Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

CR-V concern

So, if the CR-V so popular, and sees to do so well, why do you have to start it, run it and that monkey mess??
Has anybody not do ne that or done it and had drive train problems??
Seems like as much as I hate it, the Jeep products are the best hook it up and go.

Milton
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We towed a Saturn before our CR-V. I always started it after a
few hour drive also. I just want to make sure the oils in the engine
and tranny DO circulate.
I do not find it a problem in doing this.
We also have a charging wire going to the battery to keep it charged.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Milton, you're only looking at about a 4 minute process. Not a big deal for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes the jeep is easier. But the process for the CRV is not a big hassle.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

It takes no more time to hook up a CRV than it does a Jeep. While I do the physical connections DW runs the car through the recommended procedure. She finishes before I do. I check here work and she checks mine... Done.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
It takes no more time to hook up a CRV than it does a Jeep. While I do the physical connections DW runs the car through the recommended procedure. She finishes before I do. I check here work and she checks mine... Done.
Same here...
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Sorry, but you can't just hook up a jeep and go. You have to get transfer case in neutral and either shift manual tran to neutral or follow directions to get auto trans set up to tow. Dave
Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Part of the process needed before beginning to tow the CRV includes a shifting operation that insures that the last gear selected before placing the shifter into neutral, is DRIVE. If you shift from reverse to neutral then begin to tow, you will risk MAJOR transmission damage. Like others have stated, the entire process takes only a few minutes and while that is happening I'm usually occupied getting other things done in preperation for getting underway.

BTW, the new 2015 CRV can not be towed 4 down due to the new Constantly Variable transmission they now use.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler34 View Post
So, if the CR-V so popular, and sees to do so well, why do you have to start it, run it and that monkey mess??
Has anybody not do ne that or done it and had drive train problems??
Seems like as much as I hate it, the Jeep products are the best hook it up and go.

Milton
Milton,
Not exactly sure what process you're describing. Are you talking about what it takes to prep a CRV for the hook-up for towing? Or, are you referring to something about a, start it, run it, every so often WHILE YOU'RE TOWING IT? Maybe others picked right up on what you're asking but, I'm just a tad confused.

If you're talking about hooking up to the CRV in prep for towing it, then as stated, it's not one bit harder to prep a CRV for towing than any other flat towable toad on the market. As in any toad, Jeep, truck, CRV, and a bunch more, there are procedures, ALWAYS outlined in the owners manual of what ever brand/make/model you're towing, that describe, step by step, for flat towing. And, the CRV is, in reality, quite simple.

If you're talking about, after you've hooked up and towed for a while, the need to start the CRV up, run it for a bit, then shut it down and keep towing, there's absolutely no need to do that ON ANY CRV made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Sorry, but you can't just hook up a jeep and go. You have to get transfer case in neutral and either shift manual tran to neutral or follow directions to get auto trans set up to tow. Dave
Absolutely correct. After owning and flat towing, (7) different Jeeps for over 25 years, I kind-a got used to the procedure for flat towing. 'Could do it in my sleep. The time taken for prep for towing a Jeep, is, without a doubt, about the exact same it takes for a CRV, usually about 30 seconds to a minute.

It all boils down to, what you need your toad for. Do you want to play in the outback, do exploration in somewhat rougher territory, plan on running in some light snow, sand, etc.? Well then the Jeep is the way to go. If you don't plan on any of the above and, want a better ride, better gas mileage, etc., then, the CRV is more than likely your better choice.

Setting up a Jeep has options for base plates or, if you've got a custom bumper, then adaptations can be used for flat towing. But, a CRV doesn't have any options. You get a base plate built for it, period. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #10

No issues with our 08 CRV. You do need to run it a little and cycle thru all the gear settings ending with Drive to Neutral. They recommend you run thus cycle evry 8 hours of towing. The other writer is correct the 2015 can't be flat towed due to a new transmission set-up. We have towed well over 20,000 miles with no issues at all. I can't see any time difference in set-up Jeep vs CRV.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The jeep takes the transmission out of the equation by putting the transfer unit into natural, none of the internal gears of the transmission are moving. On the other hand the CRV transmission gears and bearings are moving while being towed down the road and they need to lubricated to ensure no failure. It is also recommend that the CRV be started and run thru the process to lube everything inside every so many miles according to the owners manuel. While the CRV is being towed the uppermost gears will only receive splashed fluid to keep it lubed. My 0.02
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
If the CR-V transmission is in neutral, why are any gears moving? Isn't that the purpose of neutral?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
If the CR-V transmission is in neutral, why are any gears moving? Isn't that the purpose of neutral?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
The drive shaft is still turning which is turning some of the transmission internals. That's why the manual says to shift from Drive into Neutral and not from Reverse to Neutral to ensure the Reverse clutches are released. Lubrication to these moving parts is accomplished only by splash because the pump is not operating without the connection to the engine.

The idea of running for a few minutes after 4-5 hours is simply to distribute fluid through the whole system. Some people do and some don't. Your choice.
Personally, I rarely travel more than four hours so for me, it's a non issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis explained why the engine needs to be run. basically to ensure fresh lubrication is on all the bearings.

I have a 2001 Civic toad, same deal. I run the engine / transmission thru the sequence before we hit the road in the morning. I also start it anytime we pull in for gas, I'll let it run in "N" while I my walkaround to check on everything.

Takes about 3 min to hook up or disconnect, WHen I disconnect, I remove the big pins, and put them and the tow bar in the trunk
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote