "most common" 4 pin assignment.

2012 Wranglers do NOT require a battery disconnect because the steering column does not lock. ( I don't care what the Jeep manual says. It's not up to date.)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
No diodes required. Just plug it in at the left tail light assembly and run the harness along the left frame rail to the front of the Jeep. Attach a 4 pin connector of your choice to the harness.

Be aware that the 4 pin connector that they supply has larger pins than most, and that the suggested connection does not comply with the "most common" 4 pin assignment.

2012 Wranglers do NOT require a battery disconnect because the steering column does not lock. ( I don't care what the Jeep manual says. It's not up to date.)
Thanks, Ernie. Is the 4-pin adapter they sell (upsell) required to fit with the "most common" pin assignment? I appreciate the info, since I am a total moron about automotive electrical stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but you can connect the wires in any order that you wish. You could also use their connectors, but you will have to have a compatable one on your MH as well.

That's fine as long as you don't tow anything else with a 4 pin round connector.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, thanks again!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

This is a nice product but they could certainly improve their customer service dept. I installed mine about 2-3 weeks ago and had an issue with my side marker lights on one side not working when connected and the blew a fuse for the tail light. I emailed multiple times and tried calling and left multiple messages with no response. I'm still not 100 percent certain that I have my issue resolved. I guess it is a trial and error kind of product? Or multiple guess with the wire mapping! Good luck!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
This is a nice product but they could certainly improve their customer service dept. I installed mine about 2-3 weeks ago and had an issue with my side marker lights on one side not working when connected and the blew a fuse for the tail light. I emailed multiple times and tried calling and left multiple messages with no response. I'm still not 100 percent certain that I have my issue resolved. I guess it is a trial and error kind of product? Or multiple guess with the wire mapping! Good luck!
Jeeze, sorry to hear about the poor response from their CS. Maybe I will rethink that purchase. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

psw757--What year is your Jeep?

Can anyone else chime in with any "gotchas" associated with the CoolTech harness? If anyone has installed it on a 2012 Wrangler, please post your experience. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
psw757--What year is your Jeep?

Can anyone else chime in with any "gotchas" associated with the CoolTech harness? If anyone has installed it on a 2012 Wrangler, please post your experience. Thanks!
Sarah,
Our wrangler is a 2007 unlimited rubicon. I don't think there are really any gotchas, it is a good product with a easy install. Where I hit a snag was installing a 6 pin plugnonnthe jeep instead of the 4 pin they supplied. The wire mapping on each conflicted. The only reason I installed a 6 pin was due to my umbilical from the rv being a 7 to 6 and not a 4. Also if you have a 6 it is easier to install a battery charge cable if you would like.

My only beef with them is the lack of support for their product.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Sarah,
Our wrangler is a 2007 unlimited rubicon. I don't think there are really any gotchas, it is a good product with a easy install. Where I hit a snag was installing a 6 pin plugnonnthe jeep instead of the 4 pin they supplied. The wire mapping on each conflicted. The only reason I installed a 6 pin was due to my umbilical from the rv being a 7 to 6 and not a 4. Also if you have a 6 it is easier to install a battery charge cable if you would like.

My only beef with them is the lack of support for their product.
OK, thanks! I see that they offer an umbilical cord as an upsell to the wiring harness. I'm not sure what our moho plug configuration is, either.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, thanks! I see that they offer an umbilical cord as an upsell to the wiring harness. I'm not sure what our moho plug configuration is, either.
If I had to guess your rv is probably a 7 Pin. Umbilical would need to be 7-4 unless you decide to put a 6 on the jeep, then it would be a 7-6 which is what we have.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Biggest problem with Cool Tech, is that they don't answer their emails or their phone. The tele produces a recording that sounds like a little girl and who promises that emailing is the best way. Now, keep in mind that is for info on buying and shudder to think what happens after you send in your money. I still don't get it with this as whether or not this is a family outfit that both manufactures and sells and if so, where are they operating out of?
For the sake of tech discussion, I just assume the diodes are built in to the harness and there couldn't be a simpler install for a JK Wrangler especially.
The other diode systems out there are ridiculous with their cutting of your toad's wiring and then plugging in the diode bank. If I was to do so, then I'd be taping it up good, so as not for the connectors to fall off.
I don't like drilling into the toad's tail light cases either for an integrated system, but would almost go that route, considering the other aforementioned issues.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring